• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. What's competition like when you're <45

User Info: thebest99

thebest99
2 years ago#1
Some of you were smart and picked an offensive character which helped in your placements. For us stupid f*** heads who thought we would use support characters we ended up getting the s*** end of the stick.

Now I know you can still get placed very well playing support. However I noticed most people who played offensively obviously got ranked higher even if you're support knocking out top notch games and whatnot. I ended up getting a rank of 41 while playing support in Competition and pretty much went down to level 38 and here is my thoughts on it for any of you good enough and lucky enough to get ranked in the 50's and 60's.

I've also mostly play Solo que and I do wish I had a nice team to go comp with but time and s*** to do makes it difficult.

First thing first, if you're in the low 40's high 30's you're basically just in quick sand. You cannot escape alone. Thanks to the idiotic way this game does ranking even if you're an awesome player and still lose, you're getting dragged down.

What's worse is the incredibly high amount of people who disconnected or quit games. 3/5 matches I play always end up with one or two people leaving. No one can join in and you're f***ed the rest of the match and you get penalized if you leave the game. You get to stare at a gigantic red box over the scoreboard and can't tell who is taking what and hows the game going, not like it's important. You're losing, because there is 4 of you while you face 6 enemies.

I don't know why there is so many disconnects and quitting that is going on. I would assume most people who are going into competition are looking to get better and prove their worth, instead they just measly fade away mid-match. I've also been faced with the server just...going away and kicking me. Not sure what is going on there as I have never noticed it in QP but in Comp I pray I don't get disconnected.

People pick bad heroes for bad objectives. Today I was doing attack on Anubis and I had a bastion a torb and a symmetra. Needless to say we got clobbered and the best thing is no one ever changed their character. Pretty sweet. I on the other hand am jumping between Widowmaker and Rein to take out turrets and push but it just isn't in the cards.

Often I found myself switching characters multiple times to try and fill one role or another while my teammates just didn't do s***. Every payload map I would pick Rein to push in, but then we have no support healing, I switch to support healing and no one is moving up.

It's an endless of cycle of ridiculous losses because the team just won't cooperate correctly. I put my headset on to try and help out and got hate mail telling me to stop telling people what to do. I guess saying " hey can one of you folks switch to healing, specifically you, the guy who f***ing sucks dick as playing Hanzo on attack" well maybe that last bit is what garnered such a message but I'm pretty sure I was polite.

Here's the thing, I can't get out of this bracket and I heard that the quality of teammates are higher and the tendency to have quitters is less likely, mostly because they're a bit more serious about winning and their rank. I want to try and get to 50 but I just keep playing ping-pong between 39 and 40. Thanks to the ranking system and the weight for every 2 KOTH games I win, if I lose one Payload or assault, I'm right back where I started.

I like Overwatch and I like the 1 hero limit but for those of you fighting the hard fight at the higher levels. Know this. If for some reason you get in this s*** bracket range you might as well just blow your brains out because you can never leave. Ever.

Anyway if anyone is interested in playing Competitive usually late nights, add Dan Harkinz.
Sick Overwatch Gameplay right here fellaz
https://youtu.be/36lJ9-ytXbU

User Info: GamerFreak1993

GamerFreak1993
2 years ago#2
I played solo support was 61 my little brother played solo support and got 59. Don't blame it on being support
Trump 2016: "Make America great again!"
https://watcher.gg/profile/xbl/global/Saxon;mode=1

thebest99
2 years ago#3
Congratulations for some solid placements as support.

As I said, I know many people played support and got ranked higher. I did not, I did not because I wasn't as good as you. I get that, but now I am literally f***ing stuck down here. I regret my decision deeply. I can't escape man, s***.

User Info: Finaliize

Finaliize
2 years ago#4
thebest99 posted...

As I said, I know many people played support and got ranked higher. I did not, I did not because I wasn't as good as you. I get that, but now I am literally f***ing stuck down here. I regret my decision deeply. I can't escape man, s***.

Or did you ever think maybe you're placed where you belong ?

thebest99
2 years ago#5
Finaliize posted...
thebest99 posted...

Yeah I belong at level 40 and lower. I should probably be ranked around 12 or 14.

However, my main concern isn't where I placed. It's how to escape this endless loop of going back and forth from 30 to 40, in solo queue. Even with putting up great scores or w/e it's not enough if I keep losing. How do you win if you're alone and no one will communicate?

That is my biggest issue because if this is going to continue then I might as well just quit competitive unless I am rolling as a 6 man team and with my schedule it just isn't going to happen.

I just really like the 1 hero rule in competitive. I also want a golden gun.

Help me

User Info: GhostCrysis

GhostCrysis
2 years ago#6
I honestly wish I had an answer to this

.thebest99 posted...
Even with putting up great scores or w/e it's not enough if I keep losing. How do you win if you're alone and no one will communicate?

I also solo que as a support but my rank never dropped below 48, right now im sitting at rank 62 still solo que as healer. If my rank were to ever drop that low, i'd probably just ignore the team and play for myself. Play torbjorn build a turret and hide.

User Info: randomsentinel

randomsentinel
2 years ago#7
thebest99 posted...
Some of you were smart and picked an offensive character which helped in your placements. For us stupid f*** heads who thought we would use support characters we ended up getting the s*** end of the stick.

Not trying to humblebrag (and it isn't impressive anyway) but I did 9/10 of my qualifiers as mercy and got placed into 55. Support can get you decent ranks. Even if you feel you're at the mercy (lel) of your teams performance, supports can and need to make good plays to be effective.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xShuffleFM
Gaming related YT channel! Rathalos for MVC3!

User Info: Big_Will_16

Big_Will_16
2 years ago#8
thebest99 posted...
Finaliize posted...
thebest99 posted...

Yeah I belong at level 40 and lower. I should probably be ranked around 12 or 14.

However, my main concern isn't where I placed. It's how to escape this endless loop of going back and forth from 30 to 40, in solo queue. Even with putting up great scores or w/e it's not enough if I keep losing. How do you win if you're alone and no one will communicate?

That is my biggest issue because if this is going to continue then I might as well just quit competitive unless I am rolling as a 6 man team and with my schedule it just isn't going to happen.

Help me

You just said you don't care where you are placed, but complain about being in the high 30's to low 40's?
Xb1 GT: Big Will NLM
destiny all 3 classes 306+, SMITE mains: Kuku, Odin, Scylla, Ah Muzen Cab, Ymir

thebest99
2 years ago#9
Big_Will_16 posted...
thebest99 posted...
Finaliize posted...
thebest99 posted...

Help me

You just said you don't care where you are placed, but complain about being in the high 30's to low 40's?

I don't care about the placement, I care about moving up in rank.

?

User Info: ShadowThief098

ShadowThief098
2 years ago#10
There were definite issues with quitting and the penalties, but most of that has been resolved. I find it convenient, TC, how you blame blizzard, and blame your teamates and everyone else, but not once in your post do you take the blame for your personal rank. You could be performing better, which would make you gain more rank upon winning, and lose less upon losing. Also, you glazed over the fact that you solo queue. That's your fault for playing with randoms and expecting to go positive. This is a team based game, and although the games competitive matchups have an algorithm that tries to match you evenly on both teams with the amount of randoms, at the end of the day you're going to be paired with people who have no communication or chemistry with you. You made your bed, now lay in it, or make another bed. Either way stop blaming everyone else but yourself.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. What's competition like when you're <45
  • Topic Archived