You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. Rabbit's Reviews #225: Demon King Nobunaga (5* Avenger)
Demon King Nobunaga (5* Avenger)

https://i.imgtc.ws/z22xptc.png

Nobu is really really terrible. In fact, Nobu is so terrible I’d been holding out on doing this review on the off-chance she’d get an immediate interlude with the second part of the event. She’s so perplexingly bad I thought perhaps there was more to the story.

But nope, she’s just awful.

Nobu is an AoE Buster servant with awkward steroids, low overall NP damage, weak NP gain, bad stats, limited crit access, low crit damage, low survivability, and no meaningful class advantage situation. She also has almost no utility. There is absolutely no reason to pull for this servant from a gameplay standpoint, and while she’s not unusable per se—FGO is a game where any servant can work with enough investment—she is pretty much worthless.

At least her art is great?

Stats:
ATK: 12641
HP: 11761
Attribute: Earth
Growth Curve: S
Star Absorption: 30
Star Generation: 5.9%
NP Charge ATK: 0.49%
NP Charge DEF: 5%
Death Rate: 7%
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Traits: Humanoid, King, Servant, Weak to Enuma Elish

Cards: QABBB
Q: 4-hit
A: 4-hit
B: 6-hit
E: 5-hit

Availability: Limited

Active Skills:
It Can’t Be Helped A- (Self attack up for 3 turns, starting at 20-30% on turn 1 and scaling linearly to 40-70% on turn 3; Self apply Burning Field status for 3 turns; Self 1000 HP burn for 3 turns; 7 turn cooldown)
As if in a Dream B (Self invuln for 1 turn; Self buff removal resistance up 50-100% for 1 turn; 8 turn cooldown)
Demon King of the Sixth Heaven EX (Self gain 5-10 critical stars per turn for 3 turns; Self charge NP gain 10-20%; 7 turn cooldown)

Passive Skills:
Avenger B- (Self defensive NP gain up 17.5%; Non-self allies’ debuff resistance down 7.5%)
Oblivion Correction E (Self crit damage up 2%)
Self-Restoration (Magical Energy) C (Self charge NP gauge 3.3% per turn)

Noble Phantasm:
Papiyas Metamorphosis – Demon King of the Great Trichiliocosm
Type: Buster
Hit-Count: 6
Effects:
-Removes all Divine enemies’ defensive buffs
-Deals 300-500%* damage to all enemies
-Deals 1.5-2** times normal damage to Divine enemies
-Inflicts all enemies with 1000 HP burn status for 5 turns
*Scales with NP level
**Scales with overcharge

Total Ascension Materials:
-Evil Bone x10
-Void’s Dust x10
-Ghost Lantern x10
-Eternal Gear x10
-Black Beast Grease x10
-Tearstone of Blood x10
-Cursed Beast Gallstone x10
-Mysterious Divine Wine x10

Total Skill Materials (per skill):
-Meteor Horseshoe x10
-Fool’s Chain x10
-Lamp of Evil-sealing x12
-Magic Spinal Fluid x12
-Kotan Magatama x12
-Stimulus Gunpowder x12
-Quiet Antique Bell x15
-Dawnlight Reactor Core x15
-Crystallized Lore x1
And as imagination bodies forth the forms of things unknown, the poet's pen turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing a local habitation and a name.

User Info: 22whiterabbit22

22whiterabbit22
6 days ago#2
Nobu is tied with Jalter for the lowest HP stat of all SSR servants. Her attack is also tied with Dantes’s. This means she currently manages to have both the lowest attack and the lowest HP of her class and rarity. As an Avenger her raw attack stat is still quite high relative to SSRs in general, but still, her stat total is bad. She has super high hit-counts, and with a star gen buff she can rain stars, but without such a buff her triple-Buster deck isn’t the best for star generation. Her NP gain is underwhelming relative to her deck, and she’ll struggle to rebuild her NP without the assistance of supports or lots of defensive NP gain. Speaking of Defensive NP gain, she has the typical set of Avenger passives. Avenger and Self-Restoration help to offset her weak base gain a bit. Oblivion Correction has the dubious distinction of being both Nobu’s only crit damage boost and the weakest iteration of the skill in the game. With only a 2% crit damage boost, Nobu’s not going to hit all that hard.

As an Avenger, Nobu needs no gems or monuments for her ascension and skills. She doesn’t need all that many of any particular mat, which is nice, but given the sheer variety of things she asks for odds are most players will run into a roadblock somewhere. On the bright side, all of her ascension mats are pre-Lostbelt, which makes her manageable for newer players to level.

Nobu’s skillset is quite bland and doesn’t really have any internal synergy. Recommended skill order is 1>3>2.
-It Can’t Be Helped is an odd skill. In a better kit it could be very good. A 3-turn 30% buff on a 5-turn CD is standard, and this one scales up to 70% at max on turn 3. It is, in a sense, a 50% 3-turn buff on average, which should be strong. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work well with Nobu’s kit. Nobu’s weak NP gain means she’s unlikely to NP twice within the duration of this buff, and she’s stuck either using her NP with nothing more than a 30% steroid (really weak for an AoE servant) or delaying her NP until the buff scales upward (which slows down your damage output considerably). On top of that, the skill inflicts a pretty severe burn demerit that drains about a quarter of Nobu’s NP over the three turns it’s active. The skill also turns the map into a burning field for three turns, which helps Summer Nobu slightly, but there’s not really any reason to run Avenger Nobu and Summer Nobu together. Overall this is an awkward skill on a kit not built to utilize it well.
-As if in a Dream is a fairly standard invuln that also make Nobu immune to buff removal for a turn, so long as the success rate on the buff removal doesn’t exceed 100%. This is potentially nice against the likes of Amakusa and Abby, I suppose, and it helps Nobu not be quite so squishy, but it really doesn’t contribute much to her overall functionality.
-Demon King of the Sixth Heaven is an Innocent Monster-type skill that comes with a weak battery. The battery is nice for farming, at least, though it doesn’t hit the 20% threshold necessary for an instant-NP with Kaleid until level 10. Passive star gen is always nice, but Nobu’s an Avenger without a star weight boost, which means she’s unlikely to crit without star flooding anyway, and even when she does her lack of in-kit crit damage buffs will leave her damage rather lacking.

Nobu’s NP is probably the best thing about her kit, at least in a vacuum. It’s an AoE NP that deals bonus damage to Divine enemies. Divine-killers are a dime a dozen, but it’s a pretty common niche and free damage is free damage. The NP also removes defensive buffs from Divine enemies before it deals damage, which is kinda limited in scope as NP utility goes, but at least it means Divine enemies will for-sure take full damage from Nobu (barring unremovable buffs). It also inflicts a 5-turn burn effect for marginally more damage.
And as imagination bodies forth the forms of things unknown, the poet's pen turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing a local habitation and a name.

User Info: 22whiterabbit22

22whiterabbit22
6 days ago#3
Usage Tips:

If you want to make Nobu work, you’re going to need to be able to provide her with a lot of stars and some external Buster and/or crit damage boosts. Hans, Jinako, and Merlin are probably your best bets here. Standard Buster crit enabling tools are Nobu’s best option, but even then she won’t get as much out of the support as most other servants would.

Against Divine servants, a properly-supported Nobu can benefit from The Black Grail for high-ish NP damage. Otherwise, CEs that boost Buster card damage and/or crit damage are going to be most reliably useful.

Grail Potential:

Avengers are typically good grail candidates. Unfortunately, Nobu is awful. Any grails spent here are strictly for character loyalty.

In Conclusion:

Interestingly enough, Nobu’s kit is surprisingly similar to Chacha’s. Unlike Chacha, though, Nobu doesn’t benefit from the ‘Zerker class type, she’s not automatically NP5, and she has less party utility. So yeah, Nobu is a Limited SSR who’s generally worse than one of the worst welfare servants.

I don’t know how DW could produce such a terrible servant at this stage of the game, especially after the excellent LB4 servants and alongside the well-designed Nagayoshi and Kenshin. But here we are: Nobu is the worst SSR to be released in a long time, and there’s basically no reason to use her.

Rabbit’s Arbitrary Ratings:

Overall: 1/10
Single-Target DPS: 2/10
AoE DPS: 4/10
Survivability: 3/10
Offensive Utility: 1/10
Defensive Utility: N/A
Farming Usefulness: 6/10
Minutes of Voice Lines: 45/45

User Info: Dishware

Dishware
6 days ago#4
''This means she currently manages to have both the lowest attack and the lowest HP of her class and rarity.''

That right there just drives the comedy home.

User Info: Goraishi

Goraishi
6 days ago#5
Poor Nobu...

User Info: random_blah

random_blah
6 days ago#6
Dishware posted...
''This means she currently manages to have both the lowest attack and the lowest HP of her class and rarity.''

That right there just drives the comedy home.

It really keeps stacking on, doesn't it?

The funniest bit for me was running her banner alongside Arjuna Alter's. It'd be as absurd as giving a Skadi rerun alongside "Waver Alter" who's just pre-buff Waver.

User Info: LordlyLord

LordlyLord
6 days ago#7
tl;dr

Dont matter
All tickets and quartz belong to the (Demon) King

But goddamn bad stats and bad skills indeed haha
PSN: TheLordlyLord
"Gfaqs, classiest people on this side of the internet since 1995."
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: MaidKnight404

MaidKnight404
6 days ago#8
Ouch...

I thought avenger was really good, doing a ton of damage to get me through these boss fights.

Apparently they were just weak and shes bad. Why are there like four of her by the way? I know its all the same person because their skills and np are identical. That np by the way? Magnificent animation. At least she has that going for her?
My Fate/Grand Order (JP) Friend Bind is 484,416,786

User Info: hihi123hihi

hihi123hihi
6 days ago#9
Sad :(

Still going to grail her to 100 when she comes to NA. Hopefully she gets a buff later on that at least makes her decent, although idk what one single buff or two would be able to upgrade her from useless to good. Unless they pull a Waver and upgrade all of her skills and NP without any Interludes or Strengthenings.
3DS Friend Code: 5370-0510-8592
Pokemon Ultra Sun IGN: Sun
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: xhominid

xhominid
6 days ago#10
LordlyLord posted...
tl;dr

Dont matter
All tickets and quartz belong to the (Demon) King

But goddamn bad stats and bad skills indeed haha

Pretty much me as well. Most of my favs are usually okay to mediocre, no reason for me to suddenly pretend that they need to be anything more than that to get my love.
http://i.imgur.com/Ktn6GvQ.gif http://i.imgur.com/JHYvbO5.gif http://i.imgur.com/HiIAHMi.gif http://i.imgur.com/Y8ib6bK.gif http://i.imgur.com/yoCDP7y.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. Rabbit's Reviews #225: Demon King Nobunaga (5* Avenger)