• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. Are tank builds possible in Nioh?

User Info: DeadBankerDream

DeadBankerDream
4 weeks ago#1
Never tried using heavy armour in the game because I value mobility too much. Was thinking of doing another playthrough and the idea struck me if it was possible to have so much damage reduction that you, within means (like you still have to engage in fights and block and stuff and can't just stand still and eat attacks for days), could actually do a build in the game that plays like a tank in other games, where taking hits is significantly less detrimental to your life? If so, how does it function exactly, and what are the up and downsides to such a playstyle?
"That thick shaft that causes women to shudder!"

User Info: LancetJades

LancetJades
4 weeks ago#2
Not as sure about early difficulties, but later enemies start hitting so strongly that even a build that focus on Life, Defense, and Damage Reduction above all else won't survive more than a few hits from most strong enemies.

The value of a "tank" build is in giving yourself better survivability, not to actually "tank" hits but having a 2-3 hit safety buffer where you can trade with an enemy you'll kill in one shot to more easily dispatch the weaker ones, where a Dragon Ninja build may have more raw damage, but will die to any hit at all.

Tatenashi is the classic tank armor and has an incredibly powerful set of effects for the various set bonuses. It is essential in reaching 100% elemental and ranged damage reduction, gives extra damage for the heavier your equipment is, and an extra dose of Damage Reduction for the full set bonus.I used it as the core of my build right to the end of the Abyss, and it never failed me.

Honestly though, the most powerful and broken effect in the entire game was Reduce Firearms Damage 100%. Complete immunity to all damage and status effects of any ranged attack. I would consider builds that are incapable of achieving it (like Dragon Ninja) to be inferior based solely on that, although obviously those are still very powerful builds.

Worth keeping in mind is that in later difficulties, red enemies and bosses will inflict various debuffs with each hit, and sometimes can even cancel your own buffs if they hit you (including cancelling Quick-Change with the hit that kills you).
A beautiful loss is still a loss, and an ugly win is still a win.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: ZombieAkane

ZombieAkane
2 weeks ago#3
LancetJades posted...
Not as sure about early difficulties, but later enemies start hitting so strongly that even a build that focus on Life, Defense, and Damage Reduction above all else won't survive more than a few hits from most strong enemies.

The value of a "tank" build is in giving yourself better survivability, not to actually "tank" hits but having a 2-3 hit safety buffer where you can trade with an enemy you'll kill in one shot to more easily dispatch the weaker ones, where a Dragon Ninja build may have more raw damage, but will die to any hit at all.

Tatenashi is the classic tank armor and has an incredibly powerful set of effects for the various set bonuses. It is essential in reaching 100% elemental and ranged damage reduction, gives extra damage for the heavier your equipment is, and an extra dose of Damage Reduction for the full set bonus.I used it as the core of my build right to the end of the Abyss, and it never failed me.

Honestly though, the most powerful and broken effect in the entire game was Reduce Firearms Damage 100%. Complete immunity to all damage and status effects of any ranged attack. I would consider builds that are incapable of achieving it (like Dragon Ninja) to be inferior based solely on that, although obviously those are still very powerful builds.

Worth keeping in mind is that in later difficulties, red enemies and bosses will inflict various debuffs with each hit, and sometimes can even cancel your own buffs if they hit you (including cancelling Quick-Change with the hit that kills you).
Thanks I just started playing this game and this is super interesting
Girl Gamer | I like Final Fantasy VII, X and Fire Emblem | I also play Dungeon Boss on Android | PC Gamer Master Race |
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. Are tank builds possible in Nioh?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A