• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Undertale
  3. I'm not big on RPGs but will I like Undertale?

User Info: FurryBoi

FurryBoi
1 year ago#1
I keep hearing praise for the game and it has me interested...Will I like it?
Nothing can top Metroid Prime :P

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
1 year ago#2
Depends on what you don't like about RPGs to be honest. Because it's light on "RPG" elements.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

FurryBoi
1 year ago#3
ArtiRock posted...
Depends on what you don't like about RPGs to be honest. Because it's light on "RPG" elements.
Like I don't like how turn based battles work unless they're interactive within doing an attack. I also don't like bland exploration if you know what i mean. Hence why I don't like Final Fantasy or Pokemon.

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
1 year ago#4
FurryBoi posted...
Like I don't like how turn based battles work unless they're interactive within doing an attack. I also don't like bland exploration if you know what i mean. Hence why I don't like Final Fantasy or Pokemon.
The fights are "turn" based in the sense that you take turns between you and the enemy, but they are interactive on both attacking and defending depending on the route you take. When defending, it's a bit of a dodge mini-game that has a bullet hell component based on the enemy formations. The exploration is there, but it's fairly limited. Nothing really noteworthy for puzzles tbh.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

User Info: SamuelTilden

SamuelTilden
1 year ago#5
Undertale isn't really an RPG. The game parodies RPG tropes like leveling up and turn-based combat, but those elements aren't a major part of the game. Undertale has much more in common with a Telltale narrative adventure game where the choices you make and the overall story are the focus rather than the gameplay.

User Info: BrerOswald

BrerOswald
1 year ago#6
FurryBoi posted...
Yes. I’m the same as you. I pretty much only like this and the Mario RPGs
#1 resident Disney Parks Expert on GameFAQs and one heck of a terrible Banjo-Kazooie player if I do say so myself.

FurryBoi
1 year ago#7
BrerOswald posted...
Yes. I’m the same as you. I pretty much only like this and the Mario RPGs
same. The Mario RPGs are awesome! Too bad the M&L series won't continue but at least we are getting a new paper mario game around the corner!

User Info: Raven_Cyarm

Raven_Cyarm
1 year ago#8
You will love Undertale. Gamefaqs itself voted it as the best game of all time for a reason.
Caw CAWWWWWWWW

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
1 year ago#9
Undertale isn't really an RPG.

It's definitely an RPG. That's how you play the game.

What should be said is the game is definitely more on the experience, interactions and story elements than it is about fighting and such. It's also up to the player...you can play the game like a traditional RPG and get some fun brawls or play it passively and skip a lot of that.

Too bad the M&L series won't continue

Nonsense. Nintendo can always hand it off to someone else if they want.

User Info: kirbyfan99

kirbyfan99
11 months ago#10
Hotel_Security posted...
Undertale isn't really an RPG.

It's definitely an RPG. That's how you play the game.

What should be said is the game is definitely more on the experience, interactions and story elements than it is about fighting and such. It's also up to the player...you can play the game like a traditional RPG and get some fun brawls or play it passively and skip a lot of that.

Too bad the M&L series won't continue

Nonsense. Nintendo can always hand it off to someone else if they want.
Yeah, next Mario RPG developer will be BetaDream.
I play SM64DS, Kirby's (Extra) Epic Yarn, and Mario Sports Mix. Current SM64DS Challenge: No A Button.
3DS Friend Code: 3154 0042 7762
  1. Boards
  2. Undertale
  3. I'm not big on RPGs but will I like Undertale?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A