• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. ...it seems like cashing in my 7-day right after reset always gives me a Latias

User Info: Taily_Po

Taily_Po
1 month ago#1
...well, for this promo anyway. I know it's RNG, but it's an insane coincidence.
"If I were a ghost, this is certainly the kind of place I'd haunt."
(\/)(\/)|-|

User Info: Xenozoa425

Xenozoa425
1 month ago#2
I've gotten 2 Groudon on my main and 2 Latios on the backup so far.
"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it."

User Info: ToneDeaf

ToneDeaf
1 month ago#3
Taily_Po posted...
...well, for this promo anyway. I know it's RNG, but it's an insane coincidence.

You've gotten something with 1/4 odds 3 times. That's not insane lol.

User Info: ssbmrocks

ssbmrocks
1 month ago#4
Some people really don’t understand how RNG works.
I ask the important questions.

User Info: Taily_Po

Taily_Po
1 month ago#5
ToneDeaf posted...
Taily_Po posted...

You've gotten something with 1/4 odds 3 times. That's not insane lol.

7 times out of 7, maybe 8.

ssbmrocks posted...
Some people really don’t understand how RNG works.

See above.
"If I were a ghost, this is certainly the kind of place I'd haunt."
(\/)(\/)|-|
GreedoShootsFirst 1 month ago#6
I know that I've gotten a Groudon once, but it's always a Latias. I don't delete them (yet), and looking back, that one Groudon has been my one interruption to a steak of Latias that dates back to when it was first introduced.

So TC isn't crazy. Now I'm curious, it's 1/4. What are the others, Latias, Latios, Groudon, and Kyogre?
BALTIMORE RAVENS

User Info: UragaanaDie

UragaanaDie
1 month ago#7
Mm... latias steak..

I got a latias my first week then a latios the next, both between midnight and 1am on a Sunday, so it's not as simple as a specific hour and a day. My guess is they're weighted higher than groudon/kyogre like the egg mons are.
And be worn by Radobaan!

User Info: benbeverfaqs

benbeverfaqs
1 month ago#8
It seems the rewards are weighted, just like egg hatches, some are more common than others. Fot the July-August rewards it seems Latias is very common, and Kyogre and Groudon are rare.

Someone posted 1/4 odds. But that is an assumption or guess.

Here is my data for July-August. It's 3/3 Latias. That is a 1/4*4*4 or 1/64 chance if it wasn't weighted. That is already low enough to suspect it might me weighted. If enough people post their rewards since July, odds could be calculated.

July-August 2019 (Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon)
18-7 Latias
12-7 Latias
4-7 Latias

May-June 2019 (Lugia, Ho-oh, Latias, Latios) (data added for comparison/reference)
27-6 Latias
20-6 Shiny Lugia
13-6 Lugia
6-6 Lugia
29-5 Latios
23-5 Ho-oh
15-5 Latios
8-5 Latios

What also doesn't help is that Latias has been a reward since May, and that it has been the worst reward since then. People usually rather have the better Latios, Lugia or Ho-oh, or the much better Kyogre or Groudon. Psychologically speaking negative events are remembered as bigger than positive events, so people are likely to remember their Latios streak.

User Info: galeongirl

galeongirl
1 month ago#9
... conformation bias really is strong here.

A ONE person experience is nowhere near enough evidence to base an opinion on if something is weighted or not.

Come back when your n = large enough to be representative. Until then, it's a random 1/4 chance.

User Info: benbeverfaqs

benbeverfaqs
1 month ago#10
galeongirl posted...
... conformation bias really is strong here. A ONE person experience is nowhere near enough evidence to base an opinion on if something is weighted or not. Come back when your n = large enough to be representative. Until then, it's a random 1/4 chance.

One person got a 7 Latias streak, which means 3/3 Latias in this Quest Breakthrough period.
One person reports 1 Groudon and the rest Latias, which means 2/3 Latias this period.
One person reports 1 Latias and 1 Latios, so 1/2.
One person reports 3 Latias this period, so 3/3.

One Person getting a 3 Latias streak out of 4 possible pokémon is a chance of 1/64, or 1/16 for each pokémon. That's small enough of a chance to suspect a weighted balance. Four persons getting 9 Latios out of 11 pokémon suggest a weighted balance, that chance, if it was an even 1/4, is really small.
I saw people on Reddit talking about weighted Latios chances, and Latios streaks, as well.

The random 1/4 chance is an assumption. An even chance was never announced or confirmed by Niantic. In fact, the 1/4 chance is the only bias in this topic.

A suspicon that something might be weighted is not "confirmation bias"
Here is what confirmation bias actually means:
A confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves favoring information that confirms your previously existing beliefs or biases.

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. ...it seems like cashing in my 7-day right after reset always gives me a Latias
  • Topic Archived