• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. I didn't like RE2. Why is it your favorite?

User Info: jdclanc11

jdclanc11
3 months ago#1
Not hating because I do love love love the RE series, but RE2 didn't work for me.

Two major caveats:
1. Just beat it today, so maybe playing 20 years after release isn't fair
2. Only beat Leon A, so maybe I'll like it after playing the other scenarios.

The story didn't work for me. I was fine with RE1 not having much story because that's preferable to a bad story. The puzzles involving medals, chess pieces, etc seemed very weird for a police station/sewer system. RE1 was less silly because I expect eccentricities in a creepy old mansion.
War. War never changes.

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
3 months ago#2
Play Claire A and Leon B. That’s the official RE2 story. The police station used to be a museum, so I hope that clears some things up about the puzzles.

User Info: DigitalMorph

DigitalMorph
3 months ago#3
jdclanc11 posted...
Not hating because I do love love love the RE series, but RE2 didn't work for me.

Two major caveats:
2. Only beat Leon A, so maybe I'll like it after playing the other scenarios.

The story didn't work for me. I was fine with RE1 not having much story because that's preferable to a bad story. The puzzles involving medals, chess pieces, etc seemed very weird for a police station/sewer system. RE1 was less silly because I expect eccentricities in a creepy old mansion.

All RE games have those ridiculous puzzles that don’t make any logical sense, so I don’t hold that against any of them. I love the story of the original trilogy...citywide zombie outbreak. They start doing too much later on in the series. Aside from the nonsensical puzzles, what did you hate so much about the story?
The Disco Biscuits are the best band ever

User Info: finalmissi0n

finalmissi0n
3 months ago#4
jdclanc11 posted...
Two major caveats:

All honesty, that's probably the main issue right there. The game was something else back in '98, but as far as story-driven or cinematic-type games go, games of that era by and large just don't hold up so well nowadays. I still think it's a fun game, but this remake is necessary for re-telling the story for a modern audience.

User Info: Cloudking15

Cloudking15
3 months ago#5
The main reason its my favorite is the plethora of boss fights and the scenario system. I loved how many story variations there were, so it had a lot of replay value for me.

User Info: Praise_the_Sun_

Praise_the_Sun_
3 months ago#6
The scenario system.

The zapping system.

Two separate characters to play through the game with.

City wide zombie outbreak.

All of these things where amazing in 1998 when the game came out.

At the time the graphics where amazing, the sound was amazing.

All of this is lost if you’ve only just played it now in 2018.
Twitch stream: x_darth_caedus_x, come watch me play the stuffs on ps4, Xbox one, and PC.

User Info: MauroMartel

MauroMartel
3 months ago#7
Well, if you play a 20 year old game and compare it to today's standards it will most likely fall short. However, RE2 is stil fun. And I agree with you. The Leon A/Claire B scenario isn't that great. I prefer a lot the other scenario Claire A/Leon B (aka clear the game first with Claire). The story is better there, and is the canon one.

As for what do I find fun in RE2... I always found the combat intense. Also I liked the linked scenarios and unlockable minigames. I Hope they keep those in the remake, especially "Extreme Battle".
Honor above everything.

User Info: FranciscoGamer9

FranciscoGamer9
3 months ago#8
In 1998, what was more impressive from a graphical standpoint....RE2 or Metal Gear Solid 1??

Curious what people think
No thanks Bro!

User Info: Mr_M0j0_Rising

Mr_M0j0_Rising
3 months ago#9
FranciscoGamer9 posted...
In 1998, what was more impressive from a graphical standpoint....RE2 or Metal Gear Solid 1??

MGS is way more technically impressive because it was entirely 3D, and the art design was amazing as was every single facet about the game. Characters, story, writing, music. That game was way ahead of its time. Too bad Kojima lost his charm after Snake Eater.
PSN: o-MrMojoRisin-o
Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep and you weep alone

User Info: Praise_the_Sun_

Praise_the_Sun_
3 months ago#10
Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
FranciscoGamer9 posted...

MGS is way more technically impressive because it was entirely 3D, and the art design was amazing as was every single facet about the game. Characters, story, writing, music. That game was way ahead of its time. Too bad Kojima lost his charm after Snake Eater.

This is 100% true.

Of all the games I owned and rented in the PS1 era MGS1 was the most cinematic, the most technically impressive game on the market.

The voice acting is still great even by today’s standards, the entire game was impressively rendered, the gameplay was amazing, the enemy AI was advanced for its time, the draw distances on a ps1 are crazy.

I’m playing tenchu 2 on ps1 right now, another stealth action game and while great it feels like a B movie compared to mgs1 and it came out 2 years after that game. The enemy’s are dumb as rocks and don’t chase you if you step around a corner, the game is plagued by total void for anything more than 20 feet ahead of you, and the voice acting is god awful, at least the early RE games put effort into the acting.

IMO mgs1 will always be the greatest technical achievement on the ps1.
Twitch stream: x_darth_caedus_x, come watch me play the stuffs on ps4, Xbox one, and PC.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. I didn't like RE2. Why is it your favorite?
  • Topic Archived