You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. Question on vaule of IV/weather boost/CP number

User Info: sflowers539

sflowers539
4 weeks ago#1
I’m new to analyzing this, generally I am wondering what Pokémon would be better in combat, a higher IV rating one or a lower IV one with a much higher CP due to weather boost? Assuming moves sets are the same. For example I have a 2321 Kyorge which is rated higher IV then a much higher CP weather boosted 2857 one. I’m not huge on powering them up, but in their current form which one is better to attack and defend gyms?

User Info: Mizznox

Mizznox
4 weeks ago#2
In terms of which is better right now, generally CP > IVs

CP is a function of base stats + IVs and the Pokemon's level. Level has a much bigger impact than IVs. The weather boost made your second Kyogre 5 levels higher, and that big of a level difference will trump any IV difference.

A perfect 15/15/15 level 20 Kyogre has 131 HP and its effective stats for the damage formula are ~170 attack and ~145 defense

If you had a 0% level 25 Kyogre (obviously yours is 10/10/10 or better), it would have 136 HP and its effective stats would be ~180 attack and ~152 defense
https://i.imgur.com/qUAL3fG.gifv

User Info: Xenozoa425

Xenozoa425
4 weeks ago#3
In short term, CP is more valuable than IV percentage. Lower level players will find a lv25 more valuable than a lv20 because the difference in strength is very notable.

In long term, IV percentage is more valuable than CP. Lv40 players want to usually maximize their damage, and going for 90+ IV spreads is the best way to do it, and they generally have resources to bring them up to good breakpoint levels (usually 30, 30.5, 35, 36, etc)
"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it."
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: thatguy181

thatguy181
4 weeks ago#4
Ultimately IV makes the most difference, but that's assuming you grind them up to be equal levels. Weather boost just means the pokemon has 5 levels over it's counterpart, which can be a significant chunk of candy and dust admittedly, but not something that's impossible to overcome.

If you've a pokemon where it matters, it's well worth it to put all your love and effort into whichever one has the most IV, even if it's technically weaker than a weather boosted one you just caught.

User Info: mtpfreak

mtpfreak
4 weeks ago#5
It should also be noted that just because a Pokémon can achieve a high CP, does not mean that it is useful in battle.

Blissey and Slaking are two of the most obvious examples.
Blissey has a max CP of around 2800, but its attack stat is far too low to do any meaningful damage in battle. It is however a very effective gym defender.
Slaking has superb stats all around, but its intentionally poor moveset (can only do damage using charged moves) means it has poor performance as both an attacker and defender.

Metagross is also an example of moves making or breaking the Pokémon, it has excellent stats but the only worthwhile Metagross is one that knows Meteor Mash.

It should also be noted that for comparative CP, a Blastoise with Water Gun and Hydro Cannon will actually out-DPS a Kyogre at the same CP.
That's only really applicable to PvP though, as Blastoise's max CP is somewhere below 2500, it has to be level 40 to compete with a roughly level 22 Kyogre.
3DS FC: RupeeClock - 2019-9640-6656

User Info: BBQ_Soda

BBQ_Soda
4 weeks ago#6
IVs are generally meaningless to players below L30, because they shouldn't be powering anything up until then. They should just catch and use the highest-level Pokemon they can find in the wild, thanks to weather boost allowing them to encounter Pokemon up to 5 levels above them.
Legendaries are an exception, since their candies are hard to get, but it's usually better to power up one with a higher starting level (25 instead of 15 or 20). 5 points in a certain stat makes zero difference 99% of the time, and when winning comes down to that few points, it means the battle is all luck in the first place.

User Info: Spetsnaz420

Spetsnaz420
3 weeks ago#7
BBQ_Soda posted...
IVs are generally meaningless to players below L30, because they shouldn't be powering anything up until then. They should just catch and use the highest-level Pokemon they can find in the wild, thanks to weather boost allowing them to encounter Pokemon up to 5 levels above them.
Legendaries are an exception, since their candies are hard to get, but it's usually better to power up one with a higher starting level (25 instead of 15 or 20). 5 points in a certain stat makes zero difference 99% of the time, and when winning comes down to that few points, it means the battle is all luck in the first place.

Gotta disagree to a point... High IV mons are good to power up as you progress provided they are somewhat meta
You have no idea the physical toll that three vasectomies have on a person! ~ Micheal Scott
PSN: Spetsnaz420 NNID: 0963-2355-7401 (MH4U + MHG only)

User Info: Xenozoa425

Xenozoa425
3 weeks ago#8
High IV lv20s from raids/eggs are good, but you can also find wild weather boosted mons with high IVs up to lv35. It's much more efficient to hold on to your mons until you get a better one at a higher level.
"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it."

User Info: Solarys

Solarys
3 weeks ago#9
Depends on your area and play style, really.

If you live in a well-supported urban area, and have no trouble joining legendary raids and participating in events, then IVs are less important to you because you can just catch L30+ Pokémon in the wild and use them as-is. IVs are completely meaningless for gyms these days, since defenders are no longer sorted by CP (as opposed to the old system, where you needed 100% maxed-out Dragonite to sit on top and not get shaved by team-killers).

But if you want to solo or duo T4/5 raids, then you do need to power up teams of optimal counters with good IVs to at least L35. A L30 Pokémon with near-perfect IVs can easily be as strong as a L35 one with mediocre IVs, or even a L40 one with bad IVs, so good IVs will save you a lot of resources.
"Teamwork is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at."
IBM System x3500 M4 || Xeon E5-2687W v2 || 32 GB DDR3 ECC || Radeon RX 480

User Info: sflowers539

sflowers539
3 weeks ago#10
I just ran into the same delima as I caught a non weather boosted near perfect shiny IV Kyoger. My 70ish IV Kyoger is weather boosted with about 400 more CP. I’m not too big of a grinder, I only have about 10 Kyoger candies and they boss changes tomorrow. So with limited resources should I power up the weather or perfect with the two or three times I can do so with such limited candy? Or if I use rare candy would 5-6 power ups start to benefit the low CP perfect IV Kyroger by that point?
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. Question on vaule of IV/weather boost/CP number