• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
  3. What is going on? (minor early spoilers)

User Info: FantasiaJD09

FantasiaJD09
1 year ago#1
I played both 999 and VLR and enjoyed them both. This one... not so sure so far.

I'm early still. Went through each of the three teams and made each of their choices for which team to vote for. Team D got two votes.

Now the game just gives me something like 12 different fragments to choose from, 4 for each team (or so, not exact). Why? How are they connected? Which one should I choose? I picked one and it was just one of the teams randomly stuck in an escape room (I was worried that the game was entirely a graphic novel, the opening story bits lasted so long). No explanation of how they got there, anything that had happened before or anything.

Is the game supposed to be like this? I get that the theme of these games is jumping in time, but this seems really extreme. I have a dozen choices with no apparent structure between them (I assume there will be explanation later). It's really turning me off.

User Info: ZeroEscape3

ZeroEscape3
1 year ago#2
Yes, this is how the game is supposed to go. This game has a lot of flaws.

Don't expect a lot out of this game. While it does have its good points, ZTD is generally regarded as the worst in the Zero Escape trilogy by far.

Sometimes you have to just pretend it's bad on purpose, like one of those so-bad-it's-good movies, or a parody of previous games.

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
1 year ago#3
Wow, you had to be a downer and a jerk for that?
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

ZeroEscape3
1 year ago#4
Clearly they already have a poor first impression of the game. I'd rather not raise their expectations. While there's a good amount that worked (mostly the tension and the emotional death scenes), there's a lot that wasn't convincing.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to give them warning.
Posted using GameFlux

User Info: Flochaos

Flochaos
1 year ago#5
You might have missed that, but Zero told the participants that the watches contain a liquid that erases the memory of the 90 last minutes. So from the point of the vote, everytime the characters wake up, they can only remember up to the vote. A part of the fun of the game will be to understand when they are and what was the fate of the others (after you get one end of a portion, it's placed in the general flowchart like in ZTD).

Hope you can at least give it a shot, yes it is a radical change from the later games, and had troubles to the point it was supposed to not be made... But there are really clever twists like in the previous games.

User Info: dragon0085

dragon0085
1 year ago#6
It sucks early honestly. But power through and you will see why it was done this way. Not as good as vlr, but about the same as 999
Let's go

ZeroEscape3
1 year ago#7
ZeroEscape3 posted...
Yes, this is how the game is supposed to go. This game has a lot of flaws.

Don't expect a lot out of this game. While it does have its good points, ZTD is generally regarded as the worst in the Zero Escape trilogy by far.

Sometimes you have to just pretend it's bad on purpose, like one of those so-bad-it's-good movies, or a parody of previous games.

I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, but honestly, what the OP talks about is a perfect example of the major gripe I have with ZTD. Everything is so disconnected.

Dividing the timeline into fragments and scrambling them, as the OP mentioned, just makes everything feel super disjointed. There are some connections, yes, but it probably would be a lot easier to follow if they showed where the fragments go on the flowchart before you pick them. Maybe it was just the order I played the fragments, but even the ones in the same timeline didn't feel very connected. (I think I pretty much played as much as I could in one team before switching to another, saving C team for last because why did they make Junpei emo and Akane a dainty flower... smh)

The shapes of the rooms are so weird you don't even get a good sense of what each ward looks like. If they had kept the blinking-dot map overlay, maybe it would have been a little easier to get a sense of the facility.

And the characters all met each other at DCOM, but we see so little of that experience throughout the game that they feel like strangers. Maybe if they had shown a day of DCOM activity as a prologue, the three groups wouldn't have felt so separate and unrelated.

And another thing: when they took out the narration in favor of cinematic sections, they didn't give us any other window into the three protagonists' thoughts. If they'd had more voiceover of the protagonists' thoughts, they would have felt more like protagonists.
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
  1. Boards
  2. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
  3. What is going on? (minor early spoilers)
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Zero II's Technology Story/Plotcancerino32/21 9:22PM