You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. What kind of Remake do you prefer?
Many of gamings best classics have been remade for modern consoles, so that old and new fans alike can experience an older game with new graphics and mechanics. Sometimes things changes too much and how do fans cope with that fact? Let me give you an example:

The first Resident Evil and Tomb Raider got remade for newer platforms and while they looked better than their previous originals, they still managed to keep alot intact. Jill and Chris’s outfits were the same, just as Lara Croft wore her iconic outfit in Anniversary. While some story elements were changed it was still the same story told with better tools. (I mean, Resident Evil was benefiting from better voice acting this time around) Things were changed but it wasn’t drastical.

Then we have Resident Evil 2 Remake which is a gamechanger in terms of design, gameplay, graphics and nostalgia. Compared to the first two titles, Claire and Leon got new outfits, many story points were changed, gameplay were hugely changed and many new elements were introduced.

For me, Remake 2 wins for originality as it does something new and fresh with an old experience to make it really look like a up-to-date game. Let’s ask ourselves, why would Jill and Chris wear different cop costumes when they work for the same station? Why would Lara dress like that in a snow environment? Things changes, what was goofy years ago don’t work today. While Anniversary and REmake are my two favorite games of all time, change can sometimes be good for an IP.

A consistent remake or a new reimagining? What do you cute boys and gals prefer?
No, I am not related to Jill, Ivy or Faye Valentine. But I love them!
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
1 week ago#2
A little of both, but I would really enjoy consistency.
I'll never long for what might have been

User Info: edward18

edward18
1 week ago#3
How the original one was done. Or how Crash Bandicoot was done. Or how Monkey Island was done.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
1 week ago#4
There's no "correct" nor "one true way" to develop a remake.
There are many examples of a remake.

- Evolution 1 & 2 for the Dreamcast were joined together as one game in a remake released for the GameCube.

- The Myst remake went from prerendered background point-and-click to full first-person view movement, so players can move around freely (although the option to play fully point-and-click is still there).

- Lufia II was originally a turn-based RPG but switched into an action RPG for its remake. Final Fantasy VII seems to be following the same example.

- The Ys series has a lot of ports and remakes. One example is where Ys III was remade from a side-scrolling game to full 3D environments.

- When Defender Of The Crown was remade, you play as Robin Hood instead of various Saxon characters like in the original. Robin Hood was simply a support character back then.

The RE1 remake isn't the only way remakes can be developed.
It's closed-minded to think so.

I like a remake to keep up with the times.
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

User Info: Syn_Vengeance

Syn_Vengeance
1 week ago#5
I don’t have a preference and think both are great. REmake stayed way closer to the original game because it was Mikamis true vision for the game and meant to replace the original in canon. The RE2 remake is not meant to be treated the same as the first remake. Capcom already said that it’s meant to be played side by side with the original and was not made to replace it. Which is why liberties are being taken with character designs, story elements and so on.
When your name is finally drawn, I'll be happy that you're gone. Ash to Ashes, Dust to Dust.

User Info: AmandaValentine

AmandaValentine
1 week ago#6
Crimson_Storm posted...
A little of both, but I would really enjoy consistency.

Well same here, as long as everything’s great, why change something? Although the classic being a masterpiece gem, over-the-shoulder is a welcome change if you ask me.

edward18 posted...
How the original one was done. Or how Crash Bandicoot was done. Or how Monkey Island was done.

I haven’t played Monkey Island but Crash Bandicoot was... mediocre. The controls were utterly bad compared to recent Mario games so I couldn’t enjoy it. While only the graphics felt a thousand times better it was still the bad trilogy and its unfair level design. Okay fine, only the third game is somewhat good. This is where I feel like stuff could had been improved with a remake.

Goldsickle posted...
There's no "correct" nor "one true way" to develop a remake.
There are many examples of a remake.

- Evolution 1 & 2 for the Dreamcast were joined together as one game in a remake released for the GameCube.

- The Myst remake went from prerendered background point-and-click to full first-person view movement, so players can move around freely (although the option to play fully point-and-click is still there).

- Lufia II was originally a turn-based RPG but switched into an action RPG for its remake. Final Fantasy VII seems to be following the same example.

- The Ys series has a lot of ports and remakes. One example is where Ys III was remade from a side-scrolling game to full 3D environments.

- When Defender Of The Crown was remade, you play as Robin Hood instead of various Saxon characters like in the original. Robin Hood was simply a support character back then.

The RE1 remake isn't the only way remakes can be developed.
It's closed-minded to think so.

I like a remake to keep up with the times.

Nice examples hun! Same here! And it looks like REmake 2 will follow that duty. I am more scared with FF7 Remake as it seems to remove alot of elements which made the original so great in the first place. A RPG without RPG? Get out!

Syn_Vengeance posted...
I don’t have a preference and think both are great. REmake stayed way closer to the original game because it was Mikamis true vision for the game and meant to replace the original in canon. The RE2 remake is not meant to be treated the same as the first remake. Capcom already said that it’s meant to be played side by side with the original and was not made to replace it. Which is why liberties are being taken with character designs, story elements and so on.

Okay I see, that is some truly interesting information you got there. I think that’s great! You can choose your own canon if that’s the case.
No, I am not related to Jill, Ivy or Faye Valentine. But I love them!

edward18
1 week ago#7
I haven’t played Monkey Island but Crash Bandicoot was... mediocre. The controls were utterly bad

Well the jump wasn't as good as the original but that's about it.

compared to recent Mario games so I couldn’t enjoy it.

Wait what? Mario's an entirely different game. Why would it play like those to begin with? Also, it's a remake. The remake plays like the original. Why would you expect any different?

While only the graphics felt a thousand times better it was still the bad trilogy and its unfair level design.

The bad trilogy?

Crash is like one of the golden titles of platforming.

Okay fine, only the third game is somewhat good. This is where I feel like stuff could had been improved with a remake.

Why would you try to improve it?

And 1 most certainly had things from the later games put into it in the remake to make it more playable than it was.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
One where I feel like the developers had at least some idea of what made the original great. REmake 2 and FFVII remake definitely have that problem; they're getting by on just the basic premise of the game and having the characters. Everything else is a different game and atmosphere that could've been its own original game, but the title brings easy money.

Flashback also had an awful remake by a team of goons that just wanted to do their own thing with a popular title.

Shadowrun on 360 also took a nose dive when they brought it back as just another FPS game.

Disc Jam was definitely developed by bums who played Windjammers for about 15 minutes.

Does Silent Hill Shattered Memories count? That was disappointing as hell.
"This is what makes a legend!" - Terry, KoF '99
RE Outbreak/PSN: Stick_Breitling; Metal Gear Online: Gabe LOGAN

User Info: Pyr0Blondie

Pyr0Blondie
1 week ago#9
Darkside_Hazuki posted...
Does Silent Hill Shattered Memories count? That was disappointing as hell.

That wasn't a remake 'genius', and stop whining and enjoy the new superior version of RE2 like everyone else.

edward18
1 week ago#10
No that probably doesn't count as it literally is a new game with a new story that's just using the original as essentially backstory. You just don't realize it until the end.

...pissed that you don't get to fight The Incubus or anything though.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. What kind of Remake do you prefer?