• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. Tips for Getting Back into Nioh?

User Info: MrPenguin7

MrPenguin7
3 months ago#1
I'm not into Souls games (I actually just gave Sekiro a shot recently too but got too annoyed at Genichiro), but I like Team Ninja games and I put around 200hrs into Nioh 1 when it first came out (usually always played co-op) - really enjoyed it. Platinum'd the base game, but not the DLC. Didn't get Nioh 2, but with the collection coming to PS5 I thought I'd go back and try to get into Nioh 1 again on PS4 (cross-play will be nice too). And then one day I'll eventually play Nioh 2 when I have a PS5 so it looks nice.

Problem is, I feel so overwhelmed. Controls, skill trees, loads of stats, armor/inventory... I don't remember anything lol. I am horrible. I tried a DLC co-op mission but the player wasn't helpful and just left me hanging and ran to the boss and we both died (level design was always confusing in this game). I'd really like to Platinum the DLCs as well for 100%, but man it seems like an uphill battle. Part of wants to start all over again, but I don't want to find all the kodamas again, lose all my money, etc.Maybe I'll start with the Dojo tutorials, and then try playing from beginning of Way of the Demon? And stick to the sword to keep things simple?

Any tips would be appreciated. I am horrible and feel so lost after not playing for 2 years lol. I played co-op as a crutch back when, plus it was more fun that way. Any recommended easy-to-play endgame sword builds, quality of life game settings, etc. would be appreciated. I'm lvl 286.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: SuperVergil

SuperVergil
2 months ago#2
Genichiro in Sekiro is a first, nice, test of skill (or potential showstopper). Just get the timing/rhythm for deflects down, don't lose confidence and you'll pummel him; it may sound weird, but with Sekiro and other Souls games you're kind of supposed to go through various deaths… with time, you'll learn your enemy's attack pattern and be ready for payback.

Back to Nioh. Well, I'd say there's technically no need to start from scratch… Yeah, training missions in the Dojo are always accessible, if you need to refresh your combat/movement basics you might go there, or have a nice quick run of the starting difficulty. I'll leave tips concerning builds to other users who are way more knowledgeable about that stuff than I could ever be, but as far as Guardian Spirits are concerned, you might want to use Kato for some time (it provides nice boosts to Close Combat damage, Ki meter and Ki's recovery time… I think it's a decent choice).
Lastly, if you need some help with missions and secondary missions of the various DLC, feel free to get in touch. I won't act as much of a radar, or even be able to actually help you collecting the Kodamas in the DLC packs, but I should be able to help with combat/clear the area a bit.
These days I rarely find a few folks in the second to last mission of the base game and as soon as they notice how much damage I do, those damn rats are all too happy to trigger every enemy and basically let me deal with everything "Solo".
Currently busy with Nioh.
Platinum trophies: https://imgur.com/TiEZwEL

User Info: GodHawkins

GodHawkins
2 months ago#3
The very first level in Kyushu is great to remember the controls and whatnot. With your gear I think it shouldn't give you too much trouble

User Info: MrPenguin7

MrPenguin7
2 months ago#4
SuperVergil posted...
Genichiro in Sekiro is a first, nice, test of skill (or potential showstopper). Just get the timing/rhythm for deflects down, don't lose confidence and you'll pummel him;

Finally just beat Genichiro. Feels good, but I think I need a break from that game after all that frustration lol. I'm just borrowing it for now so I'll think about if I want to continue with it or not.

I think Nioh I will try playing from Way of the Demon to re-learn the game. One thing I enjoyed about Nioh compared to From games is that there's so many options(perhaps too many at times). Souls games I always feel like I have to look up everything before I commit to any leveling decision since there's not as much flexibility in trying things out. Nioh it's fun to try out different builds, skills, etc. since they can all be fun/viable, and respec'ing is easy. Also the mission structure helps when I just want to play for a little bit here and there and not spend time wandering to see where I need to go next.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. Tips for Getting Back into Nioh?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A