You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. What's the difference between spoofing and IV scanning bots?

User Info: Sega_System

Sega_System
1 week ago#1
My Discord admins hate spoofers. If they find out someone's a spoofer, they're banned from Discord, looked down upon, and often targeted so they are booted swiftly out of gyms. No exceptions.

Yet these same admins use bots that roam the town and scan for IVs. One has just put a call out asking for people to donate iPhones so they can keep things running smoother and get more accurate scans.

Personally, I think both are equally against the spirit of the game. I wouldn't do it myself, but I understand that some people prefer to play that way.

What I don't understand is how they can be so against one, yet actively endorse and contribute to the other. I think it's highly hypocritical.

What do you guys think?
I'm so powerful, Leeroy Jenkins shouts my name when running into battle.

User Info: dr_burger92

dr_burger92
1 week ago#2
Spoofing can be used to grief other players. Checking for IVs doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. It's just points of a stat that doesn't matter in PVP more than an extra tap of the screen.

That said, I do agree that they're against the spirit of the game. I'd even say driving around and playing from your car and using multiple accounts are too. But I'm guilty of those myself.
Are you seriously asking if something is stupid about an economy made up out of hats?

Sega_System
1 week ago#3
I should point out:

These admins hate it when spoofers put regionals into gyms, because it messes with their Pokedex stats.

But if they're using scanners, driving to collect everything, and therefore evolving things quicker than most people, then putting those things in gyms, they are messing up other people's Pokedex stats in a similarly unfair way.

Also:

One of these admins was recently caught shaving players out of a gym so she and her two friends could fill it back up with their Pokemon.

User Info: dr_burger92

dr_burger92
1 week ago#4
Shaving's crappy to do, and kinda makes them seem like hypocrites.

What do you mean by pokedex stats though?
Are you seriously asking if something is stupid about an economy made up out of hats?

User Info: kingpin66636

kingpin66636
1 week ago#5
When flying, I never take or join gyms. But it's always good for helping people get numbers for raids. To each their own I guess
I am not but my shadow, though my shadow be not shadow, but myself. The fool
$500 - $400 = $200 - Quincy2000a (also cries to the mods)

User Info: MeowMixCDs

MeowMixCDs
1 week ago#6
It's a community thing. Some communities embrace one, both or neither. It really just comes down to who was/were the "leader(s)" in your area and what they decided. Sounds like they decided one but not the other.

Is it hypocritical? Yeah. Both are forms of cheating but people like to lie to themselves and say it's not because it's not them personally spoofing and checking IVs or it's Niantic's fault for not implementing chaining/some sort of IV boosting mechanic. It's a weird fallacy.

But honestly, if it's accepted, you might as well just accept it unless you want to make yourself a piraya. Same s*** happened here but with multiple accounts. Stood against it, got dirty looks at raids and even people cancel coming because I'd be there. Now I just embrace it and raid alone. Problem solved until the person who quit returns and wants his account back. Choose your battles, man.
MeowMixCDs posted...
piraya.

at first, i was like "is that some japanese word i don't know?...

then i thought...maybe that is an autocorrected or non-english-native guess at "pariah"?
acpc ID 7131 5955 342; Eilonwy40
PoGo ID 1063 5035 7379; Eilonwy40
This topic is giving me gas. I hope everyone TC is talking about are children and not adults.
BALTIMORE RAVENS

Sega_System
1 week ago#9
dr_burger92 posted...
What do you mean by pokedex stats though?

The seen/caught stats. Some people like to have a perfect seen/caught ratio on as many things as possible. The people I'm talking about are like that, yet they put rare stuff in gyms all the time to "show off". I don't care about it, but if they do, they shouldn't do it to others.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: galeongirl

galeongirl
1 week ago#10
Spoofing only benefits yourself, at the cost of others (gyms/rewards/etc).
IV scanning bots benefit everyone who uses them, a local group or whatever, as everyone in that group can get those Pokemon. And ultimately it doesn't really get in the way of others. Yes they've slightly stronger Pokemon, so they can take over a gym 2 seconds faster. But they still have to go there, put in the effort, and play the game as intended. While a spoofer can just fly across the world, doing whatever they please.

I had absolutely no issue with maps. But spoofers constantly taking over the entire neighbourhood's gyms (up to 20 at a time)... f***ing annoying for the local players.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. What's the difference between spoofing and IV scanning bots?