• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
  3. Anyone else think that Virtue's Last Reward is better than Zero Time Dilemma?

User Info: ZeroEscape3

ZeroEscape3
1 year ago#11
I think that's pretty close to the US system then (at least on the 10-point scale). I've heard in some other countries, a 40% is the minimum for passing (I believe that's because they make the tests more difficult).
Anyway, I agree that it fell far short of expectations... Although to be honest, I wasn't surprised. This story may have been a bit too vast in scope to wrap up neatly in a tidy little bow. The other games set the bar high, it was overhyped... It's hard not to be disappointed. Still, I try not to let that situation sway my judgement too heavily. There's good points and bad. Overall, it's mediocre, but not unforgivably terrible.
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!

User Info: z0mgthiefbeef

z0mgthiefbeef
1 year ago#12
The popular opinion is that ZTD is the worst in the series
If you like RPGs, play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

User Info: Monoculus

Monoculus
1 year ago#13
Honestly I found the aliens thing to be the least offensive part of the awful plot. We've established that there are essentially infinite timelines; in at least one of them the dominant life form would inevitably be different from what we'd recognize as human. I don't recall the plot ever necessarily claiming that they're extraterrestrials, and with their machinery they don't need to be.

Still, the time-jump-clone-machine and Zero's 'motivation' are undefendably awful writing. It's almost as insulting as immediately showing us that there's a timeline where everyone survives, essentially tossing the stakes right from the start. It still had some awesomely gruesome points that VLR really lacked (the acid showers and the pantry, especially), but a few cheap thrills can't salvage the game as a whole.
XBL: RandomTag529 | PSN/Steam ID: FEGuy | NNID: JimBobIX
Core i5-6500 | GTX 1070 OC | 16GB DDR4-2400 | Windows 10 Pro + Arch Linux

User Info: Supercuaco666

Supercuaco666
1 year ago#14
VLR is my favorite of the 3 (with 999 close behind), but just because it had the freedom to introduce a lot of interesting plot threads, as it was written with a sequel in mind.

ZTD, on the other hand, fails to deliver on a lot of those plot threads. In the VLR Q&A, Uchikoshi pretty much promised that we'd hear about the reason for Santa's absence during VLR, what happened to Snake with Clover gone forever, and that we'd meet another Left clone (which I'm convinced was the original intention for Carlos).

Instead, we got "yeah, my brother (Aoi/Santa) is helping me from outside doing who knows what", "I had a brother (Left), but he was adopted and has no further relevance to the plot, even though he is the reason I started a cult promising a new world and whatever", and jack s*** about Snake and Clover.

This game failed to deliver a satisfying finale, but after a year, I can still remember having fun with the disjointed story mechanic and theorizing about a deeper narrative (which wasn't there for the most part, but hey, it was fun).
Wash your hands before eating.

User Info: Darkrunedragon

Darkrunedragon
1 year ago#15
I hate it mostly because of the puzzles and mechanics.

VLR let you keep your memo on the top screen so that you could reference it at the same time you're doing a puzzle. Not ZTD though! Which makes the memo feature half-worthless given how much s*** you'd want to write down and refer to. Switchboard puzzles and bulls*** you gotta draw goddamned maps for.

Then there's the menu. I hate the menu so much. In a game where SO MUCH EMPHASIS is put on the touch-screen features, you can't Combine items without pressing A. When you can literally do everything else in the entire game with the touch-screen. I was trying to combine items for ages and couldn't--I'd thought the game was broken until I outright looked it up online. This is on top of the menu being clunky in general, I hate it so much.

And then there's the dialogue bulls***. All I want to do is read through the dialogue at my pace instead of waiting for these f***s to finish actually-talking. But when you do that? You end up skipping some dialogue because for some reason, instead of only skipping to the next statement, you skip to the next character to talk. WHAT THE HELL? It's a huge f***in' nuisance to anybody whose reading speed is above a 2nd-grade level!

Then there's the puzzles theirselves. 999 and VLR's puzzles had a pretty reasonably understandable progression. Generally you could only do one or two things, then once you did those things, doing so cleared the way so that you could do other things until the puzzle was completely solved. Cool! Meanwhile ZTD has zero in the way of logical progression. It'll throw 400 different puzzles at you in the same room at the same time with no way to know what you should be doing first. Then the hints theirselves won't make any f***ing goddamned sense 90% of the time. As opposed to the two or three puzzles that're a pain in the ass in VLR and 999, it seems like every single puzzle in this game gives me a headache, and I'm not even sure if it's because of the s***ty interface or the s***ty hints! And worse still, you don't even have an option to make them easier or have them spelled out for you by the other characters if you're having too much hell with the puzzle (which happens WAY TOO f***ING OFTEN.)

The only f***ing reason I'm even continuing with this game is because I want to witness the story to its conclusion. From what I'm reading here though, even the worth of the goddamn story is up for debate.
Bow and Switchaxe of the Knights of Schrade.
FC: 2509-1245-7764 Pokemon X/Y Electric friend safari

User Info: SirHenryClay14

SirHenryClay14
1 year ago#16
As you can tell from the responses on this thread, the common/popular opinion is that VLR is better/liked more than ZTD. The not at all vocal minority is the group of people who really like ZTD. Because a lot of the vocal people, especially on this board back when the game first came out, hated this game. But this game does have its defenders...or at least it did. I think most of the people who defend this game gave up trying
This door is more than it appears to be. It separates who you are from who you can be. You do not have to walk through it. You can run

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
1 year ago#17
Monoculus posted...
Still, the time-jump-clone-machine and Zero's 'motivation' are undefendably awful writing. It's almost as insulting as immediately showing us that there's a timeline where everyone survives, essentially tossing the stakes right from the start. It still had some awesomely gruesome points that VLR really lacked (the acid showers and the pantry, especially), but a few cheap thrills can't salvage the game as a whole.

If anyone truly followed the series they knew there was going to be a way for for everyone to live, but to have the answer to that at the start of the game was like "what?"

The acid shower was completely ridiculous if you even know a bit of chemistry since the acid they mentioned can't do what the game said it did; in fact such an acid couldn't be piped into a shower like that at all because it would also eat the pipes (heck, even eat the walls. Betcha Delta didn't think of that one.).
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: ryh34

ryh34
1 year ago#18
Drakenero posted...
I think most of us (if not all) can all agree that Zero Time Dilemma is, by far, the weakest entry of the Zero Escape trilogy.

In my opinion, the series is like this:
999>VLR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ZTD.

To be honest, I'd have preferred if ZTD was never made, because instead of answering questions of ZTD, it just gives half-baked explanations for them and raises a lot more. Guess what's the antagonist's motivation of the game? Nobody knows! No, seriously. They gave him a line where he says that "you wouldn't understand my motives, or they're too complex or blah blah" treating the player as an idiot and forcing eight people into a brutal game for reasons I can't still properly understand. For one, I don't know why he needed to go through the trouble of "motivating them" to save one world, out of the infinites doomed worlds out there, considering that most of the group (Phi, Sigma, Junpei and Akane) were already trying to do that. The rest of them could have been easily persuaded, aside from Mira and maybe Eric, obviously, but they're filler and useless if more than anything else, and thus not needed at all. So, why add more s***ty worlds to the pile? Let's not forget the addition of aliens! And Akane suffering from something that made her dumb enough so that she could be Junpei's damsel in distress instead of the cold, calculating person she really is. AND MIND HACK!!!!!!!!!.

I completely agree, I just they had time and funds to make the game they truly wanted to make. I hate myself hating on this game since I love 999 and VLR, but kinda wished he just wrote the story he wanted to do and post it online. I wasn't on board with the animation which made the game look even worse.
  1. Boards
  2. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
  3. Anyone else think that Virtue's Last Reward is better than Zero Time Dilemma?
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Zero II's Technology Story/Plotcancerino32/21 9:22PM
Zero II's Technology Story/Plotcancerino32/21 9:22PM