I think I took some bad advice...But want more

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Kingdom
  3. I think I took some bad advice...But want more

User Info: Ghalion

Ghalion
2 years ago#1
early on when I started playing this, I checked these boards for some technical details from the people who had the opportunity to play the beta and the pre-release demo. I saw multiple people say that it's pretty much bad to spend level up bonus point things on stuff other than Tech because level ups raise stats more than the level bonus thingies, and being higher level will matter more than having better stats for your level.

Welp, I did just that and every time I am in war mode and I encounter an enemy, they deal drastically more damage and take more than I do despite the fact I made sure not to get involved in a war without being the minimum level required to wear the next tier of gear.

I think this advice was assuming that I played this game like a madman and I was ahead of the level curve for the entire population because of my invested points in tech, but instead I'm no better off than the other players, AND even if I am, I STILL feel weaker. For example enemy units can move first, travel across the map, and kill a unit of mine in a single combo or close to it, meanwhile my surviving units don't have to travel as far, so have more action points or whatever, and often struggle to kill someone in 3 full combos..and I'm not using bad combos, I'm using technical instead of simple, and making sure I'm using attacks with the best gauge/power ratio (unless it has a function like armor break against tanks and whatnot, or rogue's anti-lead anti-range attacks against those units, etc)... The only one I can't seem to take advantage of is my blacksmith's full swing. Even after flying hammer, most units land before she can full swing because she's so darn slow.. blah, stupid smith.

In the off chance I'm wrong, is there any other reason why my units might seem so darn feeble compared to my enemies? It's kinda making me feel like war is a drag since while I can win battles in it, I can NEVER go for a 2nd without healing or changing troops to recover.

Also, what are those 'versus' missions about? I've been doing mostly single missions, some wars, and a few story missions, I have been avoiding the versus missions because they don't seem to offer anything different than single, but under the 'hostiles' section, I'm seeing enemy units way higher level than me so I feel like the reward isn't compensated by the added challenge of an enemy like 2X the level of everything else.

Also, are there any mounted units other than the dragonwitch? Somewhere in the game thing it had a tutorial tip thing saying "dragonwitches take 2 unit slots like all mounted units", and I'm sitting there thinking 'durr.. aren't they the ONLY mounted units?'

User Info: JKiii

JKiii
2 years ago#2
The point was to get to Lv99 as soon as possible with TEC either to use charm scrolls to respec or to be used to powerlevel higher aptitude characters. You are probably fighting the ones who did it right.
Little King of LBP Level Recordings
http://www.youtube.com/user/JHKthree

User Info: Kushu

Kushu
2 years ago#3
For me, the Blacksmith really doesn't take off until close to 50, when she gets Bump Swing.
Ground Knock+Bump Swing puts out thousands of damage.

As for the difficulties you're encountering....it's tough to say without seeing your formations and equipment and team and whatnot.
if the enemies are moving first, that might be part of the problem. Assuming you aren't doing Defensive fronts (pressing X on an allied fort to help heal it by fighting) your enemies shouldn't be moving before you do. unless you're using super slow units. Flags or crystals might be able to change this??. Death March will change it. But then, if they're death march, it seems unlikely they'd have the AP to just walk up and kill you outright.
In fact, 'roving band of kobolds, seductive' is now on my random encounter table.
-Marozi

User Info: KDS1000

KDS1000
2 years ago#4
Run a warrior with True Guard since tec effects guard, it worked wonders for me on my way to 99, even with my troops full tec. It's a great strategy for leveling, then charm scroll at 99.

User Info: Madlax27

Madlax27
2 years ago#5
Strangely after playing now I feel like TEC isn't quite as useful as originally thought.

Getting to level 99 on the starting characters seems like a waste of time, as their Aptitudes are pretty bad. I usually just check for new recruitables with amazing aptitudes now, and then tome them to make them perfect and then I'll worry about getting to level 99. Otherwise in the meantime, with how matchmaking works in a War there is no immediate rush to get to 99, much better to have perfect characters.

User Info: Serenitys_Cat

Serenitys_Cat
2 years ago#6
Madlax27 posted...
Strangely after playing now I feel like TEC isn't quite as useful as originally thought.

Getting to level 99 on the starting characters seems like a waste of time, as their Aptitudes are pretty bad. I usually just check for new recruitables with amazing aptitudes now, and then tome them to make them perfect and then I'll worry about getting to level 99. Otherwise in the meantime, with how matchmaking works in a War there is no immediate rush to get to 99, much better to have perfect characters.

I believe the intention is to use your 99 starters to grind your guild rank up to S, then hire the best possible mercs at that point. I remember reading that the stat gains you get from levels are better than the stat gains you get from bonus points; therefore, maxing TEC on your crap units gives them the best bang for their buck and lets them carry you on sheer levels alone until you can start recruiting the best of the best.
Official Princess Parasol wielder of the Hyrule Warriors board.
My magnum opus: http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/622913-gungnir/faqs/68571

User Info: YummyBear222

YummyBear222
2 years ago#7
99 TEC for all new characters. Use scrolls on characters you KNOW you're going to keep, and get rid of TEC for all chars except Fighter/Paladin during respec, although it might make sense to keep that TEC until your guy is all S rank in important areas at least. I'm saving all my scrolls so I don't have to level a character over and over again. I'm also going to level multiple variations of the same classes to make sure I get all the skills I want before spending those scrolls.
PS3 PSN: SonicChill
PS4 PSN: Yummybear222

Serenitys_Cat
2 years ago#8
YummyBear222 posted...
I'm also going to level multiple variations of the same classes to make sure I get all the skills I want before spending those scrolls.

I knew they learned them in different orders, but I didn't know this. Characters don't learn all the skills of their class?

User Info: Kushu

Kushu
2 years ago#9
Serenitys_Cat posted...
YummyBear222 posted...
I'm also going to level multiple variations of the same classes to make sure I get all the skills I want before spending those scrolls.

I knew they learned them in different orders, but I didn't know this. Characters don't learn all the skills of their class?

Correct. There are a lot of staples that every member of the class will learn. But each class has a handful of exceptions.
For example, I've seen a lot of NPC nobles use an AOE Regeneration ability, that I haven't gotten on the 3 nobles I've levelled.
All Blacksmiths seem to learn Megaton Hammer, but not all learn "Avoid Traps"
In fact, 'roving band of kobolds, seductive' is now on my random encounter table.
-Marozi

Serenitys_Cat
2 years ago#10
Kushu posted...
Correct. There are a lot of staples that every member of the class will learn. But each class has a handful of exceptions.
For example, I've seen a lot of NPC nobles use an AOE Regeneration ability, that I haven't gotten on the 3 nobles I've levelled.
All Blacksmiths seem to learn Megaton Hammer, but not all learn "Avoid Traps"

Oh damn. Well, thank you very much, that's very good to know now rather than later o_o;
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Kingdom
  3. I think I took some bad advice...But want more

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived