• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. Hey all, got a question since they are coming soon. Ivan or Achillies?

User Info: Fiz

Fiz
3 days ago#1
Just since they are coming up and I did orginally plan to pull as many Achillies as I can. But I saw that youtuber -KeiKollections put up a video of his review and it seems like hes really strong. I havent seen a video on a review of Achillies yet from anyone doing a commentary on him. But what are your thoughts on who to pick? Like I said my first pick was Achillies since he was cool in the anime plus i like his lore, and that movie "Troy" made him look like a bad ass.
Both AOE servants right? but Ivan is buster and achillies is Quick. and Ivan has debuff type affects,

And im not pulling for Skadi dont care to much for her but if i want to use her there is plenty of ppl on this board who will whale for her so ill borrow her than if need be.

Thank you for ur inputs
PSN: WngZero_custom- Prisma Islands-The Official Poison Gym Leader
omega ruby( Im a guy btw) : IGN :Tifa fc: 4270-3981-0173( the name is from FF7)
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: StillPainting

StillPainting
3 days ago#2
Ivan the Terrible's video review made me wanna put him under my radar but I still can't move past the fattie design (much like I'd never pull for Thomas Edison because of the lion head). Ivan's kit has synergy and is geared towards launching his Noble Phantasm as much as possible. His NP when overclocked has a side effect of crippling all enemies with a DEF penalty towards incoming Buster damage. He's a big boy Buster beatstick with team support via debuffing the living hell out of the entire enemy group. And I have to say it because a lot of Servants you look at their skill kit and it makes you go "What, how can you build a team/strategize with these randomly thought out skills?", so kudos for Ivan avoiding the pit trap of useless gameplay design. And yes, Ivan's an AoE NP type of Servant.

Ivan's skills: Cleans his own debuffs, self NP regen up, crit stars generation and Buster beatstick dmg up, self-dodge and bullies the enemy team with buff removers and induces an Attack debuff.

Jesus, there's nothing there that I would change. That's f***ing great. I'm not the go-to guy for Servant analysis but I offered my two cents as a layman review of him, White Rabbit guy has a more in-depth review here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/180151-fate-grand-order/76508418
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Luno

Luno
3 days ago#3
Do you have merlin/kscope? I feel like Ivan isn't worth going for unless you have one of the two. He's really strong but having no battery makes him a rather slow farmer/servant and it'll get tiring real quick, he'll be your go to for challenge quests and most of the time there are better options.

Achilles is very self sufficient and has a 30 battery and np gain up. Skills are rather easy to level, you'll get alot out of him compared to Ivan.

Ivan story is really just being outranked in every area possible. He's still really badass though.
Nitocris alter when
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Fiz

Fiz
3 days ago#4
StillPainting posted...
Ivan the Terrible's video review made me wanna put him under my radar but I still can't move past the fattie design (much like I'd never pull for Thomas Edison because of the lion head). Ivan's kit has synergy and is geared towards launching his Noble Phantasm as much as possible. His NP when overclocked has a side effect of crippling all enemies with a DEF penalty towards incoming Buster damage. He's a big boy Buster beatstick with team support via debuffing the living hell out of the entire enemy group. And I have to say it because a lot of Servants you look at their skill kit and it makes you go "What, how can you build a team/strategize with these randomly thought out skills?", so kudos for Ivan avoiding the pit trap of useless gameplay design. And yes, Ivan's an AoE NP type of Servant.

Ivan's skills: Cleans his own debuffs, self NP regen up, crit stars generation and Buster beatstick dmg up, self-dodge and bullies the enemy team with buff removers and induces an Attack debuff.

Jesus, there's nothing there that I would change. That's f***ing great. I'm not the go-to guy for Servant analysis but I offered my two cents as a layman review of him, White Rabbit guy has a more in-depth review here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/180151-fate-grand-order/76508418

Dang man thats some good input you gave me thanks for that. Since I dont play JP i dont know if you do, but this helps alot to give me more to consider before pulling. Ivan does have cool animations and seems very strong and those skills seem amazing as i dont own a amakusa Ruler for removing buffs. Thanks and i will look at rabbits review.

@Luno
I dont own a merlin but i have a waver which i have but i choose not to use him just because hes like a buff and leave type of servant i want a full squad of good servants that can do the work not just spam np/ give NP gain then plug suit away but anyways I do own 1 MLB k scope and 4 normal ones, and not sure if it matters but i do own helna ( think thats her name) I have her with skills 8/8/8 so could charge him 20%? Np plus boost all of his cards so would that help? plus gives stars/ i own 1 2030 also.

Hmm ok wasnt sure since Achillies doesnt have the debuff himself or remove buffs from others which i thought would be pretty huge to consider between both servants.
PSN: WngZero_custom- Prisma Islands-The Official Poison Gym Leader
omega ruby( Im a guy btw) : IGN :Tifa fc: 4270-3981-0173( the name is from FF7)
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: Goraishi

Goraishi
2 days ago#5
Achilles hands down. I do think this also comes down to a question of whether you prefer buster or quick and whether you have (or plan to roll on) Merlin or Skadi.

Let me rain on the Ivan parade a bit. Rabbit's review in this case I don't think is a good source. It is heavily bias by initial impressions, and I think the majority of JP players would agree it doesn't pan out that way. I don't fault Rabbit for this at all as he puts out his review ASAP so people can get information early enough to make rolling decisions. This means he is forced to review new servants while there isn't really any content to test them on.

I'm going to follow this first by tossing out that launch Ivan wasn't just looked down on by players. DW gave him a nice NP interlude bumping his damage and the buster debuff. That isn't really something they'd likely do for a servant considered to be really good.

Ivan is basically just good on paper. If you look at his skills, it is really easy to see him as overpowered. Things just don't work that way in practice. Even post buff, Ivan is not a premier damage dealer.

Now back to the comparison at hand. Achilles is in practice better imo. He is one of the very few quicks with team survival support, he is one of the best AE quick loopers (granted Dantes has a commanding lead), and he can put out high, frequent damage with cards and NP even if you're not looping or running double Skadi. Ivan by comparison has a lot more trouble getting going, and unless you want to count the NP interlude which is like 1.5 years away, Ivan has pretty pathetic NP damage for how frequently he gets to use it. Post interlude, if you aren't running double Skadi and looping to quick success, I think the two are fairly close.

I'm not really factoring this into my recommendation of Achilles, but as a side note, if you do want to play quick teams but do not like double Skadi play style then Achilles is one of the top AE NP point servants. Slower quick is less safe than slower buster, and aside from Parvati, the better quick damage dealers are also pretty selfish and aren't going to contribute much to keeping your front line alive. Kind of a niche play style, but not everyone enjoys double Skadi memes.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: Zilong17

Zilong17
2 days ago#6
Goraishi posted...
I'm not really factoring this into my recommendation of Achilles, but as a side note, if you do want to play quick teams but do not like double Skadi play style then Achilles is one of the top AE NP point servants. Slower quick is less safe than slower buster, and aside from Parvati, the better quick damage dealers are also pretty selfish and aren't going to contribute much to keeping your front line alive. Kind of a niche play style, but not everyone enjoys double Skadi memes.

I'll double down on this reference. I have a pretty strong bias for Achilles so I won't weigh in too much, but I prefer him to Ivan by a mile and often run him with single Skadi just for kicks. He's one of the best non-support units I've ever pulled.
"I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength in futility and vanity; yet my vindication is with the LORD, and my reward is with my God." Isa 49:4
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: GSenjou

GSenjou
2 days ago#7
Between the two, Achilles for the aforementioned reasons. Tbh, if you want a good AoE Buster Rider, I'd suggest Drake instead. Her battery and starbursts makes her an extremely consistent damage dealer, and her NP spamming capability is just disgusting.

FGO: Aoba 798,571,229

User Info: Hoid

Hoid
2 days ago#8
Achilles looks damn cool, but don't have resources to spare rn. Have to save everything for Skadi and Summer
Toss a coin to your witcher, in year 2020.... in year 2020, oh OHHH ohhhhh!
Tossing a vote for Ivan in here. He has a ton of utility and very good sustained damage as AoE Buster servants go. He’s a highly reliable CQ option in general and a great pick overall.

That said it depends on the teams you run. Got Merlin? Ivan is likely better for you. Plan to go hard for Skadi? Achilles is a great Quick DPS who doesn’t have to be looping to work.
And as imagination bodies forth the forms of things unknown, the poet's pen turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing a local habitation and a name.

User Info: Zinie95

Zinie95
2 days ago#10
Achilles and its not a contest.
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. Hey all, got a question since they are coming soon. Ivan or Achillies?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A