• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why is there so much hate for fans of the "original" gameplay?

User Info: Mike_24_7

Mike_24_7
1 month ago#161
Scared_to_Death posted...
BrandonHennig posted...
Mike_24_7 posted...
original style is Iconic

And cinematic, and atmospheric, and artistic. It's a form of cinematography. The way the developers chose to frame certain things was great.

This

From a hardware limitation came something artistically beautiful that is unmatched in other gameplay formats. Remaster looks good though.

they had to put actual thought in how to design the map due to the views
Lazy devs & Lazy shills don't like me

User Info: BrandonHennig

BrandonHennig
1 month ago#162
Mike_24_7 posted...
Scared_to_Death posted...
BrandonHennig posted...
Mike_24_7 posted...
original style is Iconic

And cinematic, and atmospheric, and artistic. It's a form of cinematography. The way the developers chose to frame certain things was great.

This

From a hardware limitation came something artistically beautiful that is unmatched in other gameplay formats. Remaster looks good though.

they had to put actual thought in how to design the map due to the views

Not only that but each and every single camera placement was intentional. I wonder how many they tried before finding the ones they went with.
Favorite games---Silent Hill 2, Biohazard 2 & 3, and--

User Info: Ada-Wong-Fan

Ada-Wong-Fan
1 month ago#163
PyroBlonde posted...
villanut32 posted...
Part of why I loved Resi 1-3 was limited bullets and heal items meant death was around every corner, could I risk head shoting a zombie or would I need the ammo later?.
Should I use my last green herb, or wait and hope I find a red herb?.

This is just an illusion. There's no threat of running out of resources at all. I've checked it so many times. These are just cheap tactics of easy, boring and limited games of the past!

BTW! Revelations 1, Revelations 2 are the pinnacle of survival-horror. And these classic RE 1-3 are just 'survival-boring' genre in my book. And I'm so thankful to Capcom for this proper RE2 remake.

Resident Evil 2 (2019) isn't Proper Remake unlike Faithful Remake of Resident Evil 2 by
Rod Lima
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBvR9zl1Zg&t=32s
Without Stella = 29.99-39.99 Buy / With Stella = Full Price, Resident Evil Series R.I.P. 1996-2002 thanks to False 4-6 False Revelations 1-2.

User Info: shinefist101

shinefist101
1 month ago#164
I love the FC approach as it gives the locations character and scares. I think they chose 3rd person view this time because the aiming makes more sense.
Also how would you aim your gun in FC. Let's say you aim and the camera changes to 3rd person, would the graphics be compromised and make the background look weird. Or just keep it the same style as REremake with more game mechanics maybe.

User Info: bigybri

bigybri
4 weeks ago#165
I just want the game to take place in a Residence and not backroads in Africa (RE 5) or the Michal Bay movie approach of RE6. I thoroughly enjoyed the REMAKE and Zero is underrated. If you get a chance to play RE5's DLC or on the Gold Edition. The Spencer Mansion is really fun and I enjoyed RE7 because of the Residence.

I think people hate the old style is because the game controls like a RC car and in tight situations it's counterintuitive and mildly frustrating. There must be a reason why there were never sequels to games like "Fear Effect 2" and Silicon Knight's "Eternal Darkness". It's a big risk for a producer and developer too.
The Infinite Improbability Drive is our New Hope
(message deleted)

User Info: MrMexican95

MrMexican95
4 weeks ago#167
Tbh it's more like FC fans hating OTS and anyone liking the newer styles of RE games and then claiming that they hate FC.

I don't see much hate for FC here except for lightning and his alts.

You either get people who like FC and hate everything else that isn't like RE pre 4 or people who generally like the whole series, regardless of camera style.
LEEEEOOOONNNN!!! HEELLLPPP!!

User Info: Mehran456

Mehran456
4 weeks ago#168
MrMexican95 posted...
Tbh it's more like FC fans hating OTS and anyone liking the newer styles of RE games and then claiming that they hate FC.

You either get people who like FC and hate everything else that isn't like RE pre 4 or people who generally like the whole series, regardless of camera style.

This
This is my signature
Do you like it?

User Info: Syn_Vengeance

Syn_Vengeance
4 weeks ago#169
Mehran456 posted...
MrMexican95 posted...

This

Yup.
When your name is finally drawn, I'll be happy that you're gone. Ash to Ashes, Dust to Dust.

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
4 weeks ago#170
I hate how Classic RE fans so damn snobby and accuse you of never playing the classics. I played RE1 back when it first came out when I was only 11 years old. I didn't know what the hell I was doing but I did enjoy it.
I do find it telling how even as a kid I never thought RE was scary. RE has always had this "cool" vibe to it that prevent it from ever being that terrifying. Only Silent 1, 2 & Siren 2 have ever scared me and they were all made by the same development team. (Siren 2 is made by the same former Konami employees who did SH1.)

I personally think that the RE4-RE6 games have the most unique gunplay out of any shooter ever devised and I find it sad how games with such gunplay no longer exist. It doesn't make sense to me coz none of them flopped. The only one that did kinda flop was RE4. RE5 & RE6 were both in Capcom's Top 3 selling games until Monster Hunter World came around & bumped out RE5. RE is one of the few cases where they stopped making a popular series of games just because of a loud portion of the fanbase who can't get over their decade's old games.

Am I the only one who remembers that the PS2 era was a time when Capcom did nothing but ripoff RE1 over & over? They even killed other horror franchises such as Clock Tower by trying to Resident Evil-fy it when CT worked coz it was inspired by Italian horror. Nope here comes Capcom with their classic animu attempt at horror. I loved the Western Animu aesthetic (Think Metal Gear, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell.) when it came to Resident Evil, because it was part of RE's charm. I don't like it when applied to other horror games.

The things that I liked about classic style RE are imo done much better in Alien Isolation, Outlast & even multiplayer online games such as Dead by Daylight which feels like the true successor to RE Outbreak. Is it any wonder that RE7 tried to copy those games?
What happened to the RE that used to be a trendsetter? I do not miss the Classic RE arbritrary random puzzles and all sorts of nonsense that's only accepted because it's a video game and video games are expected to be random.

TLDR:
I just really hate how classic RE fans act like RE4 brought nothing of value when the village level was the best portrayal of Lovecraft style atmosphere ever attempted in a game all the way up until Bloodborne ripped off the same exact story with their lovecraft inspired village. You never hear about that though, coz the RE fanbase is filled with snobs who force you to choose one or the other. Some of us loved every RE game, except Orc, & Dead Aim, lol.

Nah I did play Orc a lot, it was fun with friends, maybe that's why RE fanbase is so stuck up. They have no friends, hah hah I say that in jest though but maybe there's a point to it.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why is there so much hate for fans of the "original" gameplay?
  • Topic Archived