DQ vs. FF

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Keith729

Keith729
1 week ago#1
Which series has aged better?

Two of the original JRPG’s, two of the best JRPG series. They went very different directions over the years. Which has aged better?

User Info: VisselJRPG

VisselJRPG
1 week ago#2
Both in their collect market
Square Enix uses DQ for the Japanese Market and uses FF for the Western Market.

User Info: omgseal

omgseal
1 week ago#3
i can still go back and enjoy the first 3 dragon quests. i cant say the same for final fantasy. that said, while i love dq more, it never hit those 'moments' for me that ff did sometimes. those moments in 7-10 when i played them for the fist time. they were something special. and i still maintain dq is and always was more fun to play. that opening ff 8. squalls arc. the ending of 8. that characters death in 7. the excellent character of midgar. atomos' attack. 10s ending. these things were something special and dq never had things like this. i think because dq never has these wow moments they tend to not stick out in gamers and reviewers minds even if they are great. which is sad. i dont think they need them, for the record. but 11 did have one for me in the lonalulu arc. thats when this game because more favored for me over dq 8.
that said i choose dq easy
"Dost thou love me? But thou must!"
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: NicoGrimm

NicoGrimm
1 week ago#4
Final Fantasy has higher highs, but also significantly lower lows. While DQ stayed consistent throughout. SOme games are still better than others, sure, but it never reaches the stark differences between some of the Final Fantasy games.

I think I prefer FF more overall because of some of the aforementioned "highs". But, FF hasn't been "great" in long time imo.
How dare the Gods work against me! I don't remember giving them permission.

User Info: Karnage4208238

Karnage4208238
1 week ago#5
imo DQ without a doubt since for me there has yet to be a bad DQ game and FF has this weird pattern of putting out a good to amazing game then putting out a couple to a few meh/total **** games DQ has stuck true to its roots unlike FF and imo its all the better for it even the one time they tried to change it up a bit (IX) it still turned out to be a good game
Cletus Kasady/Carnage Is The Greatest Villain Of All Time
S'up Im Karnage The Ultimate Cheater I Love to Cheat If You Don't Like It It's Your Problem Not Mine

User Info: Woex

Woex
1 week ago#6
FF in its current state is s***...
13-2, lightning returns and 15 are crap.

I liked 13 though, even when most people Say it's s*** because it was corridors, I didn't mind that, I enjoyed the story.

I don't really like open world games

User Info: TowerBooks3192

TowerBooks3192
1 week ago#7
FF feels like a chore while DQ feels like a blast to play despite being "archaic" compared to FF. FF has an identity crisis while DQ has always been DQ no matter what DQ you pick. References and easter eggs in DQ games fit like a glove while it feels so out of place in FF games. DQ stories are pretty straightforward without needing to be unnecessarily complex.

I really tried to play and like FF but I just couldn't while I really love DQ so much. Heck I can't even get in to Chrono Trigger because it feels more FF than DQ.

This is solely my opinion and not to say that FF is bad. I guess its just not my cup of tea. Though Zodiac Age coming to Switch might make me reconsider since I shelved the ps4 version since I prefer handheld.

User Info: Maiagare

Maiagare
1 week ago#8
Aged better? DQ, no question. FF has been questionable since 10 (though I personally really like both 10 and 12) and pure s*** since 13.
What a superb demon!
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: itis41269

itis41269
1 week ago#9
They’re both Grumpy old Bastards
"Destiny by sinner sought , Tragedy by power wrought "-M'booby
PSN:whatitis4u/friend code:0834-1025-1958/GT:XwhatitisX
Woex posted...
FF in its current state is s***...
13-2, lightning returns and 15 are crap.

I liked 13 though, even when most people Say it's s*** because it was corridors, I didn't mind that, I enjoyed the story.

I don't really like open world games

Hey I agree with you! I also liked the original 13. Hell, even 15 was more bearable than 13-2 or 13-3, like wtf LMAO

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.