Why does the fusion category seem abysmal?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle
  3. Why does the fusion category seem abysmal?

User Info: MelloXIII

MelloXIII
6 days ago#1
Like compared to the Potara units. Seems really lackluster in comparison. Got the goku/Vegeta off the free stones so I can't complain but still.
Official Manchester Black of The Injustice 2 Boards
Aspiring do-gooder nd all-around pain in the ass at your service.

User Info: YaBoyVegeta

YaBoyVegeta
6 days ago#2
Not that much variety when compared to potara
Thanks, I needed a light- Sanji
It's a different team, with a different purpose.

If the potara team is the tank, fusions is definitely dps. Hit hard, but kinda frail. Additionally, most of the utility in a fusions team is concentrated in 4 units (lr gogeta, neotenks, ssj4 gogeta, int gogeta), with the others being kinda filler (especially with newer events rendering sealtenks far less useful). Potara, by comparison, is a bit more evenly distributed.

Granted, lr trunks can offset these problems a bit, but in turn poses a few new ones. First, theres the issue of actually pulling the bastard. The other problem is a bit more major: his type.

The team suffers a bit in the type department. With 3-4 optimal units all in the phy type, they're gonna struggle against harder hitting str enemies. Now, lr gogeta can help with that with his heal, and if you finish the fight quickly enough it doesnt matter, but it is worth noting.

All that said, once vegetto transforms, all advantages fusions had on potara disappear. His counter completely outshines the little bit harder gogeta hits. Only downside is that it's much harder to trigger vegetto's fusion than gogeta's. That said... is that even really a downside?

Anyway, this is all just my opinion, after using both. Both are OP as hell, but potara's unshakeable dominance in every fight is just so satisfying.

Now, once sbr comes around, it's another story; the type issue fusions has immediately turns to its advantage.
There's somethin' strange on the message board.
Who you gonna call?
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Zinle_san

Zinle_san
6 days ago#4
Well, simply put; because it really is.

Most options for the Fusion category have been limited units meaning it's unlikely many have 'em and while the actual selection of units is actually quite large it doesn't help that a ton of them are ssj Gotenk's or Gogetas.
Sure, it's not like Potara doesn't have a shortage of different Vegitos either, but Vegito has enough forms that the team will still have a nice selection of variation and it also helps that pretty much all Vegito cards are among the top tier in the game.
And sure, same can be said about the core Fusions, Gogeta, ssj4 Gogeta ssj3 Gotenks and ssj Gotenks, but again it comes down to "leftover units" so to speak. Fusion has more limited time units or f2p units, while Potara has Rosé, Black, Zamasu, etc.

For comparison:
My Fusion selection; https://i.imgur.com/4jvUBAw.jpg
My Potara selection: https://i.imgur.com/ZA2ZGfA.jpg

And last but not least, LR Gogeta is also the only LR among the Fusion category where as Potara has a total of three which, one of them even being free.
PSN: TheZinle ------- 3DS: 4398-9791-1950
--- I'm here to ruin your day - sir, yes sir!! ---

User Info: hyjinx17

hyjinx17
6 days ago#5
Well if you have optimal it's not abysmal at all, but the difference between optimal and not is big. Though Gogeta makes that a lot less of an issue because running Phy units on an LR Gogeta lead team is a lot less bad then running teq units on a SS4 Gogeta team.
Thanks for saving fighting games Goku!

User Info: MelloXIII

MelloXIII
6 days ago#6
The way I see it my ultimate team with fusion lead is
LR Gogeta
PHY SSJ Gotenks
PHY KALE
PHY Vegito Blue
STR Gogeta
Then either PHY BROLY/PHY SSJ3 BROLY/PHY FRIEZA
Official Manchester Black of The Injustice 2 Boards
Aspiring do-gooder nd all-around pain in the ass at your service.

User Info: Vikilla4V

Vikilla4V
6 days ago#7
it isn't abysmal, it's one of the top teams in the game
Lakers

User Info: ThePrinceFish

ThePrinceFish
6 days ago#8
I've been pretty disappointed in Fusions since I pulled SSJ4 Gogeta on the Gogeta banner. It feels WAY more fragile than my other category teams. Perhaps if I had INT Gogeta lowering enemy ATK it would be a little better, but the lack of any real tanks on the team (other than LR Gogeta, who I only have as a friend) makes me think I'd be worried to tackle a more difficult dokkan event with this team when I could use nearly any other category and not have to worry about getting slammed.

I have to run:
TEQ SSJ4 Gogeta (no dupe)
STR Gogeta (rainbow)
PHY SSJ3 Gotenks (no dupe) or TEQ SSJ3 Gotenks (2 dupe)
STR Gotenks (1 dupe)
PHY SSJ Gotenks (no dupe)
INT Pandel (1 dupe)
Friend: PHY LR Gogeta

I realize I don't have the tip top units of the category, but I can't imagine it would feel that much safer unless I had my own LR Gogeta. In fact it reminds me of the meta when SSJ4 Vegeta and Goku released. Sure Super STR brought the hammer, but I felt infinitely safer using Super AGL.
Dielman on Rivers: "I've tried to get him to say s--- or f--- and all he'll ever do is say, 'Golly gee, I can't do that."

User Info: styrofoamboot

styrofoamboot
6 days ago#9
Its definitely a team that needs its top tier units to shine, but if you have them all it’s in the running for best team in the game, depending on your definition of “best”. To me it is my best team, and possibly the very best possible team because it’s tanky enough with INT Gogeta lowering attack, SS4 Gogeta countering supers, and LR Gogetas outright tanking, and the big one... they clear everything so fast.

Looking at your setup I see why you’re underwhelmed. Potara has the benefit of having plenty of other great units to choose from even if you lack the very top units for the category. All the VBs are great, AGL SV is still awesome where STR Gogeta isn’t amazing anymore, Goku Black, Merged Zamasu... Plenty more but you get the idea.
Dokkan battle IDs
GLB: 2160831410 JP: 3112098988

User Info: Srk700

Srk700
6 days ago#10
MelloXIII posted...
The way I see it my ultimate team with fusion lead is
LR Gogeta
PHY SSJ Gotenks
PHY KALE
PHY Vegito Blue
STR Gogeta
Then either PHY BROLY/PHY SSJ3 BROLY/PHY FRIEZA

It seems bad because you're missing 2 important cards: SSJ4 Gogeta and PHY SSJ3 Gotenks (the TEQ version can fill in for him, even more so now that LR Gogeta is a key part that can prevent him from reaching 12 ki, but he's still inferior to the PHY version since you won't always be able to avoid getting 12 ki with him). The STR Gogeta is also a downgrade from the INT version.

As others have said even the all of the core units they aren't a particularly strong defensive team outside of the LR and SSJ4 Gogeta (Barlot is also a good defensive option). It's a team focused on offense, and if you're missing 1 or more of the vote cards your offense is going to take a big hit.
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle
  3. Why does the fusion category seem abysmal?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.