• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. So is Leon 1st and Claire 2nd round the "canon" story?

User Info: Cybersai

Cybersai
1 month ago#1
It makes sense aside from the fact that's how the game is introduced to you.

It makes more sense for Leon to interact with Marvin the police chief before he becomes a zombie. If you play as Claire first they just talk about her brother a bit and that's it. If you wait to Leon 2nd he doesn't even get to talk to him since he's a zombie already, whereas seeing them interact is much better.

Likewise if you play this way Leon gets to the station first and Claire second, which fits in with the events later on better. Even if both scenarios technically happen, seeing Anette try to kill Ada first and then meet up with Sherry/Claire fits a bit better. Then we can just assume Claire/Sherry are the ones who see Annette die after Annette goes after Ada one last time. Since Annette keeps "dying" but gets back up, which actually happens in Leon's story.

Lastly I like Claire being the one to deliver the final blow to William on the train than Leon, as it fits in with her trying to save/avenge Sherry from her parents better.

User Info: KarmelCHAOS

KarmelCHAOS
1 month ago#2
Nah, it's a mix of both. It can't be either one, because no matter what Annette dies twice and that's impossible.

User Info: NotoriousNick

NotoriousNick
1 month ago#3
Claire doesn’t just “talk with Marvin and move on”, she learns that Chris isn’t in town, which is a major plot device for Claire.

Problem with Resident Evil 1 & 2 is that it’s hard to establish a true canon because the player doesn’t see the canon play out the way we do in later titles. We still have yet see the true ending to RE1 in any form. Obviously somethings like putting out the fire can’t happen twice and some gameplay scenarios have to be cut.
We'll settle it in Smash!
Sonic, Pikachu, Bowser, Zero Suit Samus, Lucina, Charizard

User Info: solarboy52

solarboy52
1 month ago#4
I'm pretty sure REmake 2 isn't completely canon in general. I mean it hits the key points but i think the most canon story is still the original RE2 with claire A/ leon B
I'm not insane, I've just traveled so deep into insanity, that I came out on the other side into sanity

User Info: VancityKevo

VancityKevo
4 weeks ago#5
Things you encounter in Leon A, only make sense if Claire A happened... a couple examples are:

the broken mirror in the interrogation room - Claire scenario it get's broken, Leon scenario it is already broken

and

before G3 fight, Claire uses the locket to unlock the virus container, Leon grabs virus - locket is already there

User Info: Joeydollaz

Joeydollaz
4 weeks ago#6
Claire's delivers THE TRUE FINAL Scene of the mix events, Leon delivers just a tease.

User Info: fernantendo

fernantendo
4 weeks ago#7
VancityKevo posted...
Things you encounter in Leon A, only make sense if Claire A happened... a couple examples are:

the broken mirror in the interrogation room - Claire scenario it get's broken, Leon scenario it is already broken

and

before G3 fight, Claire uses the locket to unlock the virus container, Leon grabs virus - locket is already there

Both your points can be explained away easily though.

For your first point, it also happens in Claire B, and Claire in general starts closer to that room and has quicker access to it than Leon in either scenario.

For your second point, same thing. Generally, Claire gets there first in either scenario, and given the events that start after Leon gets there, it only makes sense if Claire went through there first.

There are other issues to explain why it cannot be canon, even if you ignore gameplay things (getting keys to open same rooms, fighting same bosses, etc...). The major problem is Annette. She is much, much harder to explain, though not impossible. But it still ends up weird.
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us

User Info: Scryed

Scryed
4 weeks ago#8
fernantendo posted...
VancityKevo posted...

and

Both your points can be explained away easily though.

For your first point, it also happens in Claire B, and Claire in general starts closer to that room and has quicker access to it than Leon in either scenario.

For your second point, same thing. Generally, Claire gets there first in either scenario, and given the events that start after Leon gets there, it only makes sense if Claire went through there first.

There are other issues to explain why it cannot be canon, even if you ignore gameplay things (getting keys to open same rooms, fighting same bosses, etc...). The major problem is Annette. She is much, much harder to explain, though not impossible. But it still ends up weird.

no annette is impossible to explain as she dies in different locations

User Info: ienzo105

ienzo105
4 weeks ago#9
Sigh..this again

The remake isn't canon, and is just a "reimagining". Think of it as a parellel universe. In the original the canon tier is Claire A, Leon B. Leon never met Marvin in the canon story. Leon came through the back of RPD. Claire came through the front and met Marvin through one of the side doors.
https://i.imgur.com/HbfKsMm.gifv

User Info: CLupula

CLupula
4 weeks ago#10
The remake is 100% canon and anyone who thinks it isn't is just clinging to the sad nostalgia of the original title. While they did screw stuff up by not giving us a proper A/B scenario, this is obviously meant to replace the original. I don't think it matters which ones went first, though, since, in the end, both stories lead to the same place. Annette does die, either way. Birkin does eventually end up as a fleshy tooth monster trying to eat a train, either way. I wish there were A/B scenarios, but we don't 100% need them.

This remake is the new canon. The end.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. So is Leon 1st and Claire 2nd round the "canon" story?
  • Topic Archived