• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why did almost everyone here play the original RE2 with autoaim?

User Info: Darkside_Hazuki

Darkside_Hazuki
1 month ago#1
If you played the original RE2 in the USA on the PS1, the PS1 Dual Shock version, on the Nintendo 64, or even on Gamecube...then you would've had to manually enable autoaim by adjusting the control options (ex. Type C on PS1, Type B on N64). Autoaim isn't automatically turned on, even if you play the Easy or Rookie modes. This also applies to the PS1 Classic ports on PS3. I can't comment on any of the PAL versions.

As far as I know the only time RE2's autoaim was turned on by default in a USA release was on Dreamcast (unless you played Arrange Game+Expert or Nightmare mode). I'm not sure if the PC version turns on autoaim; I'd assume it did because it's supposed to similar to the Dreamcast. I should also note that autoaim was also turned on for the RE2 Preview Demo that came with RE1 Director's Cut.

Having stated the above:
The original RE2's autoaim is still the #1 thing people bring up whenever they want to list their points of why they feel REmake2 is "objectively" a better gaming experience. But listing something that was an optional, user-enabled crutch to give a game negative points sounds pretty contorted. It's like me saying REmake2 is "objectively" the easiest game among all of the Over-The-Shoulder REs because I played on Standard mode and I had Aim Assist turned on with the screen brightness on high, in which case that statement would be 100% true...hell it actually might make it the easiest RE game in the entire franchise.

It sounds like almost everyone here had autoaim turned on when they played the original RE2. But it's off by default, so why turn it on? Even in 1998 people were smart enough to realize "If I turn autoaim on then this game is going to be much, much easier." The fandom had just finished playing the original RE1 without autoaim, so at the time it's not like it was a wild concept to play fixed camera games without autoaim. My own group of friends from Elementary to Middle school sure as hell didn't think autoaim was needed and I remember us thinking RE2 autoaim was trash. Same thing for when they forced autoaim into the USA RE1 Director's Cut. Just about every nerd in an AOL 3.0 chat pretty much had the same consensus.

So what gives? Everyone recalls playing RE2 as such a "tainted" experience because of the existence of autoaim...but they most likely turned-on autoaim to play it that way. I doubt most of the people on this board with the above claims first experienced RE2 on Dreamcast (or PC). It's not impossible but it's pretty low.

Also if their reason for turning autoaim on was (assuming they knew at the time that in Japanese versions autoaim is always on) "I wanted to play RE with autoaim so I could experience the game the exact same way the Japanese do because they designed the game". Oh please, what gutter trash. The best privilege of playing USA ports of Japanese games is that in USA the difficulty gets tweaked so that the games ported over here are more of a rewarding challenge in our market and keep anything from being laughably easy (ex. Ninja Gaiden games on NES, Super Double Dragon on SNES, Contra Hard Corps on Genesis, Devil May Cry 1 & 3 on PS2). I hear European ports sometimes make them even harder, like Metal Gear Solid games. Them some badass dudes. Saying you want to play the more "Japanese style" of Resident Evil is pretty much the same as saying you lack average, standard, default American talent & dexterity and you should be shipped away to Nihonland. I didn't establish this fact, AMERICA did. *salute*

Most recent reference:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/179835-resident-evil-2/77621782?page=3
"This is what makes a legend!" - Terry, KoF '99
RE Outbreak/PSN: Stick_Breitling; Metal Gear Online: Gabe LOGAN

User Info: Allen3388

Allen3388
1 month ago#2
It was turned on automatically for me. I never looked at it as an advantage or disadvantage. I always thought it was standard given tank controls.

User Info: GigadeathWeapon

GigadeathWeapon
1 month ago#3
I never checked the Option menu, so I had no idea it was even there.

User Info: TheThirdDay

TheThirdDay
1 month ago#4
Just to set the record straigh for anyone still unawaret:

Aim-assist was automatically enabled in the original Japanese release, and how the game was intended to be played. It's common knowledge that aim-assist was disabled in the western releases to make the game artificially more difficult, snd thus harder to complete in a single rental period.

This all being said, decent OP. It's not believable and is obviously a troll attempt, but it's a solid length and the America comments gave me a chuckle. 4/10
Now Playing: Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Borderlands 2, CoD: WWII
"WE DO IT!"

User Info: ChaozCloud

ChaozCloud
1 month ago#5
TheThirdDay posted...
Just to set the record straigh for anyone still unawaret:

Aim-assist was automatically enabled in the original Japanese release, and how the game was intended to be played. It's common knowledge that aim-assist was disabled in the western releases to make the game artificially more difficult, snd thus harder to complete in a single rental period.

This all being said, decent OP. It's not believable and is obviously a troll attempt, but it's a solid length and the America comments gave me a chuckle. 4/10

Most people however haven't played the JP version and I'm guessing less are even aware of that regional difference.
PSN: TheRedMage ,only EU players need apply
All praise the poor Shrine Maiden, the Ordinary Magician and the holy being ZUN. Convert to Touhouism today.

User Info: metroidhunterx

metroidhunterx
1 month ago#6
Didn't even know auto-aim was in RE2 until I went back to replay it before the remake came out and messed around with the control options.

User Info: Syn_Vengeance

Syn_Vengeance
1 month ago#7
I used auto aim by choice in all the classics, never complained about it either though.
When your name is finally drawn, I'll be happy that you're gone. Ash to Ashes, Dust to Dust.

User Info: BIack_Dynamite

BIack_Dynamite
1 month ago#8
Because it was better

User Info: GForce9x

GForce9x
1 month ago#9
I don’t think I’ve ever messed with any of the settings in any RE game I’ve played. RE2 was actually my first RE game and I was a senior in high school at the time.

Gotta remember that in 1998, internet access for most people was via unlimited dialup plans. I find it really hard to believe that very many gamers at the time were thinking about comparing their US RE2 experience vs. the Japanese Biohazard2 experience (that was assuming they were even aware of the existence of a Japanese game called Biohazard).

I don’t think I ever looked up RE2 info online at the time. I remember reading about the infinite weapon requirements and modes like 4th survivor and Tofu in a magazine like EGM and then played my butt off to unlock and beat everything. Not once did the idea of trying to make the game easier or compare vs. the Japanese experience cross my mind.
PSN: GForce9x

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
1 month ago#10
Er, in the PAL games, N64 and GC at least, it's automatically on
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why did almost everyone here play the original RE2 with autoaim?
  • Topic Archived