• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Overwatch 2 and the Future of Overwatch

User Info: weasel_dog

weasel_dog
1 month ago#1
So, I've been following the leaks that have come out regarding Overwatch 2 relatively closely, as this is a topic that interests me greatly, and, I have come up with, what I believe to be the most likely scenario.

Overwatch
Continues to exist as the Overwatch that we all know, with continuing updates, new content, and events at a similar (if not somewhat increased, once Overwatch 2 is released) rate. It may go F2P once 2 comes out, but, Overwatch as it exists is too big for Blizzard to abandon now, plus with the Workshop, and the Switch version having just been released, I don't see this game just being dropped by Blizzard. Also, contrary to the original leak, Echo being revealed, and possibly even released as Hero 32 at Blizzcon is looking increasingly likely.

Overwatch 2
Is a separate game entirely. The primary focus of Overwatch 2 is PvE and lore building. A couple leaks have mentioned some PvP elements, but I believe that all the competitive PvP Overwatch will remain with the first game. Both games will exist, be updated, and have new content added in parallel. I have also gotten the sense of some ambiguity in the F2P leaks, and think that it is possible that the F2P game actually ends up being Overwatch 2, and Overwatch 2 having it's own new economy, with microtransactions, and all those lovely things usually associated with F2P games.

This is my theory. Does anyone recall any leaks that refute any of this? I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

User Info: Retroxgamer0

Retroxgamer0
1 month ago#2
i think theyll remove loot boxes as incentive to start over.

User Info: DarxWingDuck

DarxWingDuck
1 month ago#3
Retroxgamer0 posted...
i think theyll remove loot boxes as incentive to start over.

No way... they aren't pulling the plug on the extra money from in game purchases. Even if they remove loot boxes, they'll be replaced with something that's essentially the same.

User Info: DarxWingDuck

DarxWingDuck
1 month ago#4
As I've maintained all along... ow2 will act as an expansion to ow, providing additional content and removing nothing.

This seems like the most logical outcome imo.
(edited 1 month ago)
Overwatch 2 will be the story mode

User Info: Korppi123

Korppi123
1 week ago#6
Ah so no need to buy ow 2 then
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Overwatch 2 and the Future of Overwatch
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers