• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. Magikarp...should I level it up to max cp before I evolve to Gyarados?
SwatterXX 5 years ago#1
My highest magikarp right now is 124 cp that I caught in the wild. I'm lvl 21 and have about 275 candies for it. Should I use some candies to beef up magikarp and THEN evolve to Gyarados? or does it matter?

I just want to get more bang for my buck. Thanks!
sting__art 5 years ago#2
21? No, get a higher one.

Also check for IVs. Since you're catching so many the chances are high you're going to get a good Magikarp.

It doesn't matter when you beef it up. You can do that after evolving and it will cost the same.
Black_Insomniac 5 years ago#3
I'm also 21 and caught one at 140 CP. I figure I'll catch a higher one by the time i have 400 candies so I'm waiting to see and then I'll level it up so I would suggest you wait as well but that's my 2 cents
NNID: xInsomniax
Splatoon 2, Paladins, Xenoblade Chronicles 2
swatterx 5 years ago#4
sting__art posted...
21? No, get a higher one.

Also check for IVs. Since you're catching so many the chances are high you're going to get a good Magikarp.

It doesn't matter when you beef it up. You can do that after evolving and it will cost the same.

Stupid question, but what are IVs?
Resurrected account from the Great Gamespot merger of 2004.
Alt: SwatterXX
EDumey 5 years ago#5
Power ups cost the same before and after the evo, as well as having the same amount of power ups regardless of Pokemon. There is zero benefit to powering up a Pokemon before the evolution, as their CP is simply taken off their BASE stats.

Thus, the best option is to just collect Magikarp until you have 400 candy and select the best option at that time. Either the one with highest CP so that you don't have to farm more Magikarp powering it up, or by using an IV calculator to find which one has the best base stats, and will give you the strongest Gyarados.
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. Magikarp...should I level it up to max cp before I evolve to Gyarados?
  • Topic Archived