• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gone Home: Console Edition
  3. What was the point of this game?

User Info: zombiehunting84

zombiehunting84
3 years ago#1
Seriously was that it? Good thing it was a free Plus game..
PSN: ThePixies Nintendo Network ID: Predator8784
Friend Code: 0576-6779-2137 Predator87

User Info: FF_Fiend

FF_Fiend
3 years ago#2
I'm not usually the type to complain about visual novels, short games, or artsy indie titles that most meatheads deem "pointless." For example, I LOVED Ether One which was another free plus game that was very similar in feel, at least, to Gone Home. I've loved other titles of similar length - I still think The Unfinished Swan is an artistic achievement. But beware - if you criticize this game on the internet, you'll be labeled a COD playing jock who hates homosexuals.

Having just finished the game, and even 100%ing it, it is a snooze. The narrative is weak, the characters are speaking stereotypes, it thinks it's more avante-garde than it is, the easter eggs are negligible, the structure is awful. It feels like they were trying to make Ether One and stopped about 1/16th of the way toward anything resembling either a game OR a narrative. Length is not something I'll complain about, especially having acquired it for free. However, if I had paid the 20 dollar asking price, I'd be suffering deep buyer's remorse right now. I've played mobile games in the same style with the same artistic goals (presented with greater efficacy) for free-1 dollar.

Take it from someone who enjoys this style of game, is very LGBT friendly, and who got the game for free - it's STILL not worth the 1 minute it takes to "beat" it or the hour or so that it would take you to 100% it.
Playing: lots of things.
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg

User Info: Fishels

Fishels
3 years ago#3
Agree and I love these walking sim games. Nice free trophies

User Info: ArcadianGenesis

ArcadianGenesis
3 years ago#4
FF_Fiend posted...
I'm not usually the type to complain about visual novels, short games, or artsy indie titles that most meatheads deem "pointless." For example, I LOVED Ether One which was another free plus game that was very similar in feel, at least, to Gone Home. I've loved other titles of similar length - I still think The Unfinished Swan is an artistic achievement. But beware - if you criticize this game on the internet, you'll be labeled a COD playing jock who hates homosexuals.

Having just finished the game, and even 100%ing it, it is a snooze. The narrative is weak, the characters are speaking stereotypes, it thinks it's more avante-garde than it is, the easter eggs are negligible, the structure is awful. It feels like they were trying to make Ether One and stopped about 1/16th of the way toward anything resembling either a game OR a narrative. Length is not something I'll complain about, especially having acquired it for free. However, if I had paid the 20 dollar asking price, I'd be suffering deep buyer's remorse right now. I've played mobile games in the same style with the same artistic goals (presented with greater efficacy) for free-1 dollar.

Take it from someone who enjoys this style of game, is very LGBT friendly, and who got the game for free - it's STILL not worth the 1 minute it takes to "beat" it or the hour or so that it would take you to 100% it.

Agree about Unfinished Swan - that game was awesome!

Still gonna give this game a shot, though. It's short enough. I'll let you know what I think.
Playing - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Overwatch
Anticipating - Zero Time Dilemma, Star Ocean 5, No Man's Sky

User Info: Anastas617

Anastas617
3 years ago#5
It was an enjoyable little game for free, but I will never understand the awards or the critic scores it got (other than the obvious inflation for no reason other than it has a lesbian story).

Once you reach the "end" it's like, "that's it?" They tried to fool you into believing it was some sort of horror-game with the many "psycho-house" references and eerie sound, but they never fleshed out the Oscar-thing other than a few very old clippings that had little relevance to why everyone thought the house was anything strange.

The mom and dad storylines, both individual and as a couple, were fleshed out a bit more, but still felt lacking.

The ending was almost sad, because of the repercussions they will inevitably have to face.

Lastly, picking up the 75th can of soda for no reason was infuriating. If you are going to put that many things to interact with in the game, at least give them a purpose. I think I only read maybe one note that I wouldn't have seen if I didn't pick up something (a pillow, I think?). I mean, at least let us pour some of that vodka into the shot glass and gulp it down.

Anyways, I have no problem with gay or lesbian, but it was made in 2013 and it isn't like this is a new concept. Let's not throw awards and accolades at a game like this like it was something groundbreaking. Again, I enjoyed the game despite it's many flaws, but I am certainly glad I didn't pay for it.

User Info: ArcadianGenesis

ArcadianGenesis
3 years ago#6
Lol yeah, that was pretty underwhelming. I give it a 6.5/10, maybe 7 if I'm being generous.
Playing - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Overwatch
Anticipating - Zero Time Dilemma, Star Ocean 5, No Man's Sky

User Info: Crauling

Crauling
3 years ago#7
You forgot the spoiler tag in the topic title.

I think it's funny, there's a point, I think in the basement, where you read a note from a lit professor with a Ph.D to his son and tells him he's happy for him and everything, but the son basically wrote a stereotypical novel fulled with cliches. I am the Ph.D father to the Fullbright's cliche-filled 'Gone Home.' For all of their talk about disregarding norms, all of the characters are basically stereotypes. The only interesting part was the end, which was when I would have preferred for the game to begin. I'm not anti-LGBTIQ, but if you're going to make it the focus of your game, there needs to be some sort of pay-off. I award this game a lesbian-friendly 2/5.
It takes the smartest individuals to realize there's always more to learn. - Fallout 3, Intelligence Bobblehead

User Info: zombiehunting84

zombiehunting84
3 years ago#8
Crauling posted...
You forgot the spoiler tag in the topic title.

I think it's funny, there's a point, I think in the basement, where you read a note from a lit professor with a Ph.D to his son and tells him he's happy for him and everything, but the son basically wrote a stereotypical novel fulled with cliches. I am the Ph.D father to the Fullbright's cliche-filled 'Gone Home.' For all of their talk about disregarding norms, all of the characters are basically stereotypes. The only interesting part was the end, which was when I would have preferred for the game to begin. I'm not anti-LGBTIQ, but if you're going to make it the focus of your game, there needs to be some sort of pay-off. I award this game a lesbian-friendly 2/5.

Spoiling what, exactly? LOL, Then you go on to spoil a bunch of crap without marking it? Seriously?
PSN: ThePixies Nintendo Network ID: Predator8784
Friend Code: 0576-6779-2137 Predator87

User Info: foxboro27

foxboro27
3 years ago#9
Point of the game: Push some weird SJW Gay agenda.
There is no mercy in justice.
PSN: UrbanCommando817 Twitter: @MacIver817

User Info: BrownPack

BrownPack
3 years ago#10
*Spoilers* tag just in case.

I have to ask TC.... have you seen everything in this game? have you followed the story closely?

I was one of the people who thought this wasn't worth 20 originally. I beat the story, yadda yadda, etc. I thought it was a waste. That's when I got it on PC. Then it was free on PSN, so I got it again for the sake of having the option to play it here if I ever wanted to. Once it finished downloading, I decided to give it another run. This time, I promised I'd pay attention. The game became so much better the second time around. I appreciated the characters so much more, and my knowledge of why certain things happened has improved so much. I know why they moved into the house, the father's history with the house and the resident(s) and the resident's history. I also learned more about what's going on with the mother (which admittedly was very short and should've been extended into something much deeper)

After playing through this game 3-4 times, I really began to appreciate it. It's a pretty awesome story in my opinion. Yeah it could be better, but I still ended up really enjoying it as it is.

I kinda wish the story was even deeper than it was, and that there were more story (both main and substory) pieces to find in the house. But still, this concept of game opened my eyes and I'm really looking into getting more games like this.
  1. Boards
  2. Gone Home: Console Edition
  3. What was the point of this game?
  • Topic Archived