• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Am i in a good position for S rank on standard?

User Info: pmort

pmort
1 month ago#11
You may not think you can S+ in hardcore, but I’ll say neither did I and now I’ve done it probably ten times, again last night without even really trying. If you only have the game for a few more days then yeah it might be tough but if you ever want to scratch that itch you can do it.

User Info: spankomycin

spankomycin
1 month ago#12
well i am definitely going to play hardcore when i get my infinite hand gun

I might try for the submachine gun; i noticed the cheats section doesnt say anything about not using infinite weapons to unlock this which might make things easier for me. The 2:30 time restriction though seems tight.

one step at a time... the infinite minigun/rocket launcher seems a little nuts though

User Info: 1KOLDSUMMER

1KOLDSUMMER
1 month ago#13
spankomycin posted...
Just want to get the unlimited handgun. I just finished sherry’s section and my time is 1:10:11 with 3 saves. Am I on a good track to get a S rank in standard?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You are fine buddy
PSN - jlinn

pmort
1 month ago#14
spankomycin posted...

I might try for the submachine gun; i noticed the cheats section doesnt say anything about not using infinite weapons to unlock this which might make things easier for me. The 2:30 time restriction though seems tight.

one step at a time... the infinite minigun/rocket launcher seems a little nuts though

You can use the infinite handgun for the infinite sub machine gun no problem, you just need S rank and the infinite handgun won’t disqualify you. I thought the launcher and minigun would be tough but the more you play/know the game, it becomes totally doable, to the point where I think they should’ve made trophies for S+. The real key is getting down your route as the time limit is 2:30 on 1st runs.

spankomycin
1 month ago#15
pmort posted...
spankomycin posted...

You can use the infinite handgun for the infinite sub machine gun no problem, you just need S rank and the infinite handgun won’t disqualify you. I thought the launcher and minigun would be tough but the more you play/know the game, it becomes totally doable, to the point where I think they should’ve made trophies for S+. The real key is getting down your route as the time limit is 2:30 on 1st runs.

did you run by most zombies in hardcore S+? my technique so far has been do a headshot and if i dont get a pop, shoot a leg to stun or make them crawl. If i dont do this, they grab me like crazy. I noticed dealing with zombies is what makes my time so variable. Its actually easier for me to deal with lickers, bosses and mr. x than the zombies

pmort
1 month ago#16
spankomycin posted...
pmort posted...
spankomycin posted...

did you run by most zombies in hardcore S+? my technique so far has been do a headshot and if i dont get a pop, shoot a leg to stun or make them crawl. If i dont do this, they grab me like crazy. I noticed dealing with zombies is what makes my time so variable. Its actually easier for me to deal with lickers, bosses and mr. x than the zombies

With both I get the weapons locker gun early and with Leon I go for headshots since there’s a f***ton of shells, or with Claire I make use of the flame rounds when needed as it’s a OHKO, you just need to give them a few seconds to burn. I only kill ones that will get in my way, and there’s a few times where I leg-pop and run, mostly early before I get the shotgun/GL. I kill more than I probably need to since I’m not strictly speedrunning but I can still finish around 1:30-1:40. I do make sure I hit gun powders on my way and mix the blue with the yellow often, either for general shotgun ammo for Leon or to stock up on acid rounds for the G3 fight.

spankomycin
1 month ago#17
With both I get the weapons locker gun early and with Leon I go for headshots since there’s a f***ton of shells, or with Claire I make use of the flame rounds when needed as it’s a OHKO, you just need to give them a few seconds to burn. I only kill ones that will get in my way, and there’s a few times where I leg-pop and run, mostly early before I get the shotgun/GL. I kill more than I probably need to since I’m not strictly speedrunning but I can still finish around 1:30-1:40. I do make sure I hit gun powders on my way and mix the blue with the yellow often, either for general shotgun ammo for Leon or to stock up on acid rounds for the G3 fight.

wow that is impressive; i am in the sewers and my time is 1:16:12 and feel i have been hauling butt (though i did waste time to get smg). I need to play more to get things a little better memorized and maybe watch some speed runs for a better overall route. My first hardcore run will just be with the intention of beating it.

pmort
1 month ago#18
spankomycin posted...

wow that is impressive; i am in the sewers and my time is 1:16:12 and feel i have been hauling butt (though i did waste time to get smg). I need to play more to get things a little better memorized and maybe watch some speed runs for a better overall route. My first hardcore run will just be with the intention of beating it.

Probably a good idea, as hardcore does make things considerably tougher. And I don’t even bother with the magnum or uzi anymore, so long as you grab the special weapon after g adult hell youre fine for G2 and G3. Those guns are nice to haves but not necessary at all.

User Info: KANE_79

KANE_79
1 month ago#19
spankomycin posted...
did you run by most zombies in hardcore S+?

You really only need to run past most zombies if you're trying to go as fast as possible. If you just want to make it under 2:30 for the weapons, you have some time to kneecap or kill zombies that are worthwhile (like in the library or on the dark room stairs).

It helps a lot to know which ones you'll only ever encounter once (no point taking the time to kill them) and which you'll be passing by more often.

It's also really handy knowing what triggers dormant zombies, so you can easily deal with them before they can fight back (lab near cold room) or simply never trigger them at all (cop sitting at desk in west office).

spankomycin posted...
I need to play more to get things a little better memorized

I highly recommend writing down all the locker codes and puzzle solutions. I have most of them memorised but not all (like the medallions).
Watch Out for Fireballs! A retro and non-current games podcast.
http://www.watchoutforfireballs.com
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Am i in a good position for S rank on standard?
  • Topic Archived