• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. What is your opinion about Fate series gender bending so many heroes?

User Info: shootingfoul

shootingfoul
2 months ago#1
Do you enjoy it? Dislike it? Or is indifferent.

For people who dislike it: If Fate series simply wanted to have a lot of female servants, how else do you think they could of handled it without gender bending great historic figures?

User Info: greycolors

greycolors
2 months ago#2
Personally, as long as it's done in a way that's not too stupid, it's fine. Like artoria's excuse fits into her lore of why she couldn't directly inherit the throne. It's a tad more dubious when it's just kinda done because and there isn't an intersting story twist from it.

There are a decent number of legendary women, so I don't think it would be that hard to round things out with just natural women heroes though.

User Info: suchiuomizu

suchiuomizu
2 months ago#3
The concept has been there from the beginning and I'm fine with it, though sometimes I think they may have overboard with how often they do it.

User Info: BlueMage02

BlueMage02
2 months ago#4
I hate it. It's half the reason I hate the series.

There's a decent amount of famous female myths/historical figures. Having less than we do now would actually make those specific ones more popular, anyway.

Friendly reminder that Jalter, as much as I hate her, is already one of the most popular servants even with the genderbending.
PSN:BlueXMage XBL:jfellipe 3DS FC: 3995 - 7815 - 0886
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

User Info: CVGnaoki

CVGnaoki
2 months ago#5
Pretty indifferent. I used to dislike it because it felt like male servants were neglected but after actually engaging with a bunch of Fate media I found that regardless of gender balance I really enjoy the characters and stories. My only sore point anymore is that they haven't made male summer servants in FGO but I have my fingers crossed for this year.

User Info: OracleGunner

OracleGunner
2 months ago#6
I'm indifferent to it.
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. People who got it:6
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.

User Info: Ikorus13

Ikorus13
2 months ago#7
I dont like when its just a thing they do because fanservice. Like with drake, even though i do like her.

It really only works for altria imo, because since summons are of a conceptual entity. Youre not summoning the actual person, but rather how that person is thought of by humanity.

Altria is an exception, because shes the real deal. Living, breathing, flesh-and-blood being catapulted through space and time due to her bargain with the counter force. "Arthur" is the appropriate and correct summon after her death.

HOWEVER.

Fate doesnt even try to exist in "the real world". Even from /stay night theyve been EXPLICITLY operation on multiverse theory, while also stating that the throne of heroes exists outside of space and time. That means it records all possibilities at once. So in some universe, sir francis drake actually IS remembered as a woman, and its that universe's drake that we're summoning, rather than the one from our own.

Since they manage to keep the rules consistent that way, i let things slide even if it is annoying. I really only tend to get angry when a story cant even stick to its own rules. Also i get mad when a story, even a bad one, has no faith in itself. Like sonic 06. Yeah it was a trashfire, but at least have the decency to let us the consumers make that judgement. When you yourself think its so bad that you retcon it WITHIN ITSELF rather than after the fact, why did you even bother making it?
FGO User ID: 055,832,829
Fates Castle Address: 10896-2211 34882-62755

User Info: TiamatNM

TiamatNM
2 months ago#8
Almost all major historical figures are men so that would limit them greatly if they were trying to keep accurate with history. I think they've got a better female pool to draw from mythology (medea, medusa, etc) but history is another matter. I don't have any problem with it and am very glad Nero is a cute girl even though there's no historical basis for it at all :)

User Info: Zinie95

Zinie95
2 months ago#9
Dislike. Just an excuse for disgusting pandering.

Then again this series started by being an eroge game so not surprising.

User Info: farson135

farson135
2 months ago#10
Occasionally it makes for a good surprise, or a fun switchup. But at some point I wonder why they bother when there are perfectly good female heroines they could base their servants on.
FGO- Name: Sarah, ID: 095,432,810
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. What is your opinion about Fate series gender bending so many heroes?
  • Topic Archived