You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Remakes have been overdone, just move on with the story.

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
1 week ago#71
Evil77 posted...
riddlebox89 posted...
No a remake is not just remaking the graphics. A remake is remaking every single thing about the game. If only the graphics were redone, it's not a remake.
Seriously, remake and remaster are two completely different terms with two completely different meanings, they're not interchangeable. A remake is an old game rebuilt from scratch with modern technology, so for all intents and purposes, it's a completely new game. A remaster is the exact same game, it just looks better.

@riddlebox89

So Shadow of the Colossus PS4 is also a remaster? It’s literally the exact same PS2 game but it just looks better. I could’ve sworn the developers called it a remake. That’s why I’m getting confused between the two terms.

Remake 1 on PS4 is also a remaster, right?

I thought a remaster was just upscaling existing graphics to HD and enhancing the audio?

I’m not an expert so is there an official definition of those 2 terms somewhere to settle this once and for all? I’d like to know.

As far as the topic is concerned, I appreciate your opinion TC but I for one would love to see more remakes, or remasters or reimagined or whatever it’s called. Especially if they’ll look just as good as Remake 2 and Shadow of the Colossus PS4.

Omg I’d pay big bucks to play a MGS2-3 remake!

You are correct.

Remaster- improves existing graphics and sounds.

Remake- recreating the game from scratch.

The Crash trilogy is a remake as it has new assets.
I'll never long for what might have been
To add to the remake and remaster stuff, a reboot is the same series new universe. Then you have re imagining which should be same universe but different timeline(what if scenario). There are also retcon which is the same universe and same timeline but things are being changed to fit with the same story(adding more meat to story). Both REmakes are remakes that are also retcons. An example is Lisa wasn't in RE1 but is now supposed to be part of that story.
Friendly Neighborhood Panty-HamHam :3

User Info: Ryozaki311

Ryozaki311
1 week ago#73
Oni Seraph posted...
If it "hurts" and did so enough for you to see 3 different doctors something isn't right. Fact is doctors are people too. People who go through a lot of school, but they are still people and prone to mistakes. That said I'm not a doctor and a smaller heart could be the reason why. But exercise should still help. If you can't run wherever you are push up, crunches, air squats, lunges and burpees can all be done everywhere.

Like the others said it happens because of fight or flight response triggering. If it hurts its because your heart isn't strong enough to get into it or maintain it. The reaction is normal, pain not so much. If you are running 4 min miles I really dont know what to tell you, but something tells me you could probably benefit from more physical activity. All it takes is like a 10 min routine when you wake up and before bed to put you really close to getting the recommended weekly exercise.

well no harm in trying then guess this is a new thing to do in 2019 thanks to you and everyone for the concern
"ill be back!"
-RoboCop
Det_Beauregard posted...
There's no way they can make RE8 anything other than an all-out action fest if it stars Jake. Thus, I don't ever want to see him return to the series. He was an annoying and arrogant character.

The series is always going to have action moments, and even a character like Jake doesn't automatically equate to action fest. If the story and situation was right, he can just as easily be part of a horror oriented game. Lost In Nightmares is horror oriented despite Chris and Jill being “superheroes”.

User Info: riddlebox89

riddlebox89
1 week ago#75
TrueGB posted...
You're ignoring the fact that the game plays differently from the original, nevermind the fact a lot of the game's tone, dialogue, and characters have been changed. It's a remake that has been reimagined as an RE4-like.

You guys put WAY too much weight on the story.

How a game plays has nothing to do with whether it's a remake or a re-imagining. Hell even REmake didn't play exactly like the original.

Also, REmake's tone and dialogue was also changed. Still a remake.

Gee maybe because story is the main thing that separates remake from re-imagining?

markm316 posted...
So what? So you're wrong. You literally said that it was the exact same story. I proved that it was not. I said nothing else on the matter. If you cannot admit that what you stated was wrong, there is no reason for myself or anyone else to give any statement you make credibility. In fact, you are losing credibility with all users when you post things like this.

As has been stated on this board many times before - we the fans do not determine what is or isn't for this series. We must go by what we hear/see from the developers. I provided to you proof of what a producer literally said about his opinion on the usage of those words with regards to his own game. Your opinion, regardless of any of the actual meaning of the terms, means less than his with regards to his own game.

The overall plot of the game is exactly the same as it was in the original. Subtle alterations or new things being introduced do not change that. So again, so f***ing what? Nothing major was changed.

I don't give a single f*** what some producer said. Using the term to describe something that doesn't fit the term is using the term wrong. Being a video game producer doesn't mean you can call an apple an orange and not be called a dullard.

BIack_Dynamite posted...
It is clearly a reimagining because it’s still a remake. It doesn’t have to be one or the other for some arbitrary reason.

Uhh no, it actually is one or the other because both words describe entirely different things.

Crimson_Storm posted...
You are correct.

Remaster- improves existing graphics and sounds.

Remake- recreating the game from scratch.

The Crash trilogy is a remake as it has new assets.

Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Snake Eater 3D, all have new assets, still not considered remakes.

Like you said, a remake is recreating the game from scratch. What you don't get is that it means the entire game, not just parts of it.

Crash and Spyro only had their graphics and voice acting redone, everything else is largely the same as the PS1 originals. Which makes them remasters, they just had more effort put into them than others.
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.

User Info: Oni Seraph

Oni Seraph
1 week ago#76
Ryozaki311 posted...
well no harm in trying then guess this is a new thing to do in 2019 thanks to you and everyone for the concern

Its just a small change that could help you enjoy things you want easily.
Oni Seraph: Be humble on your path.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself. Trust yourself, always.
BIack_Dynamite posted...
The series is always going to have action moments, and even a character like Jake doesn't automatically equate to action fest. If the story and situation was right, he can just as easily be part of a horror oriented game. Lost In Nightmares is horror oriented despite Chris and Jill being “superheroes”.

I don't mind some action here or there. Hell, RE4 is one of my favorite games in the series. However, Capcom introduced Jake as a melee combat expert badass, so to scale a scenario with him back to "trapped in an isolated location with little to no ability to perform melee moves" (like the classic games and remakes) would make little sense.

I wouldn't mind a game like RE4 again, as long as it was single-player only.

User Info: edward18

edward18
1 week ago#78
If all they've done is redo the graphics, then yes they are remasters.

No they f***ing aren't. That's not what a remaster is.

Remakes are every single last bit of the game redone from scratch.

...no s***? By that logic you should admit then that Crash and Spyro's redone trilogies are remakes.

Something that seems to go in one ear and out the other for you.

That's you.

Yes, and Crash and Spyro are the original material.

Not in the remakes they aren't.

I don't seem to understand? You're not using them interchangeably? Could've fooled me. I mean you are the one saying that a game that is exactly the same as it was before, but just looks better, is somehow a remake when that would define a remaster.

That's not what I said. I said USING THE ORIGINAL MATERIAL. Crash and Spyro's graphics were remade. Hence they are remakes.

Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Snake Eater 3D, all have new assets, still not considered remakes.

If they remade the graphics then they are remakes.

Like you said, a remake is recreating the game from scratch. What you don't get is that it means the entire game, not just parts of it.

And if you redo the graphics you redo the entire thing.

Crash and Spyro only had their graphics and voice acting redone, everything else is largely the same as the PS1 originals.

And with that that means the entire f***ing game is redone.

Which makes them remasters, they just had more effort put into them than others.

THAT IS NOT A f***ING REMASTER!
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
1 week ago#79
edward18 posted...
If all they've done is redo the graphics, then yes they are remasters.

No they f***ing aren't. That's not what a remaster is.

Remakes are every single last bit of the game redone from scratch.

...no s***? By that logic you should admit then that Crash and Spyro's redone trilogies are remake.

Something that seems to go in one ear and out the other for you.

That's you.

Yes, and Crash and Spyro are the original material.

Not in the remakes they aren't.

I don't seem to understand? You're not using them interchangeably? Could've fooled me. I mean you are the one saying that a game that is exactly the same as it was before, but just looks better, is somehow a remake when that would define a remaster.

That's not what I said. I said USING THE ORIGINAL MATERIAL. Crash and Spyro's graphics were remade. Hence they are remakes.

If they remade the graphics then they are remakes.

And if you redo the graphics you redo the entire thing.

Crash and Spyro only had their graphics and voice acting redone, everything else is largely the same as the PS1 originals.

And with that that means the entire f***ing game is redone.

Which makes them remasters, they just had more effort put into them than others.

THAT IS NOT A f***ING REMASTER!

Thank you!
I'll never long for what might have been
Wouldn't be gamefaqs without nerds arguing the semantics of language in remake vs remaster instead of actually contributing the to the topic.

Remakes aren't going anywhere either. It's much safer for AAA devs to pour millions $ into remastering games they already knew sold well than risk making a new IP/title that has the potential of bombing.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Remakes have been overdone, just move on with the story.