• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. What are good builds in this game and how do you even know where to start?

User Info: xblazingsoulx

xblazingsoulx
2 months ago#1
I've summoned people and seen them 2 shot bosses. I'm not sure the range on summoning or what the conditions are but these people are powerful. I use my sword and spear and my magic debuffs but I have no idea how they people do it.

User Info: Boxsterman

Boxsterman
2 months ago#2
"Those People" have probably been playing a year or more, and/or have finished the game and the abyss!

Where do you start? I'd suggest you begin by studying the first 'sticky' post at the top of this board. The author of all that content is Lupinos, and he is still very active in this community. My bet is that he will be chiming in shortly! I would have quit 8 months ago if not for his patient encouragement and guidance.

Welcome to your Nioh journey.

User Info: SGRM

SGRM
2 months ago#3
You can coop into any level you have already beaten. And once you unlock the next difficulty level, the game considers all levels in the previous difficulty complete.

As a general rule, if you are going to summon anyone in this game, expect them to be OP and able to 2 shot the boss.

A general strategy is to play the level on your own, attempt the boss a few times and then summon help if your not getting anywhere. But remember it's waaay more satisfying finally killing Hino-Enma after she has stomped you 15 times then it is watching some Susano LW kusa user just one shot her for you.
Militant men in peaceful times attack themselves.

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
2 months ago#4
I've had enough of Hino-enma and Muneshige on my first playthrough. Those two almost made me quit Nioh.

User Info: callipygias

callipygias
2 months ago#5
I remember summoning for a certain DLC boss when I was in Way of the Wise. I spent hours on her and couldn't make any headway, so I said screw it and summoned. Dude threw like 3 shuriken and she was dead. Like a 5-second fight lol.
And again, this was on Way of the Wise. summons can still be that much stronger than you even then.
I.D. callipygias
Pawn: Honeypot

User Info: SGRM

SGRM
2 months ago#6
callipygias posted...
I remember summoning for a certain DLC boss when I was in Way of the Wise. I spent hours on her and couldn't make any headway, so I said screw it and summoned. Dude threw like 3 shuriken and she was dead. Like a 5-second fight lol.
And again, this was on Way of the Wise. summons can still be that much stronger than you even then.

I summoned someone in a WotN DLC twilight mission last week. After the first 10 sec, I just put my weapon away and ran along behind picking up the loot.

...then I skipped the shrine and his buffs wore off and he died pretty quickly after that lol
Militant men in peaceful times attack themselves.

User Info: atrixospithikos

atrixospithikos
2 months ago#7
xblazingsoulx posted...
I've summoned people and seen them 2 shot bosses. I'm not sure the range on summoning or what the conditions are but these people are powerful. I use my sword and spear and my magic debuffs but I have no idea how they people do it.

Summoning has no range I just finished way of the nioh and now doing the abyss, most of the time I get summoned it’s on way of the samurai.. it’s normal

User Info: Lupinos

Lupinos
2 months ago#8
Oofta. Long day at work. Quarter to 2 and i just got home. No time for breaks. Yeesh.

Where to start with build making really depends on how far you have gotten. In the first playthrough, you'll be swapping equipment too often to really maintain a build.

Once you do, though, it's all about stacking damage modifiers and damage reductions and choosing between raw damage, utilities (like thrown weapons or Living Weapon or ranged weapons), tankiness, mobility, etc.

Do you go lightweight and gain slightly more damage and mobility but barely can block and cannot take a hit unless the enemy is blustered or devigorated? Or do you take a small loss to your damage for the ability to take a hit and jump back to chug an elixir? Would you rather take no damage from projectile attacks or deal significantly better thrown weapons damage or have significantly more ammo?

And at that point... we can help with that.

But the basics...

Every 2 piece set bonus is 2 or 3 % damage reduction. A full set of light armor reduces damage by 11%, medium by 18%, heavy by 30%, some sets (like tatenashi or greater good or heroic raging bull or oyamatsumi) give additional damage reduction so you can reach 50% or even 68% damage reduction (or DR)

Nearly every 4 piece set bonus is close combat damage - 10% for sets and 13% for ethereal graces. There are some exceptions: like Sanada Crimson gives skill damage instead, kigetsu gives it as a 3 piece bonus, takeminekata gives it as a 5 piece bonus, a few graces give 15% instead of 13, mid-heaven's light gives CCD (full-health) but generally speaking; 4 piece set bonuses are close combat damage (we call it CCD)

Your stats do affect your damage some - but not by a lot. Most of your damage is about stacking CCD, skill damage, CCA (close combat attack, which is different to CCD), damage bonuses, attack increases, but most of all - by the level of your weapon.

Now... this may be a bit much for now. Or maybe you've got it. So let me give the "this basically means" and then leave a link to the document of mine talking about stacking this damage and damage reductions in case you want to read more into it.

But what this basically means is this; for any build, you want 2 of the 4 piece set bonuses to stack a quick 20% close combat damage. You want to reforge or temper close combat damage, familiarity damage bonus A, and change to attack (stat) A for your highest stat - onto your melee weapon. You also want a damage bonus on your ranged weapons - likely agility damage bonus A (especially if lightweight) unless you have 30.1 kg or more weight equipped; in which case you want equipment weoght damage bonus instead.

Beyond that, there is an increase attack you can put on each armor piece and a ton of other stuff - but that can all wait until way of the wise or way of the nioh or abyss. The rest of it is all about picking your 3 piece, 5 piece, 6 piece, 7 piece, etc set bonuses that boost your specific playstyle. For that, you really just need to look over a list and find what would make what you use more powerful.

But skill attacks become the go-to for high damage, so it is best to have some form of skill damage in addition to your CCD.

I'm rambling and it is really complicated and those visitors' high damage is because of their high level equipment - so I'm just going to shut up, link the stacking document, and watch into the spiderverse.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mfHzum3ufwJmqjNWgqPHvHYPWHE1gP3g4vxxFysVkVA/edit?usp=drivesdk

But keeping a build is very difficult in the first playthrough unless you farm it from player revenants.

For your first playthrough, just try to get all stats to 20 by the end and keep swapping to higher level equipment.

Keep your equipped weight ratio below 70%, don't use armor with greyed out stats, and don't let your weapon level get very far below the level of the loot that drops. And have fun ;)
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, while expecting different results. (As defined by Einstein)
Maybe we're all a little crazy.

User Info: Lupinos

Lupinos
2 months ago#9
I hope we didn't confuse you with all that. He rambles a lot, I'm going to try and be more concise and pass out.

So: soul matching (primary means of increasing equipment level) gets more expensive the further from the original level an item gets. Because of this, having a build in your first playthrough is incredibly difficult.

After you beat the game, most folks have a build or two for each playthrough / difficulty - except folks like me who hoarde resources and make a build in the 5th (final) difficulty.

Most of your damage comes from your weapon level - and for the first difficulty you don't have enough stamina to equip heavier armor so most of your ability to take a hit comes from defense. Later, that will change and it will primarily be from the amount of damage reduction you have - which is related to armor class.

Most builds are about selecting 2 sets you like and using them to boost your damage. A yasakani magatama allows you to have more set bonuses than normal and is fairly essential in building later on.

Your stats do increase your damage - but by a flat rate that doesn't get fed through your damage boosts; so it is a very tiny boost compared to your level and the mods you put on your equipment.

Nobody really knows the damage equation, but we approximate it the best we can. Like so:

Attack (from weapon level) we'll call A
CCD (from set bonuses and mods) we'll call C
CCA (from set bonuses and accessories and mods) we'll call B (because we can)
Skill damage we'll call S
Damage bonuses we'll call db and we'll have one on melee weapon, one on ranged weapon, one from set or guardian spirit
Each armor piece can trigger increase attack, we'll call that T. So

A*B*C*db1*db2*db3*T1*T2*T3 = damage
Add in *S for skill attacks

So most builds are about stacking as much CCD and CCA and skill damage and damage bonuses as we can - unless you are like me and prefer a challenge; then it is about spreading them out and boosting as many utilities as you can so you have decent melee damage and thrown weapons damage and ki damage and Living Weapon damage, etc.

But for the first go through, just

Lupinos posted...
farm player revenants for gear with good mods

try to get all stats to 20 by the end of the game, keep swapping to higher level equipment for better attack/defense, keep your equipped weight ratio below 70%, don't use armor with greyed out stats, and don't let your weapon level get very far below the level of the loot that drops

Lupinos posted...
And have fun ;)

Haha. I'm going to sleep - but i figured he was probably really random and rambly with his explanations and that i could do better (he and i are the same person but... different.)

If you have any questions we'll totally help the best we can.

And um... if you see CCD (preferably 15-20%) or familiarity damage bonus A (the A is important) or change to attack (stat) A as an inheritable - save it. You can transfer it to other weapons and that's a good way to keep at least one good mod while you are constantly switching.

GNite. I've gotta be awake in like, 5 hours... I'm passing out.

I hope i was a lot clearer than he was (again, me but like, in the previous comment.) Hahahahaha
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, while expecting different results. (As defined by Einstein)
Maybe we're all a little crazy.

User Info: xblazingsoulx

xblazingsoulx
2 months ago#10
I've been using my sword in mid and high stances and my spear in mid and high stances. I try to kill the enemy as soon as possible so I don't have to take damage but if I do I like to be able to survive it. For bosses I debuff them as much as possible and damage them as much as I can till I'm out of talismans, I mostly do it without my living weapon because that doesn't seem to last that long even though I'm with the Date clan, guardian is Enko. I've been trying to keep my weight at 70 but that involves skipping out on armor that's better because its weight puts me above 70 , my stamina is at 20 which seems to me like the cap for stat increase.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. What are good builds in this game and how do you even know where to start?
  • Topic Archived