• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Jeez, the Item Aversion weekly is no joke.

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
3 weeks ago#1
Just finished it right at the cusp, with exactly 100 items. I think I grabbed maybe six healing items altogether, three sprays and one of each herb, and I skipped most of the handgun rounds in the RPD, only grabbing the ones worth 10 or more. Grabbed eight gunpowders, 3 regulars, 4 whites and 1 large. Grabbed only one knife, the very starting one, and one flashbang for Mr X in the Tool room. I skipped the spare keys so I didn't get any of the lockers, and I even skipped some flame rounds because I was that worried about my item count, and I was right. It was that f***ing close. I had 66 by my first save, right before Sherry, 85 at my second save before G2, and 96 at my last save before G3, and only grabbed the fuse, minigun, grenade and IV chip at the very end.

Don't underestimate this challenge, folks. It's brutal. Treat it like a Box Detox run, grab only what you absolutely f***ing need, because keys are going to eat a large portion of your alloted item count.

On the positive side, I beat my previous Claire A Standard time, finished with about 1H 31M.
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.

User Info: rasendori85

rasendori85
3 weeks ago#2
Just finished myself. I cut it close with exactly 100 as well. I think I was a bit over zealous with nabbing handgun ammo in the beginning since I abandoned the handgun all together in favor of the shot gun after G1.

User Info: SasTheVirtuous

SasTheVirtuous
3 weeks ago#3
Guys, is there a way to check the current item count? Also, does taking items out of the box count as a pick up?

rasendori85
3 weeks ago#4
On the site on the weekly challenges page there's a tab to click that will show your latest play stats. It updates rather quickly after a save.

Taking items out of your box doesn't count, but I do believe if you have to pick up an item again it does, so say grabbing the flamethrower/spark shot will cost you a lot of pick ups, and picking up a used knife will too.

SasTheVirtuous
3 weeks ago#5
rasendori85 posted...
On the site on the weekly challenges page there's a tab to click that will show your latest play stats. It updates rather quickly after a save.

Taking items out of your box doesn't count, but I do believe if you have to pick up an item again it does, so say grabbing the flamethrower/spark shot will cost you a lot of pick ups, and picking up a used knife will too.

There is a table supposedly meant to show my result just above the big table showing all the players who have completed the challenge, but it never shows anything for me. I did complete a few challenges already but only appeared in the big table upon completion, and the small (i.e. two-row) table never displays anything for me :(

SasTheVirtuous
3 weeks ago#6
Anyway, can you share your overall strategy for this? Specifically, ...
(1) Do you evade all the enemies (except for bosses) or do you stun them?
(2) Looking at the Evil Resource website, it looks like ca. 50 items are keys. Does it mean you are free to pick up all the gun powder jars and a few healing items (as long as you don't go over ca. 50)?
(3) Do you pick up the wooden boards to board up windows and make the police station more manageable or is there crazy skill level required for running past zombie-filled rooms?
(4) Is the ammo you pick up sufficient just for the bosses or for enemies as well? Which guns do you pick up? Do you prioritise jars and skip other ammo?
(5) Do you pick up pouches? Do they count as items?
Thanks!

User Info: Mr_Big_Boss

Mr_Big_Boss
3 weeks ago#7
SasTheVirtuous posted...
Do you evade all the enemies (except for bosses) or do you stun them?

I just stunned zombies with a headshot and ran past them except for a few. On scenario A, skip the fuse when you get the valve in the East office. You can backtrack through the 2nd floor. Try not to pick up herbs, only first aid sprays.

Copied from the other topic for the weekly challenges

I just completed Claire A with 75 items. It wasn't hard. I skipped the SMG but picked up the sparkshot for G2. That was pointless. More than enough space to pick up the SMG or Leon's magnum plus ammo.

These are the optional items I grabbed:
Sparkshot
Grenade launcher
6 flame rounds
8 gunpowders (4 large, 4 white)
1 knife (not Marvin's, his is a key item)
Claire's magnum
2 magnum ammo
Minigun
7 hand grenades
1 wooden board
2 hip pouches
6 handgun bullets
0 health items

34 Key items
Marvin's knife
3 medalions
Pliers
Valve
Detonator
Battery
3 RPD keys
Jack handle
2 cogs
2 parts
Parking card
Creepy doll
Scissors
Orphanage keys
T valve handle
5 chess plugs
ID wristband
3 ID chips
3 solution cartridges
Joint plug
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
Shenmue III

rasendori85
3 weeks ago#8
SasTheVirtuous posted...
Anyway, can you share your overall strategy for this? Specifically, ...
(1) Do you evade all the enemies (except for bosses) or do you stun them?
(2) Looking at the Evil Resource website, it looks like ca. 50 items are keys. Does it mean you are free to pick up all the gun powder jars and a few healing items (as long as you don't go over ca. 50)?
(3) Do you pick up the wooden boards to board up windows and make the police station more manageable or is there crazy skill level required for running past zombie-filled rooms?
(4) Is the ammo you pick up sufficient just for the bosses or for enemies as well? Which guns do you pick up? Do you prioritise jars and skip other ammo?
(5) Do you pick up pouches? Do they count as items?
Thanks!

(1) I mostly went for stuns. There are a few hallways I always clear though. Knowing who not to aggro, and who you can stun/avoid helps a long way.

(2) I picked up most of the yellow and large gunpowders I came across, but never blue ones. Never. Pickup. Herbs. Only first aid. Getting poisoned is not an option.

(3) I went Leon, so I took just enough boards to make sure the west hallway wasn't a pain. I also boarded the window near the dark room, but I could have skipped that one all together really.

(4) Yes. G1 can be beaten with a knife. I also burned last hand gun bullets I was planning on using on him. G2 goes down easily to the flame thrower. I took out G3 with the shotgun, flame thrower and 1 grenade. Super Tyrant is a timed battle, but stunning reduces the time you have to wait. I stocked grenades for him, and once those were out I only shot him to stop his instant kill move.

(5) I believe pouches count. I only picked up the ones in your path on Standard, but I feel they can be skipped entirely on Standard at least. I never felt starved for space.

I cleared it at 100, but over all I think there were plenty of pick ups I would cut out. Lots of ammo in general can be skipped particularly handgun ammo. I think I could have done better in G adult hell in the sewers, and spared myself some subweapon pickups.

User Info: Kindler

Kindler
3 weeks ago#9
Mr_Big_Boss posted...

Sparkshot
Grenade launcher
6 flame rounds
Claire's magnum
2 magnum ammo
Minigun
7 hand grenades
1 wooden board
2 hip pouches
6 handgun bullets
0 health items

Yeah, that's not really doable for me. I suck at video games.

User Info: Death_Shadow15

Death_Shadow15
3 weeks ago#10
Kindler posted...
Mr_Big_Boss posted...

Sparkshot
Grenade launcher
6 flame rounds
Claire's magnum
2 magnum ammo
Minigun
7 hand grenades
1 wooden board
2 hip pouches
6 handgun bullets
0 health items

Yeah, that's not really doable for me. I suck at video games.

It's easy if you get hurt then restart from the latest checkpoint on Standard.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Jeez, the Item Aversion weekly is no joke.
  • Topic Archived