• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Anyone else turned off after playing the demo? (Spoilers)

User Info: Bayonetta_

Bayonetta_
1 week ago#1
(PLEASE READ: This is only my opinion so please keep this in mind. Try the demo for yourself if you want a feel of the game.)

I personally think it's from playing 3rd person shooters with much better controls. The controls in my opinion are very bad compared to other modern shooters. The graphics are really bad and blurry to a degree at times. The atmosphere is extremely boring and the lack of background music doesn't help. Just making the game dark doesn't mean it's scary. Classic RE2 was scary because it had a certain level of realistic atmosphere.

RE2's classic atmosphere had lighting because the electricity still worked yet still had a creepy gloominess to it. This new one is just dead boring because it's like every other modern horror game by simply making everything dark and cheap pathetic jump scares.

The zombies in this take way too much time to kill even if you headshot them. Golden rule 101 a basic zombie should NEVER take long to kill if you shoot them in the head. This game doesn't reward accuracy.

I think some will enjoy this because of blind nostalgic reasons. Beyond that it's a crappy below average game that's overhyped. At the moment I ask myself why in the hell I should buy this when there are better games out there.

(Btw I did load up classic RE2 and had a blast. The tank controls worked for it's time, the graphics were good for it's time and story was campy in a good way. Lastly, the horror was and still is creepy. That gloom feeling is what makes RE games creepy, not darkness and cheap jump scares. In classic RE2 you knew or had a feeling an enemy was coming and it still creeped you out. It didn't need cheap jump scares like this new game)

User Info: p06111981

p06111981
1 week ago#2
I definitely see some of re6s jankyness in the movement and combat. However I'm beyond positively biased due to pure nostalgia.

User Info: Venage27

Venage27
1 week ago#3
Good luck my friend. You have summoned the wrath of the forum. Folks here believe that the game has no flaws.

User Info: Giggins

Giggins
1 week ago#4
All of this is completely subjective. You're missing the point about the game's audio though. The sparse music emphasizes the ambient noises of your surroundings. Far off creaks and moans, stuff like that. Play this with headphones, it's great.

User Info: youngskillz

youngskillz
1 week ago#5
Venage27 posted...
Good luck my friend. You have summoned the wrath of the forum. Folks here believe that the game has no flaws.

everything has flaws.

yeah re2make aswell.

still depsite them i'm mostly digging the game.
Metal Bands -- Dawn of Ashes, Disarmonia Mundi, Words Of Farewell, I Spit Ashes, Urilia, Dark Portrait, Temple of Demigod, Sidious, Septic Flesh.

User Info: MrMexican95

MrMexican95
1 week ago#6
You know you can toggle with the controls to find a style that suits you. There's a more classic control style in the menu.

If zombies died with one shot to the head, this game would be too easy Besides the while point is to wait and let the crosshairs shrink to get an more precise shot and the chance of a headshot that explores their head apart.

Old RE was full of "cheap" jump scares. It's a trait that's stuck with the series. If you complain about them in the remake it's a bit hypocritical since there was plenty of jump scares in the original RE2.

As for the atmosphere, it's subjective but I think it worked perfectly. Besides you can tell by the fuse boxes that you will be able to turn the lights on later in the game. I find the lack of music quite effective. It's was used well in the RE1 remake and RE7. As someone else said, it works well with headphones and/or surround sound.
LEEEEOOOONNNN!!! HEELLLPPP!!

User Info: Venage27

Venage27
1 week ago#7
Giggins posted...
All of this is completely subjective. You're missing the point about the game's audio though. The sparse music emphasizes the ambient noises of your surroundings. Far off creaks and moans, stuff like that. Play this with headphones, it's great.

Still RE2 had one of the best soundtracks in the series, especially for the boss fights so their absence is an understandable loss.

User Info: PrettyBoyMarth

PrettyBoyMarth
1 week ago#8
Strongly disagree. The controls are super tight/refined and the gun play is satisfying. I'm more hyped then ever.
Wind Waker >>> Ocarina of Time. People who agree: 543

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
1 week ago#9
Bayonetta_ posted...
The zombies in this take way too much time to kill even if you headshot them. Golden rule 101 a basic zombie should NEVER take long to kill if you shoot them in the head. This game doesn't reward accuracy.

I'll test this out myself in the demo later but if true it really defeats the purpose of manual aiming.
Z370 | i7 8700 | Cryorig M9i | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR4 | WDB 3TB |500GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | VS XG2703-GS | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: redorblue88

redorblue88
1 week ago#10
Bayonetta_ posted...
(PLEASE READ: This is only my opinion so please keep this in mind. Try the demo for yourself if you want a feel of the game.)
I think some will enjoy this because of blind nostalgic reasons. Beyond that it's a crappy below average game that's overhyped. At the moment I ask myself why in the hell I should buy this when there are better games out there.

I appreciate you're voicing an opinion but come on, this is pretty contradictory to your first sentence. You're claiming that as fact and surely you knew that statement would stir people up. I don't care myself tbh, im not a RE vet, i'm just getting into the series now. I happen to disagree with your opinion and can't wait for this game but more so it might have been more conducive to a constructive critique topic if you had omitted this sentence.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Anyone else turned off after playing the demo? (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived