• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Please explain RE2 to me?

User Info: Retro_Gamer_80s

Retro_Gamer_80s
1 month ago#1
I didn't become a fan of RE until RE4, the first one I played on Gamecube years back. I bought it again on 360, then again on PS4. RE5 was... ok. RE6 I actually liked, the setting/location any way. Revelations wasn't too bad, either. RE7 was first person as you know and I liked that even more than RE4. It was way scarier to me, I even beat the game via the VR version. I tried the RE1 original with the tank controls.. didn't like it. For its time I bet it was a hoot, but I didn't like it. Then there was RE on N64, which I didn't try back then but would if I saw it to buy in a retro game store today.

Anyway, with my background in the game aside... why does RE2 look like RE4 with over-the-shoulder aiming? Is this how it was with the original RE2 years back? Or is this something new they did with the game? If I like RE4, 6 and 7 would I like RE2? Will RE2 have co op online or just an a.i. tag-along character?
"Alright, Beef Burrito, I'll give you one more chance to take back what you said about my mom!" - Rigby

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
1 month ago#2
Around 2004, Shinji Mikami, Hiroyuki Kobayashi and some staff got tired of the old school style.
That's why newer RE titles aren't made like they used to.

The original RE2 did have an AI tag-along character but only for specific places.
One can help in battle, while the other is defenseless (depends on which main character you pick).

This game is mostly single player, where the main character is always alone.
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

User Info: fernantendo

fernantendo
1 month ago#3
Retro_Gamer_80s posted...
I didn't become a fan of RE until RE4, the first one I played on Gamecube years back. I bought it again on 360, then again on PS4. RE5 was... ok. RE6 I actually liked, the setting/location any way. Revelations wasn't too bad, either. RE7 was first person as you know and I liked that even more than RE4. It was way scarier to me, I even beat the game via the VR version. I tried the RE1 original with the tank controls.. didn't like it. For its time I bet it was a hoot, but I didn't like it. Then there was RE on N64, which I didn't try back then but would if I saw it to buy in a retro game store today.

Anyway, with my background in the game aside... why does RE2 look like RE4 with over-the-shoulder aiming? Is this how it was with the original RE2 years back? Or is this something new they did with the game? If I like RE4, 6 and 7 would I like RE2? Will RE2 have co op online or just an a.i. tag-along character?

It looks like RE4 (and 5 and 6) because that's what it looks like, when you do over-the-shoulder perspective.

No, it wasn't like that for original RE2. The original used fixed camera angles and tank controls, like RE1. So yes, this is something new. This is a remake of RE2, not just a remaster with a new coat of paint.

If you liked RE4, 5, and 6, yes, you will likely enjoy this RE2. Based on information we received from Capcom, it looks like it has no online modes. It seems it has no co-op in anyway either.

There may be an A.I. tag-along for certain sections of the game. Think RE4.
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us
(message deleted)

User Info: mouser066

mouser066
1 month ago#5
Retro_Gamer_80s posted...
I tried the RE1 original with the tank controls.. didn't like it. For its time I bet it was a hoot, but I didn't like it. Then there was RE on N64, which I didn't try back then but would if I saw it to buy in a retro game store today.

If you didn't like RE1, you probably won't like the original RE2.

Most fans who started with RE4 cant adapt to the original survivor-horror games.

I would at least go half-way through the RE1 remake on PS4 before giving up on the old style though, it's a very refined game.

User Info: Morpheus102686

Morpheus102686
1 month ago#6
Despite the OTS, this remade RE2 is a survival horror and not an action game like RE4. In 4, you could kill absolutely everything with the constant ammo drops and the OP melee roundhouse kick. If you liked the feeling of empowerment by killing every enemy easily, you may not like this game. Resource management and avoiding encounters often will be crucial and there are no ammo drops.
New York Yankees

User Info: edward18

edward18
1 month ago#7
How do you not know about 2? It was like the biggest game in the series until 4 came out.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai

User Info: PyroBlondie3

PyroBlondie3
1 month ago#8
edward18 posted...
How do you not know about 2? It was like the biggest game in the series until 4 came out.

lol Nobody even heard about Resident Evil before the movies came out.

User Info: Spiritlittle

Spiritlittle
1 month ago#9
PyroBlondie3 posted...
edward18 posted...

Yeah, that's definitely not true. The original game was groundbreaking.
Official Raven of the Injustice 2 boards
Official Jill Valentine of the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite boards

User Info: PyroBlondie3

PyroBlondie3
1 month ago#10
Spiritlittle posted...
PyroBlondie3 posted...
edward18 posted...

Yeah, that's definitely not true. The original game was groundbreaking.

Uh-huh. Even gaming as a whole in 1996 was a niche nerd thing.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Please explain RE2 to me?
  • Topic Archived