You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. What's the difference between spoofing and IV scanning bots?

User Info: Sega_System

Sega_System
1 week ago#11
MeowMixCDs posted...

Choose your battles, man.

Yeah, I'll be quiet on Discord because I don't need anyone taking offense and banning me. I just needed to vent really.
I'm so powerful, Leeroy Jenkins shouts my name when running into battle.

User Info: MeowMixCDs

MeowMixCDs
1 week ago#12
verylatebloomer posted...
MeowMixCDs posted...
piraya.

at first, i was like "is that some japanese word i don't know?...

then i thought...maybe that is an autocorrected or non-english-native guess at "pariah"?

I just didn't bother looking up the correct way to spell it. The censor didn't say it was incorrect so I assumed I guessed correctly.

User Info: ToneDeaf

ToneDeaf
1 week ago#13
Both are against the rules but one of them brings the community together whereas the other promotes isolation.
galeongirl posted...
But spoofers constantly taking over the entire neighbourhood's gyms (up to 20 at a time)... f***ing annoying for the local players.

Where do you guys live where this is so rampant? If anything, real life players are territorial over their gyms. I live in a massive city, and the closer you get to ground zero downtown, you won't hold the gym for 10 minutes. The further you get away, the longer you hold. It's on constant rotation, and people really do love fighting over those gyms on constant rotation. I work at a university, and during semester weekdays, the gyms are active. Summer, spring break? Have fun holding your gym for a month. Suburbs? It's luck of the draw, like I said, some people are extremely territorial, and others rotate on a friendly 8 hour basis. It's not uncommon for me to have a friend knock me out of a gym before it gets late and I'm stuck without getting paid.

I've never seen a hostile Mad Max type of environment where an entire piece of my state is being taken over by spoofers. Personally, I could give a s***. I secretly get giddy when a level 40 ghost pops up in a raid of 5 dudes and wrecks absolute s***.
BALTIMORE RAVENS

User Info: FaustXII

FaustXII
1 week ago#15
What is spoofing??

User Info: kyujo

kyujo
1 week ago#16
Yeah, I'm with you TC. Our local admins have decided similar, but it's largely physically present people giving grief to others and being territorial. Some of the worst I've heard of are local fringe groups who refuse to play with any other players and by the time we run into the rejected people they're sheepishly asking if they can raid with us. I'm just out to play a game, don't really get what a lot of people are going for.
Current Game(s): Ys VIII, God of War,
Must-watch: Legion, AoS, Gotham

User Info: galeongirl

galeongirl
1 week ago#17
GreedoShootsFirst posted...
galeongirl posted...
But spoofers constantly taking over the entire neighbourhood's gyms (up to 20 at a time)... f***ing annoying for the local players.

Where do you guys live where this is so rampant? If anything, real life players are territorial over their gyms. I live in a massive city, and the closer you get to ground zero downtown, you won't hold the gym for 10 minutes. The further you get away, the longer you hold. It's on constant rotation, and people really do love fighting over those gyms on constant rotation. I work at a university, and during semester weekdays, the gyms are active. Summer, spring break? Have fun holding your gym for a month. Suburbs? It's luck of the draw, like I said, some people are extremely territorial, and others rotate on a friendly 8 hour basis. It's not uncommon for me to have a friend knock me out of a gym before it gets late and I'm stuck without getting paid.

I've never seen a hostile Mad Max type of environment where an entire piece of my state is being taken over by spoofers. Personally, I could give a s***. I secretly get giddy when a level 40 ghost pops up in a raid of 5 dudes and wrecks absolute s***.

I live in the netherlands, rather dense area with lots of gyms/stops. And some days you just get your entire neighbourhood coloured red, with the same 3 spoofers in there. It's impossible to keep fighting them, really annoying. And they also take over the furthest gyms, in a nature park that isn't accessible at night. That's how we found out they were spoofing initially, because the gates close at 5pm you cannot be there later. Yet they still took over the gyms around 8-9pm.

I never get to hold a gym longer than a day, which is good for the coins I guess. A month is pretty sick. Usually when it's people from our Discord, we give each other the 8 hours and take over afterwards so that's nice.

User Info: BBQ_Soda

BBQ_Soda
1 week ago#18
Are you in a small town or suburban/rural area?
Some small communities can be very hostile to outsiders (i.e. people they don't know), to the point of being toxic. Their area might have been hit by spoofers, so their defensive response is to assume everyone they don't know to be a spoofer and ostracize them.

User Info: galeongirl

galeongirl
1 week ago#19
BBQ_Soda posted...
Are you in a small town or suburban/rural area?
Some small communities can be very hostile to outsiders (i.e. people they don't know), to the point of being toxic. Their area might have been hit by spoofers, so their defensive response is to assume everyone they don't know to be a spoofer and ostracize them.

Read what I posted... they were in gyms they could not have physically reached at that hour. They are 100% spoofers and still around, but it's less annoying now. And no my local pogo community is about 250 people, so I wouldn't call that small. We just hate cheaters.

User Info: hawkeye2188

hawkeye2188
1 week ago#20
FaustXII posted...
What is spoofing??

Spoofing usually refers to altering your GPS location so you can catch Pokemon from regional specific parts of the world.

What is shaving?
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. What's the difference between spoofing and IV scanning bots?