• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. The maps in Resident Evil 0 make no sense

User Info: Mr_Big_Boss

Mr_Big_Boss
3 months ago#11
MrWayne posted...
The main problem is the inclusion of RE2's lab at all, which we subsequently discovered was added late in development as a homage to expand the finale of the game but they didn't really think too much about the specifics of it, hence the problems.

MrWayne posted...
The 'Magic Elevator

I suppose I can dismiss the elevator bit since it's more of a gameplay mechanic but the freight lift leading to the treatment plant is just whack. What they should've done was made it so the church lab leads to the RE2 lab and we ride the freight lift up to the top and take a door to the treatment plant. It's just poor planning on the developers part. That's the problem with having a B team working on another title in the same series. The game would be a lot different if Mikami was more involved, but he was working on REmake instead.
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
Shenmue III

User Info: PyroBlondie4

PyroBlondie4
3 months ago#12
Because of fixed camera! It's just a bad level design in these games overall. It's nothing new to any of us, right?

User Info: Recycled

Recycled
3 months ago#13
PyroBlondie4 posted...
Because of fixed camera! It's just a bad level design in these games overall. It's nothing new to any of us, right?

RE4 and onward had OTS and even worst level design.
Picture what the castle's walls/perimeter would look like from this map.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/931851-resident-evil-4/faqs/52387
BTW, notice it's a tall castle with a single floor-plan.

I'm sure RE5 would be worse if anyone cared to piece the maps together.

REv1 and REv2 suffer from the same problem.
REv2's mansion also has rooms separated by long corridors, while being underground. Despite being a mansion, it's bathrooms look like from public buildings.

User Info: Recycled

Recycled
3 months ago#14
Draug posted...
Talk about obsession, all that work must have taken quite a while to do... What's so difficult with just ignoring it? Try to have fun instead while playing, I certainly had!

I think in RE0 is particularly noticeable because the tram is something you work towards activating it and gives the sensation you go far away, and then you come under the train wreck at the beginning.

This is actually an important detail that often gets ignored in games: logical placement and consistency of maps.

Particularly, if you're playing a game like a survival horror, or open world RPG, if you have to stop to think where you're going before you waste time or ressources, it's only natural you will try to make sensible guesses where things are as they would IRL.

If you have business with (, say,) a company, you don't enter their installations and roam aimlessly deep inside until you find the reception. You expect the reception to be at the entrance, with a bar/lounge nearby.

In the case of RE, it's kind of useless since the maps are restricted and small anyway, but I think it's normal people notice these things.

User Info: Mr_Big_Boss

Mr_Big_Boss
3 months ago#15
Recycled posted...
slug

RE4 and onward had OTS and even worst level design.
Picture what the castle's walls/perimeter would look like from this map.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/931851-resident-evil-4/faqs/52387
BTW, notice it's a tall castle with a single floor-plan.

I'm sure RE5 would be worse if anyone cared to piece the maps together.

REv1 and REv2 suffer from the same problem.
REv2's mansion also has rooms separated by long corridors, while being underground. Despite being a mansion, it's bathrooms look like from public buildings.

Please don't quote the troll. Life is better when you can't see his posts.
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
Shenmue III

User Info: samantha_sneez

samantha_sneez
3 months ago#16
Syn_Vengeance posted...
Most of Zero makes no sense.

This soooooo much.
-Cartoons are people, too
-Not changing this signature until LeBron James treats me to a nice lobster dinner.

User Info: Darkside_Hazuki

Darkside_Hazuki
3 months ago#17
BrandonHennig posted...
Oh, so you're one of those "turn off your brain" types.

a.k.a. REmake2 fan.
"This is what makes a legend!" - Terry, KoF '99
RE Outbreak/PSN: Stick_Breitling; Metal Gear Online: Gabe LOGAN

User Info: Draug

Draug
3 months ago#18
BrandonHennig posted...
Draug posted...
Talk about obsession, all that work must have taken quite a while to do... What's so difficult with just ignoring it? Try to have fun instead while playing, I certainly had!

Oh, so you're one of those "turn off your brain" types. Yeah some people like using their brain, It's the major thing that separates us from the other creatures of this earth. Have fun being not using your higher functions.

Did you get an erection out of writing this? Your need to "show" others that you have a brain just hints to the opposite! Have fun living in a fantasy world, this is the last you'll hear from me, you degenerate!
"Yup, I've been drinking again!"

User Info: samantha_sneez

samantha_sneez
3 months ago#19
Come on you guy, don’t fight. It’s just a video game.
-Cartoons are people, too
-Not changing this signature until LeBron James treats me to a nice lobster dinner.

User Info: fan357

fan357
3 months ago#20
Syn_Vengeance posted...
Most of Zero makes no sense.
Never forget where you came from.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. The maps in Resident Evil 0 make no sense
  • Topic Archived