• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Thumper
  3. Evidently I'm not meant to ever see past Level 5-1.

User Info: houghmanady

houghmanady
2 years ago#1
No idea what I'm doing wrong or how to do it right. Is there a nuance to the timing that anyone can convey?

I absolutely loved how the game is layering on its complexities level by level, but that has ground to a halt with the opening salvo of Level 5. I've tried eyeballing it to no avail. I've tried synchronizing my button presses to an imaginary song beat that I think might be forming. No dice. That jerk of a red light thing is never happy with my attempt to hit the last light in the sequence. The gate out of 5-1 and into 5-2 is in sight.

I so desperately do not want to watch the back half of this amazing game on Youtube.

User Info: FallDragon

FallDragon
2 years ago#2
As someone who majored in music in percussion and has played s*** loads of weird rhythms, the beat gets pretty f***ed in level 5. I'm on 5-23ish and hated the beat this entire time. The overall rhythms being used are highly unintuitive, combined with the switching 6/8 time signature, combined with the red laser sound which also doesn't line up correctly with the rhythm and can throw you off on its own, makes these stages pretty damn unenjoyable compared to the rest I've played. I've resorted to eyeballing + holding x and just hitting the curves right so I don't die for quite a few of the levels. Though thankfully the red light thing doesn't feature too heavily so far.

houghmanady
2 years ago#3
Tonight I tried playing without the VR headset, just using my TV screen, in the hope of concentrating better or having a random breakthrough in the "I'll take whatever I can get" mold.

Nope. Failed another thirty or so times, and have now largely lost hope for continuing. My best friend and his wife dig the game and are making their way through the earlier portions whenever they come over, so they represent my main hope for seeing 5-2 and beyond once they get to it (they've both beaten Level 3, as of last night).

Big bummer, for sure.

User Info: The___Hope

The___Hope
2 years ago#4
What was hard about 5? Don't remember exactly. I don't recall having trouble on that one. I'll play later and hopefully try to post advice.

Was it the one with triple taps?

Wait till you try stage 9... Holy hell was that rough. Fun as hell though!

houghmanady
2 years ago#5
It's the introduction of triple-taps under the watchful eye of that jerk red laser thing which damages you if you miss.

I've been cruising through the game, not too worried about my score but doing my best, delighted at my occasional S rank but oftentimes perfectly fine with staggering through a section with a C grade.

To suddenly be in a "do it perfectly or die" section is a bit of a shock to the system.

User Info: FallDragon

FallDragon
2 years ago#6
Lol, I was just about to recommend playing in VR but.... oh well. I struggled the rest of the way through 5 but I was using my tv/AV reciever for most of that level, and there's likely some sound lag that was messing with me. All rhythm games should have a sound calibration thing like Rock Band just to be sure. Just now I cruised through most of 6 with VR on, so I'm not sure if 6 is just easier than 5 or if getting rid of possible lag/forcing focus helped me get into the beat.

User Info: The___Hope

The___Hope
2 years ago#7
houghmanady posted...
It's the introduction of triple-taps under the watchful eye of that jerk red laser thing which damages you if you miss.

I've been cruising through the game, not too worried about my score but doing my best, delighted at my occasional S rank but oftentimes perfectly fine with staggering through a section with a C grade.

To suddenly be in a "do it perfectly or die" section is a bit of a shock to the system.

Better get used to that. Many more of those laser sections.

As for the triple taps, I guess just practice. I found it easy but can see some trouble.
  1. Boards
  2. Thumper
  3. Evidently I'm not meant to ever see past Level 5-1.
  • Topic Archived