• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why is there so much hate for fans of the "original" gameplay?

User Info: vinj420

vinj420
4 months ago#151
The only thing fixed cameras were useful for from a developers point of view was the idea of uncertainty around every corner. That was THE scare factor in the originals. Never knowing what was around the corner. RE 1 on the first playstation was the most terrifying game at the time because of its fixed cameras along with its rival silent hill. This one tho im definitely excited about. A bit of nostalgia for my ass who played this when it all started, and a lot more than just a remaster. Im glad they picked 2. Would of been sweeter if they did 3 cuz that was my favorite but im looking forward to the new police station 😀

User Info: bluegender4ever

bluegender4ever
4 months ago#152
CODEumb87 posted...
Because a lot of purists are ignorant as hell. The funniest thing I’ve heard yet from them is that this remake is RE4 with a RE2 skin over it.

after watching most of the official footage available, it reminds me mostly of a cross between RE6 and the rebooted Tomb Raider. It's not like RE4 at all which is a lot less fluid ("clunky") and REmake2 is less surreal, so that comparison is pretty absurd,yeah.

CODEumb87 posted...
And then you have the purists recently who think the zombie groaning and walking sound effects (yes, walking sound effects) are superior in the original ‘98 version than in the 2019 remake.... let that sink in just to show how ridiculous they can be.

Iconic, nostalgic, maybe. Not superior. I mean, I'm one of those that is pretty hostile to Claire's changes and I had no problem with the OG game's score, but arguing in favor of what was state of the art (or just what they could get) THEN vs. what is start of the art NOW is kinda dumb when there's a clear quality difference like with sound effects or character modelling. This from a firm believer of games being "dated" as falsehood of generational bandwagonist railing.

Remember other stuff in the 90's that also used (poor sounding)MIDI synth orchestras and how they're not really around anymore? Every time I watch the (old) Ju-On series again that distinctive sound takes me back into the state of mind of experiencing such a 90's piece of media, but it has a distinct marker of lesser quality and it isn't around anymore for that very reason. It's particularly jarring to hear the difference between these synth orchestras and real instrumental scorings in the newer movies, so much so that seem to be parody or homages instead of genuine.
23,000 Days in the fire was long enough, Robin, you've gone home...
RIP ROBIN WILLIAMS (July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014)

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 months ago#153
bluegender4ever posted...
CODEumb87 posted...
Because a lot of purists are ignorant as hell. The funniest thing I’ve heard yet from them is that this remake is RE4 with a RE2 skin over it.

after watching most of the official footage available, it reminds me mostly of a cross between RE6 and the rebooted Tomb Raider. It's not like RE4 at all which is a lot less fluid ("clunky") and REmake2 is less surreal, so that comparison is pretty absurd,yeah.

CODEumb87 posted...
And then you have the purists recently who think the zombie groaning and walking sound effects (yes, walking sound effects) are superior in the original ‘98 version than in the 2019 remake.... let that sink in just to show how ridiculous they can be.

Iconic, nostalgic, maybe. Not superior. I mean, I'm one of those that is pretty hostile to Claire's changes and I had no problem with the OG game's score, but arguing in favor of what was state of the art (or just what they could get) THEN vs. what is start of the art NOW is kinda dumb when there's a clear quality difference like with sound effects or character modelling. This from a firm believer of games being "dated" as falsehood of generational bandwagonist railing.

Remember other stuff in the 90's that also used (poor sounding)MIDI synth orchestras and how they're not really around anymore? Every time I watch the (old) Ju-On series again that distinctive sound takes me back into the state of mind of experiencing such a 90's piece of media, but it has a distinct marker of lesser quality and it isn't around anymore for that very reason. It's particularly jarring to hear the difference between these synth orchestras and real instrumental scorings in the newer movies, so much so that seem to be parody or homages instead of genuine.

You cannot say games never become outdated but music does.
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: Oni Seraph

Oni Seraph
4 months ago#154
Sega9599 posted...
You cannot say games never become outdated but music does.

Certain sound capturing techniques it looks like. I will say that certain games are timeless(original Mario/Sonic games) and really don't have a lot they could do to improve at all. The problem with FC and classic resident evil is that they are not gameplay driven games when you get down to it and as such can be improved unlike mario or sonic. This is where I think most people have a difference of opinion. Classic RE fans see it as gameplay driven and want a continuation of that sort of game. Then most others and Capcom treat the old gameplay just as the medium to convey the game, which is being stuck in a zombie outbreak and fighting your way out.

While OTS isnt a gameplay evolution but a medium evolution. The gameplay may not become outdated but the medium is. There are simply better ways to convey the whole zombie outbreak which is what some are arguing when they say obsolete or outdated.
Oni Seraph: Be humble on your path.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself. Trust yourself, always.

User Info: edward18

edward18
4 months ago#155
Music-types do not become f***ing outdated. Honestly I had not heard of s*** like this (cartoons, movies, music, ANY type of entertainment) becoming "outdated" until the last five years pretty much, and that type of mentality is utterly destroying most of what I love.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai

User Info: Kindler

Kindler
4 months ago#156
penaferus posted...
For me, my major complaint about the game is that it looks weird using a flashlight through most of the game (from what we've seen). Making levels THAT dark kind of takes the personality out of it. I liked seeing the run-down, dilapidated buildings and corridors under dim lighting. That is far spookier to me than pitch darkness. Using a flashlight just muddles everything and saps the personality out of the game's world. RE2Remake looks nice, but it doesn't really pop in the way the old games did. I miss the dripping water, peeling wall paper, and cracked stone walls. Minor details when added together equals magic.

This is actually my biggest grievance. The flashlight (from what I've seen) is this bright white light that, in some ways, makes it harder to see. I've said it before, but I'd prefer a flashlight like the one in The Last of Us, which was softer, yellow light that lit up enough of the surroundings without making the objects that were within the light look bad or difficult to see. It's like using a Halogen to look at something on your desk, when a mini-Maglite would be better, if that makes sense to anyone else.

User Info: villanut32

villanut32
4 months ago#157
My biggest worry is that Resident Evil is now just another third person shooter and not the survival horror game it once was.

Part of why I loved Resi 1-3 was limited bullets and heal items meant death was around every corner, could I risk head shoting a zombie or would I need the ammo later?.
Should I use my last green herb, or wait and hope I find a red herb?.

This is what made Resident Evil and Silent Hill truly great.

User Info: Oni Seraph

Oni Seraph
4 months ago#158
villanut32 posted...
My biggest worry is that Resident Evil is now just another third person shooter and not the survival horror game it once was.

Part of why I loved Resi 1-3 was limited bullets and heal items meant death was around every corner, could I risk head shoting a zombie or would I need the ammo later?.

This is what made Resident Evil and Silent Hill truly great.

If you can watch all the gameplay so far and say that this game looks like it will be just another shooter, the game you want will never be made by Capcom.
Oni Seraph: Be humble on your path.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself. Trust yourself, always.

User Info: PyroBlonde

PyroBlonde
4 months ago#159
villanut32 posted...

This is just an illusion. There's no threat of running out of resources at all. I've checked it so many times. These are just cheap tactics of easy, boring and limited games of the past!

BTW! Revelations 1, Revelations 2 are the pinnacle of survival-horror. And these classic RE 1-3 are just 'survival-boring' genre in my book. And I'm so thankful to Capcom for this proper RE2 remake.

User Info: JMartin1983

JMartin1983
4 months ago#160
Kindler posted...
This is actually my biggest grievance. The flashlight (from what I've seen) is this bright white light that, in some ways, makes it harder to see. I've said it before, but I'd prefer a flashlight like the one in The Last of Us, which was softer, yellow light that lit up enough of the surroundings without making the objects that were within the light look bad or difficult to see. It's like using a Halogen to look at something on your desk, when a mini-Maglite would be better, if that makes sense to anyone else.

That's been one of my nitpicks regarding the game. The flashlight is basically a spotlight. There's no surrounding light, no natural illumination like a flashlight does. Light doesn't simply stop at where it's being shun. It bounces around the room and dimly lights a much larger area. I've never liked flashlights in games as they tend to be done poorly.

Maybe this will change with the final release but I doubt it. It's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance of mine but I think I understand what you're saying.
Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
-Vincent
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Why is there so much hate for fans of the "original" gameplay?
  • Topic Archived