• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Anyone else turned off after playing the demo? (Spoilers)

User Info: DigitalMorph

DigitalMorph
1 week ago#11
redorblue88 posted...
Bayonetta_ posted...
(PLEASE READ: This is only my opinion so please keep this in mind. Try the demo for yourself if you want a feel of the game.)
I think some will enjoy this because of blind nostalgic reasons. Beyond that it's a crappy below average game that's overhyped. At the moment I ask myself why in the hell I should buy this when there are better games out there.

I appreciate you're voicing an opinion but come on, this is pretty contradictory to your first sentence. You're claiming that as fact and surely you knew that statement would stir people up. I don't care myself tbh, im not a RE vet, i'm just getting into the series now. I happen to disagree with your opinion and can't wait for this game but more so it might have been more conducive to a constructive critique topic if you had omitted this sentence.

I’m not sure what you mean by him contradicting himsef. He stated this he was giving his opinion and proceeded to give his opinion

Anyway, I haven’t watched much footage of the game and will not play the demo. The darkness thing kinda bothers me (among other concerns), but I’m still excited about getting my hands on this game in 2 weeks
The Disco Biscuits are the best band ever

User Info: simonbelmont2

simonbelmont2
1 week ago#12
There's nothing wrong with not enjoying the game based on the demo, the game won't appeal to everyone.

However, I think it's a mistake to then make assumptions like "some people will enjoy this because of blind nostalgia." That's an assessment you aren't really qualified to make.

Apparently waiting for your reticle to recentre (forming an actual cross) does more damage. So that might make a difference to how long it takes to put down a zombie.
My baby run to me. She lives in broken down buildings. Can't pay the rent again. These spider webs are my home now.

User Info: WitchTrialz

WitchTrialz
1 week ago#13
You are 100% enetitled to your opinion, and I even welcome it.....Now allow me to tear your arguments to shreds...

Blind nostalgia? Yeah that exists, I also think there’s such a thing as “blind criticism”.
I’m just guessing, but, It seems to me like you didn’t like this remake from the start.

-The graphics are fantastic, the RE engine is among the best I’ve seen. I can’t help you with seeing that if you don’t see it. I might suggest a good optometrist.

-Boring atmosphere? I’m not sure what more you want...zombie strippers? Strobe lights? Would you like Chris to occasionally suplex through the wall and high five you?

- Realistic atmosphere? In a Resident Evil game...You’re joking, right? Just think about that for a second...or did you NOT make it to the giant god damn crocodile

-“Just making the game dark doesn’t make it scary”. Actually it’s been scientifically proven that monsters are in fact 100% scarier in the dark.

-“RE2’s classic atmosphere had lighting because the electricity still worked...”. Wow, you got me there...I can’t argue with that statement.

-Also, you say you want realism, then turn around and say the lights should still be on during a biohazard situation. For no other reason then for it to be more like the original. I don’t blame you, it’s the greatest game ever made.....and this is a REMAKE of the greatest game ever made. Not a RE-RELEASE.

-RE1’s Remake had a drastic change to its lighting as well, just sayin...

-Also also, Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it was stated long ago that you’ll be able to get the lights back on, making your point...pointless.

-Excuse me, are you trying to tell me, according to your “golden rule” that you headshoted zombies with a pistol in RE2 classic? I mean, I know you could do that with a shotgun if you were lucky enough or skilled enough, but a pistol?! You need to inform the speed runners of your one shot pistol tatics. They would appreciate that.

-Also, you know you can just...NOT kill them right? In fact, many RE players would argue that NOT wasting your ammo is an optimal strategy. You get NO points for killing anything in the game, just a clear path to your objectives. It’s almost like the devs purposefully made the enemies difficult to kill to establish some sense of tension and make the game challenging. It’s like some kind of...video game esq obstacle to over come....Go figure...

-FYI, downing a zomboid with leg shots is another strategy. Maybe you should work on your SiCk strats brah!

Now that I’ve thoroughly wasted my time and yours (because let’s face it, you’re not changing your mind about the game over my self absorbed snarky comments) I think I’ll leave it at that, and question my life choices.

User Info: _Caker_

_Caker_
1 week ago#14
I agree that I was surprised how I just wasn't feeling the atmosphere of it. The game isn't scary enough that they can just have endless silence and some darkness and expect that to carry them. I too would've liked some background, tension building music or something. Just something more.

Although a big part of it was the timer. It's such a moronic move to make a timed, one-shot demo for a game that relies heavily on atmosphere, because for me at least, it just completely destroys the immersion. At the back of my mind i'm just constantly thinking "gotta keep moving, can't stop to take in the environment". There was just no need for it. The demo has a clear end point that stops you exploring much anyway. Capcom's meanness with not wanting to give away free content or whatever the hell they were thinking could bite them in the ass here.

I also had similar thoughts about headshotting zombies. It just didn't seem worth the effort. About 4 headshots to down them and then they can get back up anyway. It just seems objectively better to shoot their leg off and then ignore them. I don't want the zombies to be easy to deal with, but aiming for the head should be rewarded. Make them die slightly faster to headshots but have less bullets or something.
I disagree.
http://i.imgur.com/E11krvB.gif

User Info: Danstars1

Danstars1
1 week ago#15
WitchTrialz posted...
You are 100% enetitled to your opinion, and I even welcome it.....Now allow me to tear your arguments to shreds...

Blind nostalgia? Yeah that exists, I also think there’s such a thing as “blind criticism”.
I’m just guessing, but, It seems to me like you didn’t like this remake from the start.

-The graphics are fantastic, the RE engine is among the best I’ve seen. I can’t help you with seeing that if you don’t see it. I might suggest a good optometrist.

-Boring atmosphere? I’m not sure what more you want...zombie strippers? Strobe lights? Would you like Chris to occasionally suplex through the wall and high five you?

- Realistic atmosphere? In a Resident Evil game...You’re joking, right? Just think about that for a second...or did you NOT make it to the giant god damn crocodile

-“Just making the game dark doesn’t make it scary”. Actually it’s been scientifically proven that monsters are in fact 100% scarier in the dark.

-“RE2’s classic atmosphere had lighting because the electricity still worked...”. Wow, you got me there...I can’t argue with that statement.

-Also, you say you want realism, then turn around and say the lights should still be on during a biohazard situation. For no other reason then for it to be more like the original. I don’t blame you, it’s the greatest game ever made.....and this is a REMAKE of the greatest game ever made. Not a RE-RELEASE.

-RE1’s Remake had a drastic change to its lighting as well, just sayin...

-Also also, Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it was stated long ago that you’ll be able to get the lights back on, making your point...pointless.

-Excuse me, are you trying to tell me, according to your “golden rule” that you headshoted zombies with a pistol in RE2 classic? I mean, I know you could do that with a shotgun if you were lucky enough or skilled enough, but a pistol?! You need to inform the speed runners of your one shot pistol tatics. They would appreciate that.

-Also, you know you can just...NOT kill them right? In fact, many RE players would argue that NOT wasting your ammo is an optimal strategy. You get NO points for killing anything in the game, just a clear path to your objectives. It’s almost like the devs purposefully made the enemies difficult to kill to establish some sense of tension and make the game challenging. It’s like some kind of...video game esq obstacle to over come....Go figure...

-FYI, downing a zomboid with leg shots is another strategy. Maybe you should work on your SiCk strats brah!

Now that I’ve thoroughly wasted my time and yours (because let’s face it, you’re not changing your mind about the game over my self absorbed snarky comments) I think I’ll leave it at that, and question my life choices.

Thank you

User Info: Suspiria

Suspiria
1 week ago#16
I remember how certain folks cried about the fact I said I watched a stream and expressed disinterest in the game. Then they were all 'Raaaawer you don't know what you're talking about cuz you didn't play the game your opinion is invalid blah blah blah!'

And I stated that this board would still be bashing people criticizing the game even if they played the demo.

And here we are with them doing exactly that.

Like I said, you guys did this same exact s*** with RE7. First, it was that people needed to wait until a trailer in order to judge the game. Then if they didn't like it upon seeing the trailer, that turned into them needing to wait until we had got and played a demo to give an opinion on the game. If people still didn't like what they saw from the demo, that transformed into 'you can't judge the game based on just a demo you need to wait until the game comes out!'

If people still didn't like what they played upon playing the full game, then the fanboys would be all 'oh, whatever you're just a spoiled fixed camera nostalgia fanboy who isn't open to change!'

This board is all about the blind hypetrain circle mentality.

User Info: Disellis

Disellis
1 week ago#17
I think the controls are intentionally weighty to try and emulate the effect of tank controls (having to think more about your movement and making swerving around zombies less easy) without actually using them. I really enjoyed that I couldn't just easily make Leon glide around the enemies; I actually second guessed myself once or twice in the demo on whether I should try to dodge around and potentially save bullets or stun the zombie first.

Also disagree about the zombies taking too long to kill. It's JUST like original RE2, you can empty a whole mag just dealing with a single zombie, and when you DO get the critical headshot it feels great. If you could just 1 shot every zombie to the head, they won't be a threat anymore. That's not rewarding skilled accuracy (headshots aren't difficult on fumbling slow ass zombies) it's removing the tension on when they're approaching you.

Currently if 4 zombies were rushing you in a hallway, it's intense. You'll be backing away, laying bullets into them as they slowly draw closer; desperately trying to create an opening to get by while also trying not to use more ammo than you have to. If the game had proper headshots, you'd just stand there and drop all 4 in as many bullets. If that was the case, they'd need to have Left 4 Dead style fast zombies that swarm you, which just isn't viable in a claustrophobic setting.

I can see your point about it being dark for the sake of being dark though. The lights all being on added to the atmosphere of being a normal police station filled with monsters. With all the lights off it feels like any old horror setting.
I don't think it's a big issue since they can do cool stuff with the lighting (the demo had one really cool part with a statue) though, so I see it more as a trade off than something that ruins it.
"Ha! You fight like my sister!"
"I have fought your sister. That is a compliment!"

User Info: Danstars1

Danstars1
1 week ago#18
Suspiria posted...
I remember how certain folks cried about the fact I said I watched a stream and expressed disinterest in the game. Then they were all 'Raaaawer you don't know what you're talking about cuz you didn't play the game your opinion is invalid blah blah blah!'

And I stated that this board would still be bashing people criticizing the game even if they played the demo.

Like I said, you guys did this same exact s*** with RE7. First, it was that people needed to wait until a trailer in order to judge the game. Then if they didn't like it upon seeing the trailer, that turned into them needing to wait until we had got and played a demo to give an opinion on the game. If people still didn't like what they saw from the demo, that transformed into 'you can't judge the game based on just a demo you need to wait until the game comes out!'

If people still didn't like what they played upon playing the full game, then the fanboys would be all 'oh, whatever you're just a spoiled fixed camera nostalgia fanboy who isn't open to change!'

Then stop coming on here if it annoys you so much. Problem solved

User Info: ccw47

ccw47
1 week ago#19
re 7 controlled perfect. bring fps mode.
The Left's idea of "common sense" gun control. The banning of the private ownership of firearms in America.

User Info: WitchTrialz

WitchTrialz
1 week ago#20
Suspiria posted...

It’s amazing how a forum dedicated to a game is mostly made up of memebers that are actually EXCITED to play that game. What a phenomenon
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Anyone else turned off after playing the demo? (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived