• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. [NA] For a new player, recommended 5* for long term?

User Info: reicta

reicta
9 months ago#31
@Zilong17

Thanks. Specifically:

Gil+Waver
Tamamo+Orion+Drake
Jack+Tesla+Altera
Jack+Gil+Drake
NeroB+Vlad
Okita only

SRs and CEs vary of course. That's what I'm looking at...

User Info: Trieu

Trieu
9 months ago#32
@reicta

It depends if you want to go Buster or Arts based I guess. Bride/Vlad are two core members of the Arts meta. Arts is pretty centric around Tamamo and her 50% arts buff, so if you go that route you'll be chained to a support Tamamo for the foreseeable future. Arts teams are generally slower than buster teams but more reliable in the current JP meta iirc.

Tamamo/Orion is comparable but Orion is a bit lackluster compared to other Archers (although that's mostly because of stiff archer competition), Orion won't hit as hard as Vlad (except on male targets).

Between Tamamo/Orion and Vlad/Bride I'd prefer to pick Tamamo since she's the keystone of the arts meta, it'll let you cherry pick support arts servants to fill whatever hole you have, whereas if you find yourself with Vlad/Bride facing an archer boss for example you might have a hard time and you're still reliant on support Tamamo but not vice-versa.

Gil is a really strong archer and buster based (for when Buster servants rise to the top of the meta when Merlin appears) and Waver is a universal support unit. Waver can slot into basically any team so you can make use of literally any S/SR units that you come across. Waver also gives a lot of quality of life bonuses for casual missions and farming because of his skills.

I'd say that if you know what sort of servants you want (maybe check the wiki or rabbits reviews and see what appeals) and get an idea of whether you prefer arts or buster servants. If you prefer arts servants go with Tamamo/Orion if you prefer Busters go for Waver/Gil.

If you're in doubt at all about committing to the arts life, go for Waver/Gil and you literally can not go wrong.

Edit:

Of those I'd say

Tamamo Orion Drake - with the addition of drake it'd beat out Bride/Vlad and it has the highest potential to get really meta in the future.

Gil Waver is probably next because of how well a good support lends itself to future servants and fights.

Jack Gil Drake is better then Jack Tesla Altera since Tesla is basically a slightly weaker Gil. Jack/Gil are probably the strongest combination of the three different accounts that'll power through the beginning of the game and opens itself up for some really fun crit shenanigans but for future fights you'll find yourself relying a lot on support units that you're missing so it's not really as future proof and if you're relying on friend list support units then imo your line up won't change very much which might get a bit stale, assuming you don't pull a support unit of some sort in the future.

Tl:dr Tamamo is meta, Waver is safe and Jack's stars will be funny af.
Friendo Code: 998,428,971

User Info: Zilong17

Zilong17
9 months ago#33
Trieu pretty much got it.

The only thing I'd add is that I would personally go Jack/Gil/Drake but that's just because I like those three Servants the most, though Jack/Tesla/Altera would be similarly tempting.

From a gameplay perspective I think the Gil/Waver account is best, with a close second to Tamamo/Orion/Drake.
"Lay down your arms, or die clutching them! None will mourn your passing."
Ramza Beoulve - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

reicta
9 months ago#34
Zilong17 posted...

The only thing I'd add is that I would personally go Jack/Gil/Drake but that's just because I like those three Servants the most, though Jack/Tesla/Altera would be similarly tempting. Also has Herc, though Gil/Waver does too.

From a gameplay perspective I think the Gil/Waver account is best, with a close second to Tamamo/Orion/Drake.

Main thing that is tempting me toward Vlad+Nero is it's the only acc with good CEs, great even, like 2030, K-scope, Limited/Zero Over, Prisma Cosmo, Heaven's Feel, whereas the others are pretty sparse.

@Trieu

Thanks!

Gil just doesn't appeal to me even though I like that he has Charisma, idk. Orion worries me a little because I read she's bad damage, bad NP gain, bad crit star gen, etc., but has that male niche.

User Info: Zilong17

Zilong17
9 months ago#35
reicta posted...
Gil just doesn't appeal to me even though I like that he has Charisma, idk. Orion worries me a little because I read she's bad damage, bad NP gain, bad crit star gen, etc., but has that male niche.

Most of what you read about is Orion is relative to other SSR Archers in particular. Relative to SSRs in general, Orion is perfectly solid, especially with an Arts boost from Tamamo.

Gil is unbridled raw statistical offense and gets an NP boost later on.
"Lay down your arms, or die clutching them! None will mourn your passing."
Ramza Beoulve - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Trieu
9 months ago#36
reicta posted...
Zilong17 posted...

The only thing I'd add is that I would personally go Jack/Gil/Drake but that's just because I like those three Servants the most, though Jack/Tesla/Altera would be similarly tempting.

Main thing that is tempting me toward Vlad+Nero is it's the only acc with good CEs, great even, like 2030, K-scope, Limited/Zero Over, Prisma Cosmo, Heaven's Feel, whereas the others are pretty sparse.

@Trieu

Thanks!

Gil just doesn't appeal to me even though I like that he has Charisma, idk. Orion worries me a little because I read she's bad damage, but NP gain, bad crit star gen, etc., but has that male niche.

I don't think Orion's damage is bad per se, it's just in comparison to the other Archers it's a little lackluster. It's mostly a symptom of how good the archer class is in general.

Bear in mind on the Vlad/Bride account you're going to be angling for an arts team so your main CE's will be something like 2030 for Bride and Formalcraft for Vlad. Limited Zero/Over is buster CE and if you're going arts then it doesn't really offer anything despite being a 5*.

I'd say that regardless of CE's if you're not a huge fan of the unit aesthetics then give it a pass. CE's will come in time, or at the very least you'll gather workable event CE's as you play which can fill the void until you get one from the gacha, but you're stuck with your SSRs.

Is your issue with Gil just the look of his skills or his character design in general? Gil's Charisma is one of (if not) the best in the game. His golden rule is a little lackluster, but his collector skill is solid, it basically prioritises him for crit stars which means he can crit more reliably on his command cards which are OP af. (it's why him and Jack will probably be the most active fun straight out of the gate playing)

Gil's skills are pretty solid - if a little unexciting compared to someone like Bride or some future servants. That's mostly because he's an on release servant.

User Info: ComaPrison

ComaPrison
9 months ago#37
Jeanne will carry you at the early-to-mid-game while waver will optimize you for speedy grinding in the mid-to-late-game. supposedly jeanne also does a lot of carrying in late-game challenge quests after she gets her NP revamp, but we're not there yet in NA. If you can buy an account with 2 SSR, i would get one with both Jeanne and Waver.
MLB Mona Lisa! Will MLB the other MP shop CEs too. Add me if you will too. NA: 219,716,383 https://i.imgur.com/mQTkqPn.png

reicta
9 months ago#38
Trieu posted...
reicta posted...
Zilong17 posted...

@Trieu

Thanks!

Gil just doesn't appeal to me even though I like that he has Charisma, idk. Orion worries me a little because I read she's bad damage, but NP gain, bad crit star gen, etc., but has that male niche.

I don't think Orion's damage is bad per se, it's just in comparison to the other Archers it's a little lackluster. It's mostly a symptom of how good the archer class is in general.

Bear in mind on the Vlad/Bride account you're going to be angling for an arts team so your main CE's will be something like 2030 for Bride and Formalcraft for Vlad. Limited Zero/Over is buster CE and if you're going arts then it doesn't really offer anything despite being a 5*.

I'd say that regardless of CE's if you're not a huge fan of the unit aesthetics then give it a pass. CE's will come in time, or at the very least you'll gather workable event CE's as you play which can fill the void until you get one from the gacha, but you're stuck with your SSRs.

Is your issue with Gil just the look of his skills or his character design in general? Gil's Charisma is one of (if not) the best in the game. His golden rule is a little lackluster, but his collector skill is solid, it basically prioritises him for crit stars which means he can crit more reliably on his command cards which are OP af. (it's why him and Jack will probably be the most active fun straight out of the gate playing)

Gil's skills are pretty solid - if a little unexciting compared to someone like Bride or some future servants. That's mostly because he's an on release servant.

That is true about the CEs. I don't dislike NeroB or Vlad (well Nero needs that animation update), but maybe because of their growth curve they pretty much suck early game for me.

I don't know what it is that I don't like about Gil. Mostly character design/personality, which is odd as I usually am not that big on that in other games. His skills seem pretty good overall (charisma) and he seems great at star gen for an archer and okay at NP gain. I've read part of the Epic of Gilgamesh and liked it years ago so I was interested in him right off the bat, but idk. It's probably down between those two acc then.

Trieu
9 months ago#39
Well growth curves aside - since the early game isn't really difficult enough for it to matter - what's the CE spread like for Gil and Tamamo?

I think you mentioned Gil having 2030 which is just universally great. Gil is a little overbearing in Fate but as a servant it's about what I expect from having called up a king to do my dirty work - he does have a touch of megalomaniac laughter during some of his attack animations which can be a bit grating. (double points for running Gil-Gil-Ozymandias for maximum laughter memes)

Which ones have you narrowed it down to?

User Info: pkmnpkmn

pkmnpkmn
9 months ago#40
Waver and tamamo are the only 2 which are irreplaceable since no one else provides that much NP gain or party skill cooldowns.

Jeanne too but you'll be waiting a long time to get her NP fixed.

I'd prioritize waver unless you really like arts teams.
FE Fates Mycastle code10984-57903-68339-73894
FGO Friend Code: 300.629.632
  1. Boards
  2. Fate / Grand Order
  3. [NA] For a new player, recommended 5* for long term?
  • Topic Archived