• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Do you think there's any way to make loot boxes work in any video games?

User Info: GameSmith99

GameSmith99
1 month ago#1
At least, in your opinion?
god rejoined the server.

User Info: Yuggle

Yuggle
1 month ago#2
Yes. Overwatch.

They work perfectly fine in this game. And it should be an example.

Nothing you buy with lootboxes will affect your gameplay or give you an unfair advantage over others.

You can easily use in game currency, or simply earn lootboxes in game to get any specific cosmetics you want.

Those that want to support the game can by buying lootboxes, but have no advantage over a player that does not.

Players that invest alot of time into the game will easily unlock most if the items and have no reason to buy lootboxes anyway.

If there were no lootboxes, there would be little monetisation and we wouldnt get constant free content and updates/balancing.

The only thing i would suggest improvement wise would be to maybe also have a microtransaction to actually buy in game currency with. So players can specifically pay for any skin they like. The main issue with lootboxes is that you pay for a random reward. You dont know if you will get what you want, so its gambling. I can see why people dont like them.

But in Overwatch the positives of having them in the game definetly outweigh the negatives.

User Info: IamI3rian

IamI3rian
1 month ago#3
In free to play games sure.

Loot boxes THEMSELVES are also fine. The very instant you begin charging money for lootboxes however, well, you need to keep the free to play economy in the free to play games. The reason you're always getting dupes or coins is because they charge for lootboxes. Otherwise it would be a matter of WHEN you've unlocked everything, not IF you ever will. Ya know... kinda like how games were four years ago.

Again, this whole "let's spend money to MAYBE get horse armor," blows my mind. When did charging this much for the chance at getting content that should be free become a thing?

I'll tell you when. Overwatch.
You must A) gather your party before venturing forth
________B) construct additional pylons

User Info: psuedospike

psuedospike
1 month ago#4
Overwatch!?

What about TF2, CS:GO, FIFA

I believe the first games to introduce lootboxes were F2P MMOs like Maple Story.
I Never Die!!

User Info: IamI3rian

IamI3rian
1 month ago#5
psuedospike posted...
Overwatch!?

What about TF2, CS:GO, FIFA

I believe the first games to introduce lootboxes were F2P MMOs like Maple Story.

Free to play is fine. = )

It's still a super scummy way to monetize, but it's a free game. FIFA is literally a crime, and figuratively a sex crime. It's absolutely ridiculous what EA does. 2k is no better with NBA.

Again, there shouldn't be a random element included anywhere in gaming involving real money transactions. On top of that, monitization needs to get largely out of triple A titles.

It's absolutely destroy games. Shadows of war, battlefront 2, Forza, etc... completely rebalanced to take your money or be terrible games.

People are simply going to stop buying the terrible games, which will only encourage the publishers to force more microtransactions in the games.

Additionally, and here's the issue, they have set unrealistic growth patterns for their companies. Now a game that "only" makes $500m is considered a commercial flop in many cases. Investors will be angry, and stock prices will drop.

Growth at all costs is the name of the game now, and it's unsustainable. One more year MAX before the bubble bursts, and that's being generous.

Already there's push back, even against overwatch. No one wants these predatory practices in their games. It's not good for addicts, it's not good for children (it's seriously very bad, gambling rates are rising in countries where this is studied because of loot boxes in youths, and yes I know correlation isn't causation but come on...), and it's bad for games and gamers.

Since the infamous "year of the loot box" 2017, underage gambling has risen alarming amounts in other countries.

I don't believe in coincidences.
You must A) gather your party before venturing forth
________B) construct additional pylons

User Info: DarxWingDuck

DarxWingDuck
1 month ago#6
I don't get why anyone spends money on crap that has no impact on the game... and I refuse to play the "pay for success" type games which are nothing but a spending contest.

But others apparently don't have a problem with it... so what do I know... as long as people are willing to pay for it and it's not illegal, then it will be done.

User Info: dmbx

dmbx
1 month ago#7
Yuggle posted...
Yes. Overwatch.

People can hate on Overwatch all they want re: loot boxes, but I personally bought Overwatch half price in 2017, and have spent zero dollars on anything else in-game. In other words, I spent about $40 on the game, and have played it for almost 600 hours. It's a choice to buy loot boxes with real money, and blaming Blizzard for that is bass-ackwards. Lootbox items don't affect gameplay in any way. Sure, I've wanted some legendary event items, but not badly enough to spend real money for the chance to get them. I could even use game gold to buy them if I wanted. I'm perfectly happy with how Blizzard has incorporated loot boxes into Overwatch.

User Info: AzaneAzer

AzaneAzer
1 month ago#8
It's anti-consumer, and sucks for us, but yea, Any game can work loot boxes in some way.

I'm just picturing Tetris with loot boxes, and there's a chance you might get a long block.

User Info: dmbx

dmbx
1 month ago#9
AzaneAzer posted...
It's anti-consumer, and sucks for us, but yea, Any game can work loot boxes in some way.

I'm just picturing Tetris with loot boxes, and there's a chance you might get a long block.

A silly comparison, because again, that would affect gameplay, which in the case of Overwatch, doesn't happen. If the publisher of Tetris (whoever that is) sold loot boxes that offered different colours for tetrominos, for example, or new music, or level backgrounds, or whatever, I'd be okay with that, because that doesn't affect gameplay in any way.

User Info: AzaneAzer

AzaneAzer
1 month ago#10
dmbx posted...
A silly comparison, because again, that would affect gameplay, which in the case of Overwatch, doesn't happen. If the publisher of Tetris (whoever that is) sold loot boxes that offered different colours for tetrominos, for example, or new music, or level backgrounds, or whatever, I'd be okay with that, because that doesn't affect gameplay in any way.

See, I wouldnt be happy at all paying Premium money for f***ing basic f***ing content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce5CDrq4dGg

If you payed 60$ for a Black and White Tetris, and unlocked Colors and backgrounds for 9.99$ lootboxes, or 1 free lootbox everytime you got a perfect 9999999 game. (with a daily cooldown! cause Dailies have to f***ING exist in single player games to trick people into thinking they're getting Loot for Free, when we used to just f***ing call them unlockables).

If Overwatch had come out 2 years earlier, We could of had a hero leveling system (To unlock cosmetics, not Power), and cosmetics unlocked from Feats of Skill or Achievements, instead of being $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  1. Boards
  2. Overwatch
  3. Do you think there's any way to make loot boxes work in any video games?
  • Topic Archived