• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why is there so much hate for fans of the "original" gameplay?

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
4 months ago#171
Mehran456 posted...
MrMexican95 posted...
Tbh it's more like FC fans hating OTS and anyone liking the newer styles of RE games and then claiming that they hate FC.

I don't see much hate for FC here except for lightning and his alts.

You either get people who like FC and hate everything else that isn't like RE pre 4 or people who generally like the whole series, regardless of camera style.

This

I 2nd this. Why am I not allowed to like em all? My fave was Outbreak which did Classic RE way better than RE1 or RE2 ever did. RE3 was basically a Dino Crisis 2 reskin.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
4 months ago#172
I just want the game to take place in a Residence and not backroads in Africa (RE 5) or the Michal Bay movie approach of RE6. I thoroughly enjoyed the REMAKE and Zero is underrated. If you get a chance to play RE5's DLC or on the Gold Edition. The Spencer Mansion is really fun and I enjoyed RE7 because of the Residence.

I think people hate the old style is because the game controls like a RC car and in tight situations it's counterintuitive and mildly frustrating.

The games were called Biohazard which was much more descriptive of what the series has always been about. You can't really do much with a resident setting without at least injecting some super natural aspects into it like what RE4 originally wanted to do.

RE5's main problem is that it failed to understand that RE4 actually was inspired by horror, mainly H.P. Lovecraft & 80s era John Carpenter movies which were also heavily inspired by H.P. Lovecraft but with a more sci-fi twist which is exactly how I would describe RE4. RE5 was Capcom just ripping off a Call of Duty setting and trying to retrofit it into RE. RE6 actually directly rips off Black Ops 1 with a few of its Leon & Chris scenarios.

It's those types of gripes that I can understand hardcore ELITIST classic RE fans having such a big issue with coz RE5 & RE6 really did have a sad excuse for horror build up and neither of them were even inspired by horror works either. Hell RE6 had some Uncharted influences of all things, LOL!
I just get really annoyed when ClassicFans pout over RE4 too when that game has plenty of evidence of horror DNA embed within its scenarios, you just need to actually be a fan of horror (The entire genre which includes books, & films.) to be able to clearly see what's in front of your face while playing RE4. The weirdness of RE4's village is clearly inspired by Shadow over Innsmouth & the setting actually is creepy until in typical Crapcom fashion, they over explain the plot to you. RE7 had the same problem, it's scary at first until it too overexplained the plot to you.

There must be a reason why there were never sequels to games like "Fear Effect 2" and Silicon Knight's "Eternal Darkness". It's a big risk for a producer and developer too.

There was a direct story continuation to Fear Effect 2 called Fear Effect Sedna but that game is complete garbage. It's not survival horror at all and they turned it into a RTS strategy game, LOL! Yeah that's exactly what I wanted from a horror franchise. At least RE4 was heavily coated in horror atmosphere.

RE5 & 6 not so much, but the actual gunplay from those two games are very unique & fun. You'd never see a Western dev make a gun-based game revolve around melee takedowns.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: bigybri

bigybri
4 months ago#173
There was a direct story continuation to Fear Effect 2 called Fear Effect Sedna but that game is complete garbage. It's not survival horror at all and they turned it into a RTS strategy game, LOL! Yeah that's exactly what I wanted from a horror franchise. At least RE4 was heavily coated in horror atmosphere.

Thanks HopesPeak, never new there was anything close to a sequel to "FE2". I know there was rumors of "FE Inferno" going back to the PS2 days. The games most be loved somewhere because they command some coin in new condition.

Fear Effect was one of the first cell shaded games and when I played it on my PS3 via emulation it held up very well. Such a great adult game. It's just way too puzzle oriented for most gamers. Maybe that's why the FC or RC control games gamers dont' want. Ah, just go to Youtube if you are stuck.
The Infinite Improbability Drive is our New Hope

User Info: Oni Seraph

Oni Seraph
4 months ago#174
HopesPeak posted...
I personally think that the RE4-RE6 games have the most unique gunplay out of any shooter ever devised and I find it sad how games with such gunplay no longer exist. It doesn't make sense to me coz none of them flopped. The only one that did kinda flop was RE4. RE5 & RE6 were both in Capcom's Top 3 selling games until Monster Hunter World came around & bumped out RE5. RE is one of the few cases where they stopped making a popular series of games just because of a loud portion of the fanbase who can't get over their decade's old games

Many of us that support OTS style agree that while they are all good games they are poor RE games (more so 5 and 6). I would agree they are good shooters but RE should at least make better attempts to embody horror. I really had high hopes that ORC would perfect the shooter side of the series and allow for good action and horror games in the series but it choked a bit too hard.

It isn't just the hardline classic fans that think 5 or 6 went a little too far action, problem is they finger OTS while others finger the actual action elements. I believe they have a place in the series but I think they need to flesh out both system(Horror or Action) but also keep them somewhat separated.
Oni Seraph: Be humble on your path.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself. Trust yourself, always.

User Info: PyroBlondie4

PyroBlondie4
4 months ago#175
I hate fixed camera angles! All these games that have them are not real survival-horror experience! I know for a fact!

User Info: GodXII

GodXII
4 months ago#176
PyroBlondie4 posted...
I hate fixed camera angles! All these games that have them are not real survival-horror experience! I know for a fact!

Wrong.

RE2 Playstation 4 have terrible camera which randomly zooms, while run and gunning. Also when near wall, zooms. So annoying. We already have similar games like this over and over. Fixed camera like in RE1 gives more horror tense, because you do not know if there are zombies hiding beyond that wall. While in RE2 Reboot, you just run and gun ( feels like Duke Nukem ) and this does not gives any scare. So lame. But people who like the new RE2, do not understand that when games like this, gives headache, swindle etc, while playing similar games over and over. Too much spinning.

User Info: PyroBlondie4

PyroBlondie4
4 months ago#177
GodXII posted...
PyroBlondie4 posted...

Wrong.

RE2 Playstation 4 have terrible camera which randomly zooms, while run and gunning. Also when near wall, zooms. So annoying. We already have similar games like this over and over. Fixed camera like in RE1 gives more horror tense, because you do not know if there are zombies hiding beyond that wall. While in RE2 Reboot, you just run and gun ( feels like Duke Nukem ) and this does not gives any scare. So lame. But people who like the new RE2, do not understand that when games like this, gives headache, swindle etc, while playing similar games over and over. Too much spinning.

Why are you on that board then, if you don’t like RE2 remake?! Do you even want to play it?!

User Info: A-I

A-I
3 months ago#178
The interesting thing is the argument is generally new v old , and the old style was lifted from the original alone in the dark in pretty much every way, it’s not as if it was all invented by resident evil.

That being said I’ve enjoyed both styles of game, but whilst one makes more money than the other , the other isn’t coming back regardless of who shouts the loudest.

Besides if you were Capcom and thought you’d use this board to get your finger on the pulse of your fan base , I’m not sure how much stock you’d put in a lot of the opinions given how quickly the debates turn into baiting and playground arguing .

User Info: DemonCurse69

DemonCurse69
3 months ago#179
It should be first person like 7.
Next time, do the world the favor you promised. QUACK

User Info: Colin_B91

Colin_B91
3 months ago#180
The haters are people who can't handle real survival horror. They need OTS aiming and infinite bullets because they suck at OG survival horror games.
Help me ban GameFAQ's most hated user
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=1947548
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why is there so much hate for fans of the "original" gameplay?
  • Topic Archived