• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Looking Back a Few Months Later, RE2 Remake Was a Failure

User Info: penaferus

penaferus
1 month ago#1
There are several reasons why RE2 Remake wasn't good, but here's a few:

-A/B Scenarios are a mess. Heck, they can't even come together to make one single cohesive story.

-Spongy enemies, made even worse in Hardcore.

-Lab section was atrocious

-G Adults were cheaply designed

-Plant monsters were dumbed down

-G2 was horribly designed

-Adaptive difficulty is gross and discourages getting better at the game

-No item zapping system makes each run feel insignificant when considered as two halves of a whole

-Mr. X stomping around at all times is scary, but in the end is annoying and causes some tedious moments for puzzles

The game was okay if you consider only the A route. But beyond that it was a mess.

User Info: deblas66

deblas66
1 month ago#2
penaferus posted...

-A/B Scenarios are a mess. Heck, they can't even come together to make one single cohesive story.

-No item zapping system makes each run feel insignificant when considered as two halves of a whole

-Mr. X stomping around at all times is scary, but in the end is annoying and causes some tedious moments for puzzles

The game was okay if you consider only the A route. But beyond that it was a mess.

I agree totally with zapping and A/B scenarios. You give no reasons for your other points and quite frankly, many will disagree. What are the reasons?

User Info: PerrySport

PerrySport
1 month ago#3
Faillure might be too big of a word, but it's just "ok" imo. Definately overrated.
It is what it is

User Info: SoulOfFayth

SoulOfFayth
1 month ago#4
These topics are more of a failure, because they achieve less than REmake2 ever attempted.
Maybe make another one? No, didn't help either?
'If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, for ever.'

User Info: M4SK2F4CE

M4SK2F4CE
1 month ago#5
9+ review scores
Millions of copies sold

Cry moar
FC: 3952-8375-5933

User Info: penaferus

penaferus
1 month ago#6
deblas66 posted...
penaferus posted...

I agree totally with zapping and A/B scenarios. You give no reasons for your other points and quite frankly, many will disagree. What are the reasons?

Lab section was a lot of mindless wandering and wasn't atmospheric like the original version

G Adults are boring to fight and cheap shot you from under the muck

Plant monsters were actual plant creatures in the original, whereas in the remake they're just reskins of zombies with tentacles added.

Adaptive difficulty cheaply screws you over by making enemies suddenly take twice as many hits to waste your resources.

Pretty sure I explained most of the rest above.

User Info: Mr_Big_Boss

Mr_Big_Boss
1 month ago#7
penaferus posted...

You didn't even mention about the spiders.

I'll give you a 1/10 for the effort.
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
Shenmue III

User Info: BassChamber

BassChamber
1 month ago#8
LoL what a stupid casual troll thread.

You are b****ing about the same effing thing trolls b****ed right after RE2R was released.

A/B campaign is the main flaw, but rest of complains are just moronic.

Yeah, you forgot to cry about the spiders and giant moth.

User Info: deblas66

deblas66
1 month ago#9
penaferus posted...
Lab section was a lot of mindless wandering and wasn't atmospheric like the original version

G Adults are boring to fight and cheap shot you from under the muck

Plant monsters were actual plant creatures in the original, whereas in the remake they're just reskins of zombies with tentacles added.

Adaptive difficulty cheaply screws you over by making enemies suddenly take twice as many hits to waste your resources.

Pretty sure I explained most of the rest above.

Lab felt great to me. Between the Ivy music and the process of finding the codes and cooling the solution, I think it was a great section.

G Adults are cheap in no way. They are incredibly easy to avoid and all of their attacks can be telegraphed.

Plant monsters make sense as zombies and the one hit kill adds some tension.

Mr X is incredibly easy to avoid and adds some tension to a part of the game that doesn't have a ton. This is survival horror after all. He could have been much worse and ruined immersion.

Couldn't disagree more about G2. The arena was just tight enough to walk the line between difficult and annoying but the creature design was fine.

Enemies being spongy feels like a strange complaint. I have been annoyed when a particular zombie takes 5+ headshots but almost all enemies can be handled adequately. The game gives you plenty of ammo and other items to make your life easier (boards for windows, sub weapons, health)

User Info: Syn_Vengeance

Syn_Vengeance
1 month ago#10
penaferus posted...

1. Agree with the lack of A/B

2. Disagree, enemies are fine and it’s the best way to compensate for the OTS camera.

3. Disagree, loved the lab in this game.

4. Disagree, G-Adults are easy to handle and easy to avoid.

5. Disagree, I’ve only gotten better at the game over time.

6. The zapping system only effected 2 parts in the original. The weapons room with the SMG and side pack, plus the part in the lab where you need 2 fingerprints to open the door for another SMG. The weapons room one can be loopholed by having clean saves for each scenario. No matter who and what scenario I play in the original, I can take both for either character.

7. If you know how to bait Mr.X away from the puzzle rooms he’s absolutely no problem. The library is especially easy, just draw him away, down him and go move the shelves.

8. (Out of order by mistake) I like the Ivy’s in this game more. There’s more of them and they are harder to kill then the original game. They also sound and look 10x creepier, I just wish they kept the poison spit.

9. G-2 isn’t that great but I wouldn’t call it horrible, could have been much worse.
When your name is finally drawn, I'll be happy that you're gone. Ash to Ashes, Dust to Dust.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Looking Back a Few Months Later, RE2 Remake Was a Failure
  • Topic Archived