• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Laughing at Spark Shot description

User Info: nemesiskite55

nemesiskite55
2 months ago#1
For whatever reason, I didn't play this game too much in 2019 despite preordering it and loving the original. So I have been looking at tips for speedruns and boss strats on this board. It seems a lot of archived threads have complaints about a misleading description for the Spark Shot, which I found very funny.

The complaints are that the description tells you not to overcharge because it causes the weapon to explode. This makes players think you aren't supposed to hold the L2 button to completion. The thing is, the instructions are written from an in-universe perspective. Sewer workers, or Umbrella guys, or whoever, are not meant to overcharge the weapon against... whatever it's supposed to be there for. For Claire, it's useful to use the weapon "incorrectly" to handle the G-virus mutants that have just started cropping up. It's like other players are mistaking the item description as being written for them or Claire rather than accepting the world-building Capcom are doing. I can't think of other examples off the top of my head, but I think previous games have treated items like in-universe objects rather than as tools for the player's use in their flavor text.

I guess my point is: how do you guys feel about this method of world-building that tries to get a player to do the opposite of what the lore says? I think a lot of GFAQs users don't think about the internal logic of the game worlds, so become confused by such things.
Playing: Resident Evil Village (PS4)

User Info: Trespasser2003

Trespasser2003
2 months ago#2
nemesiskite55 posted...
a lot of GFAQs users don't think

Itchy itchy. scott came. ugly face so killed him. Tasty. 4// itchy. tasty.
(message deleted)

User Info: Cresset

Cresset
2 months ago#4
I like those, but it reminds me of this sad story from Dishonored'd playtesting

People would just walk around during playtesting of the 'Lady Boyle' mission," Dishonored executive producer Julien Roby said. "They didn't know what to do. They didn't even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn't. They'd say, 'Okay, I can't go upstairs.' They wouldn't do anything."
Being able to change keyboard settings is the right of all sentient gamers. - spydey_fan

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
1 month ago#5
Experimentation is half the fun of playing a game.

If players take everything at face-value, that’s their own personal deficiency to rectify.
For any whom this post happens to offend, I can get you a great deal on a spine.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Laughing at Spark Shot description
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A