• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Missed opportunity when it comes to gameplay...

User Info: AmandaValentine

AmandaValentine
3 months ago#1
I am stoked for this game! Not many days left... but...

There is one thing I have to brag about when it comes to the gameplay I have seen from this game so far. The Tyrant looks creepy how he stalks you around the Police Station and it will fuel the horror feeling for me when you investigate the building and he shows up to hunt you down at the worst times. Panic mode deluxe! But yeah, there is some missed opportunity when it comes to these segments. Every B.O.W in this game got their eyes on only you and this can become frustrating. I have seen moments where Claire is surrounded by one licker, three zombies and the big tyrant and it feels like an instant death in these situations. That's why a hiding mechanic would have been cool, like hiding in a wardrobe from the enemies. Or why not the fact that other monsters attacks the Tyrant so that he is being distracted from chasing you. I mean aren't B.O.W.s pretty much predators? Attacking anything in their way?

Nothing that will destroy the experience for me, I will probably love this game anyway. But unique gameplay mechanics like these would had been awesome! But I guess survival horror really is back with those stressful moments. That is horror anyway, to never feel safe in your surroundings. I love all those small details like blood splatters on the wall or the fact that the Tyrant is pushing away zombies that is in his way.

Maybe a upcoming RE3make will have some of these mechanics in the gameplay, plus Raccoon City being a hub world where Jill can run around in. (And she will run around a lot thanks to Nemesis) Other horror games like Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within 2 made this work without taking away from the scare factor.
No, I am not related to Jill, Ivy or Faye Valentine. But I love them!

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
3 months ago#2
I thinking hiding would make this game more like other horror games like Outlast, which I don’t want.

I can see this happening for RE3 though.
I'll never long for what might have been

User Info: ultimaweapon79

ultimaweapon79
3 months ago#3
I would have liked if the lickers or Tyrant attacked. The shove from the tyrant was kinda nice but I don't think a licker would be able to tell the difference from human and zombie if its going by sound and I think the tyrant would use more devastating force to get a zombie out of the way of him and his intended target.
PSN/GT: ultimaweapon79
I swear I think I'm the only one who liked every final fantasy

User Info: edward18

edward18
3 months ago#4
I like the way Darkside did it. T-103 just slams everything in front of him into the wall beside them with his fist.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai

User Info: Four_Archfiends

Four_Archfiends
3 months ago#5
I was gonna say maybe the Lickers and zombies in this new updated story could smell other T Virus based creatures so that's why they aren't hostile to one another. But then there was a room in the demo with a few dead zombie dogs that were killed by Lickers so they do indeed attack each other. My guess is they made it like this so players can't cheese certain rooms by letting Mr.X kill off the Lickers.
If you ain't a Fiend, you ain't Clean!

AmandaValentine
3 months ago#6
Crimson_Storm posted...
I thinking hiding would make this game more like other horror games like Outlast, which I don’t want.

I can see this happening for RE3 though.

Yes, as Nemesis is a threat you would probably hide from. His stalking moments are bigger than those of the Tyrant from RE2. That is true, it's good that Resident Evil is doing their own thing. But borrowing things from other games isn't a crime, I think it could work too. I loved the fact that I could hide in games like Alien and Outlast, it made the whole experience even more unnerving, especially when they found you at the spot hiding. So it did not always work.

ultimaweapon79 posted...
I would have liked if the lickers or Tyrant attacked. The shove from the tyrant was kinda nice but I don't think a licker would be able to tell the difference from human and zombie if its going by sound and I think the tyrant would use more devastating force to get a zombie out of the way of him and his intended target.

That's exactly what I thought, the Lickers are atleast reacting to sounds so attacking the Tyrant doesn't sound too far-fetched in this universe. And it do looks a bit silly to see the Tyrant shoving away zombies the way he does, but I guess Capcom didn't want him to kill the player's enemies. It just makes everything harder in the end.

edward18 posted...
I like the way Darkside did it. T-103 just slams everything in front of him into the wall beside them with his fist.

I remember that, it makes more sense that way! Isn't he suppose to be a brutal force for the players? So seeing him more aggressive would make more sense. But I do think that this Tyrant is a testplay for RE3make because Nemesis will surely be updated as heck since the old PS1-era.

Four_Archfiends posted...
I was gonna say maybe the Lickers and zombies in this new updated story could smell other T Virus based creatures so that's why they aren't hostile to one another. But then there was a room in the demo with a few dead zombie dogs that were killed by Lickers so they do indeed attack each other. My guess is they made it like this so players can't cheese certain rooms by letting Mr.X kill off the Lickers.

Well that do make sense. If Mr. X killed YOUR enemies then the challenge wouldn't be that difficult I guess. But I like your theory on the "smell" part, but I think this has more to do with gameplay than story the way B.O.W.s ignores each other.

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
3 months ago#7
Hiding was totally in Outbreak.
If you quickly hide in a locker before a zombie enters the room you're in, you can wait for the zombie to leave.
You can also hide under beds.

If you're bleeding, you can't hide from the Leech Man.
It will totally sniff you out and go straight to your hiding spot.
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

User Info: shinefist101

shinefist101
3 months ago#8
Hiding from enemies would mean the enemies would need to have a set search route. Enemies in this do not search about, they just hunt for you based on your proximity to them, most times, I think.

Hiding could be a cool feature if done in small segments.

I'm so glad there are no behind melee 1 hit kills. Also happy the knife has a degradation guage and there are multiples to find.

The problem with game mechanics is that they can seem cool at first, only to be abused by the player and make the AI look silly. But when done correctly games great.

I'm liking the decisions on re2.

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
3 months ago#9
shinefist101 posted...
Hiding from enemies would mean the enemies would need to have a set search route.

They did that with Hunters in Code: VERONICA but it's not as complex as the sentries in Metal Gear Solid.

There are some rooms where Hunters have a "patrol path".
The best example is the airport, where you have to retrieve the "proofs" as Chris.
In that room, a Hunter walks in circles and speedrunners normally avoid detection, pick up the proofs and exit.
The Hunter will only attack if it sees Chris.

If you are spotted, you can reset this by exiting the room and reenter.
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

AmandaValentine
3 months ago#10
Goldsickle posted...
Hiding was totally in Outbreak.
If you quickly hide in a locker before a zombie enters the room you're in, you can wait for the zombie to leave.
You can also hide under beds.

If you're bleeding, you can't hide from the Leech Man.
It will totally sniff you out and go straight to your hiding spot.

Sounds pretty cool actually. It's not like Capcom are strangers to this kind of gameplay mechanic then. Makes me wanna play those games, I'll do my best to get my hands on them. Everyone seems to adore the Outbreak titles.

shinefist101 posted...
Hiding from enemies would mean the enemies would need to have a set search route. Enemies in this do not search about, they just hunt for you based on your proximity to them, most times, I think.

Hiding could be a cool feature if done in small segments.

I'm so glad there are no behind melee 1 hit kills. Also happy the knife has a degradation guage and there are multiples to find.

The problem with game mechanics is that they can seem cool at first, only to be abused by the player and make the AI look silly. But when done correctly games great.

I'm liking the decisions on re2.

The Xenomorph in Alien: Isolation had an impressive search route and people complained about that creature's AI, but in reality, I just think people didn't have patient for that kind of enemy. I do think that Mr. X is similar in terms of stalking you, but not probably as detailed. It would be weird to have melees in this game as Claire and Leon are not as skilled as they are in later games. And the knives in this game reminds me of those in the Remake, which is a good thing. I also love the direction they are taking with this game, and we are soon there to play it... Yass!

Goldsickle posted...
They did that with Hunters in Code: VERONICA but it's not as complex as the sentries in Metal Gear Solid.

There are some rooms where Hunters have a "patrol path".
The best example is the airport, where you have to retrieve the "proofs" as Chris.
In that room, a Hunter walks in circles and speedrunners normally avoid detection, pick up the proofs and exit.
The Hunter will only attack if it sees Chris.

If you are spotted, you can reset this by exiting the room and reenter.

I didn't know this, Code Veronica seems to be the only game from this franchise that has this, next to Resident Evil 7 of course.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Missed opportunity when it comes to gameplay...
  • Topic Archived