• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
  3. So Many Yakuza titles... Where to begin?

User Info: AsimLeonheart

AsimLeonheart
9 months ago#1
I have never played a Yakuza game but I am looking to get into Yakuza series. However, whenever I plan to do it, I get overwhelmed by all the sequels, remakes, and remasters on the market. I dont have the budget or time to buy and play all of them but I dont want to miss important story and context either. Where should a newcomer like me begin from? Is Yakuza 6 a good entry point? Thanks.
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter World
PSN ID: AsimMehmood

User Info: LJRENEGADE

LJRENEGADE
9 months ago#2
I'd say Yakuza 0. Chronologically, it takes place before every other game in the series and its also considered to be one of the best. Its a great place to jump in. Its also a pretty recent game, its on PS4.

After that, there's the $30 Yakuza Kiwami, a remake of the very first Yakuza game. That would also be a good spot to jump in and I definitely recommend playing Kiwami before 6. Its worth noting that Yakuza 0 is a new thing, whereas Kiwami is a remake of a PS2 game, so you'll see a lot more jankyness in the latter.

I really would recommend not starting with Yakuza 6, but if you really wanted to, you could probably get by. Though like I said, I'd recommend at least playing Kiwami before 6. The rest you can skip, but knowing who some of the characters are from Kiwami is important for 6 imo.

After those, there's Yakuza Kiwami 2, a remake of the second game, which comes out in English this August. The rest of the games are on PS3, but they're not all necessary to play 6. For preparing for 6, I'd say play Kiwami and read a recap of Yakuza 5, which Yakuza 6 actually includes in the main menu. You can read a recap for all the games in the main menu of 6. 0 isn't necessary to play 6 but its one of the best so its definitely worth playing just for that.

User Info: AsimLeonheart

AsimLeonheart
9 months ago#3
LJRENEGADE posted...
I'd say Yakuza 0. Chronologically, it takes place before every other game in the series and its also considered to be one of the best. Its a great place to jump in. Its also a pretty recent game, its on PS4.

After that, there's the $30 Yakuza Kiwami, a remake of the very first Yakuza game. That would also be a good spot to jump in and I definitely recommend playing Kiwami before 6. Its worth noting that Yakuza 0 is a new thing, whereas Kiwami is a remake of a PS2 game, so you'll see a lot more jankyness in the latter.

I really would recommend not starting with Yakuza 6, but if you really wanted to, you could probably get by. Though like I said, I'd recommend at least playing Kiwami before 6. The rest you can skip, but knowing who some of the characters are from Kiwami is important for 6 imo.

After those, there's Yakuza Kiwami 2, a remake of the second game, which comes out in English this August. The rest of the games are on PS3, but they're not all necessary to play 6. For preparing for 6, I'd say play Kiwami and read a recap of Yakuza 5, which Yakuza 6 actually includes in the main menu. You can read a recap for all the games in the main menu of 6. 0 isn't necessary to play 6 but its one of the best so its definitely worth playing just for that.

Thank you for your detailed reply. So I guess should play Yakuza 0 first and Yakuza 6 after that. I dont think I will like Kiwami since it is a PS2 era game and I might notice a lot of outdated and inconvenient systems in there which might make the game hard to enjoy for me.
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter World
PSN ID: AsimMehmood

User Info: Ren2

Ren2
9 months ago#4
Yakuza 0 is the best starting point. Not only because it is chronologically the first one, but it is also the best one for a strong first impression.

AsimLeonheart posted...
I dont think I will like Kiwami since it is a PS2 era game and I might notice a lot of outdated and inconvenient systems in there which might make the game hard to enjoy for me.

It is not. Kiwami is a full on remake, using the same systems as Y0.

User Info: TheNintendoer

TheNintendoer
9 months ago#5
Kiwami is definitely playable today, since they updated most of the PS2-era stuff. That said, I wouldn't start with it. 0 is probably about the best starting point, and from there you could either breeze through Kiwami quickly, or go straight to 6.

User Info: LJRENEGADE

LJRENEGADE
9 months ago#6
Kiwami is still very playable since it uses the same gameplay as 0, but slightly improved. Like I said though, I really recommend playing Kiwami before 6 because some of the most important characters in 6 are introduced in Kiwami. You don't need to play it beforehand, but I think its a good idea. 0 is pretty standalone.

User Info: megamanx1291

megamanx1291
9 months ago#7
I don't know man, you'd be aware what will be going on by playing through 0 , Kiwami and 6 but you'll be missing out on key characters and who they are in 6. I really reccomend playing through 3, 4 and 5 as well. 3 introduces a whole new set of characters. You'll also get to appreciate how Kamarucho changed through the years.
ASRock AB250 PRO 4|Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz|MSI GTX 1060 6GB|G.skill Flash x 2x8|Windows 10
Playing; A hat in time, Nioh (PC)

User Info: Ren2

Ren2
9 months ago#8
megamanx1291 posted...
I don't know man, you'd be aware what will be going on by playing through 0 , Kiwami and 6 but you'll be missing out on key characters and who they are in 6. I really reccomend playing through 3, 4 and 5 as well. 3 introduces a whole new set of characters. You'll also get to appreciate how Kamarucho changed through the years.

To be honest, most of the cast in Y6 is new.

User Info: zhangkairong

zhangkairong
9 months ago#9
It's a tough one, to be honest. I think both Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 4 were more open to the newcomers - Y3 started off with a whole different style and location compared to Y1 and Y2, and to start with, there were only two prequels that should have been a concern. Y4 was even better, as 75% of the times you are playing with completely new characters and exploring new storylines, there are less references to previous games. In terms of this, 5 was sort of similar to 4, with the exception that it mostly followed the characters introduced in 4, but still, could follow and appreciate everything. I'm not sure about 6, as it's more like a direct sequel to Y5, similar to a TV show's episodes.
If I were you, I would start with Y0, play through Kiwami, and play 4 and 5 on PS3. That basically gives you a sort of full picture.

User Info: JGtrance88

JGtrance88
9 months ago#10
0 absolutely. It’s honestly the best one.
Japanese studios only, please.
  1. Boards
  2. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
  3. So Many Yakuza titles... Where to begin?
  • Topic Archived