• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. what exactly makes re2 better than re 3?

User Info: Rizeroth

Rizeroth
9 months ago#11
Syn_Vengeance posted...
RE3 is a great game but felt like a disappointment coming off of RE2. Both games were the same price and RE3 had less then half the content of RE2. I also prefer 2’s story to 3’s, plus I enjoyed The 4th Survivor and Extreme Battle Mode more then Mercenaries. I also prefer the silent overbearing Mr. X to Nemesis, Nemesis is still great though.

I was wondering what word i was missing. Content. I used replayability instead. My brain is starting to shut down.
Zelda is a freaking NINJA!!

User Info: Omnithomas

Omnithomas
9 months ago#12
I like 2 better but know 3 to be objectively superior.
"I am one of the supervisors, thats all you need to know."

User Info: Fire_Emblem_

Fire_Emblem_
9 months ago#13
DominiqueT posted...
Rizeroth posted...
Well for me RE2 is better than 3 because of the replayability and the story being more fleshed out in terms of the deeper RE lore into Umbrella's working and what caused the Raccoon City incident, while RE3 felt oddly less appealing in terms of story scope but 3's villain was awesome and the game's own scope was big.

Also RE2 had more memorable characters, many of whom go on to be RE icons like Leon, Claire, Ada, Sherry. This was simillar to RE1 which had Chris, Jill, Barry, Rabecca and Wesker. RE3 only had Jill who was a returning character.

It doesnt get more memorable than

Nocholai
Mikael
Carlos
Nemesis
Um.. all of those are forgettable except Nemesis.

Re2 characters are far more Iconic.
Ike is the best Fire Emblem character! Path of Radiance is the best Fire Emblem!

User Info: Lone_Wolf80

Lone_Wolf80
9 months ago#14
Syn_Vengeance posted...
RE3 is a great game but felt like a disappointment coming off of RE2. Both games were the same price and RE3 had less then half the content of RE2. I also prefer 2’s story to 3’s, plus I enjoyed The 4th Survivor and Extreme Battle Mode more then Mercenaries. I also prefer the silent overbearing Mr. X to Nemesis, Nemesis is still great though. RE2 also went deeper into the lore with Umbrella then RE3 did, showing how the outbreak started and so on.

It felt like that because it wasn't originally intended to be a fully fledged 3rd game, but a side adventure.

I prefer RE3 because of the choices you can make. Rudimentary by today's standards yes, but really neat back in 1999.

Also Nemesis over Mr. X. At least Nemesis doesn't suicide himself.
#Enough

User Info: Fire_Emblem_

Fire_Emblem_
9 months ago#15
Honestly, there wasn't much to Re3. The game felt short in comparison to Re2 and Nemesis was a huge let down in the end. The mercenaries was decent but 4th survivor and extreme battle mode are better.
Ike is the best Fire Emblem character! Path of Radiance is the best Fire Emblem!

User Info: Syn_Vengeance

Syn_Vengeance
9 months ago#16
Lone_Wolf80 posted...
Syn_Vengeance posted...
RE3 is a great game but felt like a disappointment coming off of RE2. Both games were the same price and RE3 had less then half the content of RE2. I also prefer 2’s story to 3’s, plus I enjoyed The 4th Survivor and Extreme Battle Mode more then Mercenaries. I also prefer the silent overbearing Mr. X to Nemesis, Nemesis is still great though. RE2 also went deeper into the lore with Umbrella then RE3 did, showing how the outbreak started and so on.

It felt like that because it wasn't originally intended to be a fully fledged 3rd game, but a side adventure.

I prefer RE3 because of the choices you can make. Rudimentary by today's standards yes, but really neat back in 1999.

I get that but at the time nobody was privy to that knowledge. So when 3 was announced as a sequel to 2 and had so much less content for the same price, I was disappointed.

You can prefer Nemesis if you want to and that’s fine. I prefer Mr. X cause he was silent, overbearing, moved slow and could take a beating. Nemesis announcing he was there and running around with a rocket launcher made me not like him as much.

Also, did we play the same RE2 cause Mr. X did not “suicide” himself. He got shot repeatedly in the face by Ada and fell into the lava pit. He didn’t just decide to turn and jump over the rail for no reason.
"Death reveals to man what he really is."

User Info: WizardofHoth

WizardofHoth
9 months ago#17
I don't think either RE 2 or RE Nemesis are better than the other.

Back then Resident Evil 2 was hyped up right because.

Sequel
New characters
More action type story while still having "zombies" and T/G virus enemies
Plus the atmosphere vibe in the game while you're playing

User Info: Lone_Wolf80

Lone_Wolf80
9 months ago#18
Syn_Vengeance posted...
Lone_Wolf80 posted...
Syn_Vengeance posted...

I get that but at the time nobody was privy to that knowledge. So when 3 was announced as a sequel to 2 and had so much less content for the same price, I was disappointed.

You can prefer Nemesis if you want to and that’s fine. I prefer Mr. X cause he was silent, overbearing, moved slow and could take a beating. Nemesis announcing he was there and running around with a rocket launcher made me not like him as much.

Also, did we play the same RE2 cause Mr. X did not “suicide” himself. He got shot repeatedly in the face by Ada and fell into the lava pit. He didn’t just decide to turn and jump over the rail for no reason.

Oh, I know. I felt the same way at the time, but was able to overlook it because of the other things. Also, not a fan of Leon or Ada, so it was really just the Claire show.

I could've sworn in one of Claire's playthroughs she throws Sherry's locket into the molten metal and Mr. X just.....suicides after it.

Unless I'm misremembering it, which is possible.

Edit: didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you in the first post, just pointing out the details we'd all learn later on.
#Enough

User Info: angelwkw3

angelwkw3
9 months ago#19
Because nothing happens in RE3 that's relevant to the story other than finding out Jill makes it out of the city. 2 is better as it introduces new characters and new plots and overall more gameplay.
LoL ID = Crosisx2/The Durger/Angelwkw3/Cakeisdirty

User Info: Hunting_Swan

Hunting_Swan
9 months ago#20
I've always liked Re3 more than Re2 but it's wildly dictated by personal preference.

I much prefer having one protagonist with a hugely customisable playstyle and a huge arsenal of weapons to two completely different but statistically identical characters with fairly rigid load outs.

I also prefer the atmosphere of walking through the desolate streets, really taking in the scale of the carnage of Raccoon. the environments in general are a little better in Nemesis now that I think about it, the park the clock tower and the dead factory are absolutely incredible. And I prefer the simple but effective storyline of a small group of survivors fighting tooth and nail to get out of the city, and the one on one death match with Nemesis. There's also the way that rotating puzzle solutions, item placement and enemy line ups, in addition to deciding how many Nemesis fights you wish to complete to adapt the difficulty a little, and alternate live action choices, can keep the game fresh on replays.

But equally I can see why people might prefer the more plot heavy nature of RE2. There's a fair bit going on in that game, and while it does result in pacing troubles on replay because of huge chunks of cutscenes, the story is great and mostly well executed. I'd also say that RE2 probably has the stronger OST of the two. And as much as I love Nemesis and Gravedigger, the fact that there's no other bosses in that game does hurt it a little, though it's standard mook line up is a little stronger than RE2's imo, but for bosses RE2 has the edge on sheer boss diversity. I guess also RE2 has a lot more content technically speaking, but I like Battle game and the survivor scenarios just as much as I like RE3 Mercs.

Fundamentally it comes down to what you want out of a game, because for very visually similar games they offer wildly different things. But while I can easily see the appeal for a lot of people in RE2, and equally understand why they might prefer it, Nemesis will always have my preference.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. what exactly makes re2 better than re 3?
  • Topic Archived