• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. Questions about the various Fate's anime!

User Info: Felioth

Felioth
1 month ago#1
Hi!

I have recently gotten back into watching anime, mostly due to having a little more free time (since I still commute to work a lot less, even though the pandemic seems on it's way down)...

I really want to watch some Fate anime, since I only ever caught up with the "original" series...

(Fate Stay Night, Fate Zero, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel)

Is there a particular order which I should follow while watching some (if not all) the other various anime?

Is there a website where I can see a list of all Fate's anime with a little synopsys about each one?

(Only fully animated series, not visual novels or manga)

For example, I really want to watch Apocrypha, the two (?) Lord El-Melloy and all the Fate Grand Order related content... Can I watch them right now or should I look for something else first?

Keep in mind that I'm playing FGO since the first KNK event, so I have a lot of knowledge on a lot of servants, even If I haven't watched/read their original series...

Thanks in advance for every answers and have a nice day!

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 month ago#2
I've only watched Fate Zero and Unlimited Blade Works.

Zero is supposed to be the first thing chronologically, and then I think FSN, UBW, and the HF Movies represent the 3 routes in the original visual novel. Going FSN, then Zero, then UBW, then HF might provide the most context for things, maybe?

I believe El Melloi happens before Aprocrypha. I don't know about the Extra thing, some weird s***'s happening on the moon or something, And in FGO's case, since you're already pretty deep into the game itself, you can probably watch stuff like First Order, Babylonia Anime, or the Camelot Movies in basically any order and enjoy them anyways, I think Solomon's also been noted to be one its way?

I'm probably wrong about most of this. Oh right, there's also the Kalied stuff, I haven't watched it yet 'cuz I don't really like being in prison much, but it's there if you've got like legal immunities and/or if your FBI agent's a freak.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 Switch: SW-3102-7895-8025 FGO: 349-336-611
I'm just a scrublord. I prefer casual games.

User Info: Kneekicker

Kneekicker
1 month ago#3
You can pretty much watch whatever you want, now that you've gotten the "main" shows out of the way.
El-Melloi takes place in between Zero and Stay Night, although it's worth noting the anime jumps into the middle of the novel so you don't really get "proper" introductions to Gray and Waver's students, but it's no issue.
Prisma Illya and Apocrypha diverge from the main timeline prior to the 4th HGW and during the 3rd HGW respectively; both are pretty standalone, though there's more enjoyment with Prisma Illya when you have experience with Zero and SN.
The various FGO OVAs/movies/anime are fairly self-explanatory since you're already a player; there's adaptations of Fuyuki (First Order), Camelot (two films), Babylonia (anime), Solomon (film, soon), and the Lostroom OVA right before the Lostbelt prologue.

Extra Last Encore is the only real iffy one; it's pretty confusing if you're not familiar with the original Extra game, and even then it's pretty wonky and subjectively enjoyable since it does its own thing. Most people don't like it, so check out maybe the first three episodes or so to see if it interests you.

If you want a list of anime in the franchise with synopsizes of each, you can check out places like Wikipedia, MAL, or the TM wiki: https://typemoon.fandom.com/wiki/Fate_series

Edit:
Unbound-King posted...
Zero is supposed to be the first thing chronologically, and then I think FSN, UBW, and the HF Movies represent the 3 routes in the original visual novel. Going FSN, then Zero, then UBW, then HF might provide the most context for things, maybe?
You're somewhat correct, though TC's already seen the four. Zero->UBW->HF is the logical anime order, with FSN slotting in wherever depending on the viewer's preference like whether they can stomach its oddities and whether they're already familiar to some degree with the franchise or not.
I believe El Melloi happens before Aprocrypha.
Different timelines; Apocrypha and the Zero/SN timeline are incompatible because Nazis plucked the grail out of Fuyuki in the 3rd HGW in the former. There's still a lot of similarities between Apocrypha and El Melloi concerning the world though, like Waver having still participated (off-screen) in a sub-Grail War with Iskandar as his Servant and El Melloi II's students mostly being the same people. Assuming I'm remembering the years and timeline in Apocrypha right, it'd actually take place near or during the timeframe of FSN.
I'm probably wrong about most of this. Oh right, there's also the Kalied stuff, I haven't watched it yet 'cuz I don't really like being in prison much, but it's there if you've got like legal immunities and/or if your FBI agent's a freak.
It's worth noting that most of the ecchi in Prillya is in 2wei (Hertz), which is the series' slice of life mood at its peak. 1st season is a fairly standard parody of FSN and magical girls as a genre, then Kuro gets introduced in 2wei and the horniness is taken up several notches. Then 3rei arrives and that same horniness slows down a ton and almost dies out as the story becomes bleaker and darker, around the mood of Heaven's Feel and eventually going past it depending on who you ask.

If the ecchi in Prisma Illya concerns TC, they can watch the first movie of it. It's a prequel to the whole story and the protagonist is Shirou, with the plot having absolutely no ecchi in it whatsoever. Illya herself doesn't even appear until like the last minute of the movie, which gets made fun of by Sakura in a BD special. The 2nd movie adapting the later parts of 3rei should be fairly ecchi-free too when it releases, but obviously that one will require being up to date on the anime.
FGO NA: 638,701,686 | FGO JP: 161,136,201
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.

User Info: Ikorus13

Ikorus13
1 month ago#4
case files is f***ing great. its also mostly standalone, very little outside context is needed, and what is it mostly provides on its own.

also watch carnival phantasm. its an official parody, and its amazing.
FGO NA: Ikaros (055,832,829) - Arts Hipster; meme-ing since before it was COOLU!! [Caligula is my Spirit Animal]
*Ereshkigal Familia*

User Info: Kneekicker

Kneekicker
1 month ago#5
Ikorus13 posted...
case files is f***ing great. its also mostly standalone, very little outside context is needed, and what is it mostly provides on its own.
It's a shame that a lot of people got turned off when episodes 0 and 1 aired on places like Crunchy, since the title of the series didn't make it immediately obvious for casual fans that it was a sequel to Zero.

Something additional I forgot to mention about it is that the anime ends on a cliffhanger, if that's something TC wants to know. The only other Fate anime that's "on-going" is Prisma Illya, which at least does have a coming continuation unlike Case Files at the moment.
FGO NA: 638,701,686 | FGO JP: 161,136,201
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.

User Info: Ikorus13

Ikorus13
1 month ago#6
Kneekicker posted...
It's a shame that a lot of people got turned off when episodes 0 and 1 aired on places like Crunchy, since the title of the series didn't make it immediately obvious for casual fans that it was a sequel to Zero.

Something additional I forgot to mention about it is that the anime ends on a cliffhanger, if that's something TC wants to know. The only other Fate anime that's "on-going" is Prisma Illya, which at least does have a coming continuation unlike Case Files at the moment.

it ends on a cliffhanger, and starts on a...noodle incident i guess? like the entire anime is in the "middle" of a story that has more stuff before and after. its also totally unnecessary to know anything about to enjoy.
FGO NA: Ikaros (055,832,829) - Arts Hipster; meme-ing since before it was COOLU!! [Caligula is my Spirit Animal]
*Ereshkigal Familia*

User Info: Goraishi

Goraishi
1 month ago#7
Felioth posted...
For example, I really want to watch Apocrypha, the two (?) Lord El-Melloy and all the Fate Grand Order related content... Can I watch them right now or should I look for something else first?

You may want to watch Fate/Zero before Case Files. Honestly, you probably have enough background knowledge anyway if you've been with FGO that long. The F/Z and Case Files collabs should give plenty of context. You're definitely good to go with Apoc.

User Info: Felioth

Felioth
1 month ago#8
Thanks guys for all the advices :)

I'm starting with Apocrypha and Case Files with some Prisma Illya on the side to lighten the mood!

I don't mind ecchi, I'm not actively looking for it, but, if it's there, it's not really an issue...

My two favourite gals from the FGO universe are Kiyohime and Elizabeth Bathory (grailed the original Kiyo to 100 and grailed to 90 all of the Eli-chan incarnations, even the caster one:))...

But I think that neither of them is "heavily" featured in any of the anime... Am I right?

User Info: pokedude900

pokedude900
1 month ago#9
Neither of them have ever appeared in an anime adaptation, unfortunately. Well, except for the 1 episode of Fate Grand Carnival that came out the other day, but practically everyone is in that. lol
https://i.imgur.com/Kh0QBLz.jpg https://i.imgur.com/hOhxEtg.jpg
Come to the (un)official GameFAQs Touhou board. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1110-

User Info: sou

sou
1 month ago#10
If only EXTRA anime did well to warrant a CCC anime so we can see Eliz in full motion.
EXTRA anime proved that Eggplant must be kept away at all cost when it comes to anime adaptions.
Fate/Grand Order ID: 595679632 & 111275065
PSN ID: SOU_TENJIN
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. Questions about the various Fate's anime!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A