• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Undertale
  3. Undertale Vs. Earthbound

User Info: slaterastle

slaterastle
4 months ago#11
grant_davis posted...
EarthBound by a mile. Undertale is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it honestly doesn't even come close to EarthBound. And to anyone who says that I only prefer EarthBound because of the nostalgia, let me tell you this: I played Undertale before I even knew EarthBound existed. Nostalgia isn't a factor, I prefer EarthBound because it is honestly a better game.

The story, written by the genius Shigesato Itoi, is among the greatest video game stories ever written. It's a touching tale of a boy growing up, and the bright colors, wacky dialogue, and cheerful music reflect that perfectly. However, at the end of the game, Ness must confont the evil that is Giygas, and come to see the world for how it really is. He begins his journey as a boy, but he returns as a young man. This story of growing up surpasses anything in Undertale, and really brings out the inner childhood innocence in us all.

Next, I'll analyze the graphics. Undertale's graphics are nothing special, with inconsistent styles, terrible scaling, and weird spritework. EarthBound, on the other hand, has art that perfectly reflects the mood the game tries to convey--a brightt, colorful, cartoony world seen through the eyes of a child. The game wasn't designed to look flashy or complex--it was designed to bring out the inner child in the player.

Now, I'll compare the music. Undertale, while it has a memorable and emotional soundtrack, doesn't even come close to the glory that is EarthBound's music. With so many different styles, emotions, and genres, the soundtrack of EarthBound is a masterpiece. It was one of the first games to use creative sampling in its music, and the hard work put into it really shows.

Next, I'll go over the gameplay. Undertale's gameplay is certainly more unique, but the bullet-hell combat system really takes away from the strategy that makes RPG's so fun for me. It really just didn't have the same feel to it, and the random encounters kind of drove me crazy. And if anyone says that EarthBound is too grindy, I have two things to tell you. One, EarthBound isn't actually very grindy at all. Almost all the battles can be avoided, and the game weights boss EXP, reducing the amount of grinding you have to do. Also, Undertale has an entire route that is completely devoted to grinding! And even after you've killed all the monsters in the area, you STILL get encounters, but there aren't any monsters to fight!

Now, I'll go over characters. Undertale's characters are more developed, but they all seem to revolve around one or two personality traits. Sans is lazy. Papyrus is ambitious and innocent. Alphys is shy. Undyne is aggressive (and sometimes terrifyingly violent). See what I mean? EarthBound's characters, however, have more personality. Even though they never speak, their actions speak volumes. Ness is dear to so many because even though he never speaks, his journey of growing up, making new friends and exploring the world touched us all. EarthBound didn't need dialogue to develop it's characters. The characters developed themselves. Thank you for listening to my TED talk

Even these paragraphs are too long, and you put all six into one. I did this so I could read it sanely.

Anyway, congrats on liking Earthbound more. I like Undertale more but to each his own.

I have no control of the events of the universe. I only control which timeline I see.

User Info: grant_davis

grant_davis
4 months ago#12
slaterastle posted...
Even these paragraphs are too long, and you put all six into one. I did this so I could read it sanely.

Anyway, congrats on liking Earthbound more. I like Undertale more but to each his own.

Haha sorry I went a little overboard there

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
3 months ago#13
EarthBound by a mile. Undertale is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it honestly doesn't even come close to EarthBound.

Doesn't come close? Despite Undertale not even trying to be a deep RPG, it has about as much depth as Earthbound's battle system and certainly more creativity. This isn't a celebration of Undertale...this is an indictment on how bland and uncreative Earthbound's combat and gameplay was.

It was a cool game in concept and story but was a terrible slog to play. Even by the SNES standards of the time, it felt like a very "NES-era" RPG with none of the innovation of the games at the time. The sales on the thing weren't great at the time as a result and the game's only famous due to it's cult status and Nintendo's shameless and endless promotion of the game when it came out.

The story, written by the genius Shigesato Itoi, is among the greatest video game stories ever written. It's a touching tale of a boy growing up, and the bright colors, wacky dialogue, and cheerful music reflect that perfectly.

You've got to be kidding me. It's a unique story because of the setting and how the game added humor and poked fun at RPG tropes but the "touching tale" nonsense loses everyone here. Also, this tells me that you haven't played the game in years...you're looking at it through the eyes of the ten-year-old that you were when you played it...and every video game story seems amazing at that age.

This story of growing up surpasses anything in Undertale,

Wait, so the EXTREMELY generic storyline of a teenaged boy joining with a plucky group of heroes and defeating some great evil somehow surpasses the extremely creative themes and story we saw in Undertale? So recycling the same story that 85% of all JRPGs have done over history is somehow so much better than what Undertale did? Did I read this right?

The game wasn't designed to look flashy or complex--

Was the game being a total bore to play with bland dungeons, ugly colors, and high encounter rates also a part of the "design?"

Next, I'll go over the gameplay.

Buddy, the next time you copy/paste something from another source, at least add in paragraph breaks to the spots where they were clearly intended.

but the bullet-hell combat system really takes away from the strategy that makes RPG's so fun for me.

So Undertale was bad because it added something new and unique and fun and because it didn't completely copy all the RPGs that came before it?

And if anyone says that EarthBound is too grindy, I have to things to tell you. One, EarthBound isn't actually very grindy at all.

I can actually agree on this. If you play through and don't run from fights, you should be pretty steady in Earthbound. The game gets a bad rep for grinding because all the best weapons are tied behind annoying 1% drop rates on many late-game enemies...but you don't need any of them.

Almost all the battles can be avoided,

Okay, now you're speaking silly. And are you seriously suggesting folks just run from all fights? That's even worse than fighting them.

Also, Undertale has an entire route that is completely devoted to grinding!

That is completely optional and most people didn't bother with. Also, if you want to call the 15 minutes it takes to clear out an area as "grinding," then so be it. This is a bad point.

See what I mean? EarthBound's characters, however, have more personality. Even though they never speak, their actions speak volumes.

Whelp, you just declared that a silent protagonist has more personality than people who speak. You're a f***ing loon.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk

TEDTalk would never accept an argument filled with such holes. 2/10 at best.
  1. Boards
  2. Undertale
  3. Undertale Vs. Earthbound
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A