• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. The big 4 FF's (VI, VII, IX, X) and their faults
Aeneas11 1 week ago#1
So I've noticed that, rightly or wrongly, there are certain FFs that divide opinion on here such as XII, XIII, XV, VIII, II etc, so I thought it'd be cool to look at/constructively argue over some of the issues of the so called 'big four' for the sake of fairness. Please refrain from disingenuous criticism ala like FF13's 'You can beat the game on auto battle' which is clearly false. Feel free to add or disagree with people's opinion but try to keep it civil.

I freakin LOVE these games btw and together with VIII they make up my top 5 FF games, but here a few things you can either agree or disagree:
  • FF6- Probably a minority opinion but the lack of a true main character actually hurts the plot, especially in the world of ruin where you can complete the game without half the cast. A main character actually serves to unite a cast around a pivot but with FF6 there's an issue where i don't feel as if the characters are together enough. You could cut the game's cast down nearly by half and turn them into NPCs and very little would be lost.
  • The world of ruin is such a cool concept but it is kind of a chore to navigate. Other people have said this too but it kind of wears the player out having to find everyone again and gets to be exhausting. I feel FF VI's pacing is not as good as VII's and this for me is the main reason. VII's confrontation with Shinra and then onto the cave to meet Sephiroth is a lot more satisfying. VI by contrast actually loses a bit of a steam at the crucial point (awesome game though it is).
  • FF7-Tifa's jail escape is one of the most ridiculous escapes I've ever seen. From the jailer dropping the key, to her surviving the gas, to Weapon conveniently making an escape hole, to her jumping and catching the rope to the airship. The whole thing is completely ridiculous. Personally i don't care that much, but it feels weird when people criticize other FF games for absurdities and yet never mention things like this when it has some of the most 'deux ex machina' moments i've seen in an FF game. Cloud falling through a roof and surviving is ten times more believable than this.
  • FF7- Cloud's mother has a weirdly withdrawn part of his backstory that's never touched upon. I hate the insistence by modern gamer's that EVERY character has to have a backstory or an in-depth character reveal but yeah, this is the main characters mother and she's never really factored into Cloud's history in any meaningful way. I've always found it a bit weird.
  • FF7- Cait Sith- the developers couldn't even be bothered to give him a proper final limit break, probably because they knew no one would pick him.
  • FF9- The battle speed sucks ass. I love this game but compared to VII and VIII it's battle speed is so slow at times, it makes FF12 look intense by comparison. I get used to it every time I play the game but it always shocks me at first. Obviously the limitations of the PS have to be considered given the inclusion of a 4 party team, but it is a bit of a drag at times, especially at the start of the game.
  • FF9- Zidane's 'You're not alone scene' is surprisingly weak and forced in game that's otherwise full of emotion. His character change is literally about 5 minutes long and then he's back to normal Zidane again. Music is great though but i just never felt this scene was all that special yet people seem to love it.
  • FF10- This isn't really a criticism of X and more of SE but the sphere grid at the time was an interesting new take on the leveling up a system which followed the previous diversity of the PS1 titles, however it set a precedent for a lazy, derivative approaches that followed in 12, 13 and 15 which kind of all followed this idea of accessing a board and putting points into power ups/abilities. Also, once each character moved about on the sphere grid it kind of ruined each character's unique abilities.

There's just a few issues i had with these stellar games. Feel free to add or disagree.
crono12064 1 week ago#2
I've already given my fair share of criticisms regarding FFVII due to it being my favorite of the ones listed. They usually revolve around materia, such as the lazy world building (isn't touched upon how it affects the lives of everyday people despite being so widely distributed) to the gameplay (easily transferable magic/skills that further lessens character uniqueness).

Tifa's escape also has her in a slap fight despite her being a skilled martial artist.
(edited 1 week ago)
marko7 1 week ago#3
Aeneas11 posted...
Please refrain from disingenuous criticism ala like FF13's 'You can beat the game on auto battle' which is clearly false
I mean, that's not disingenuous or false. You can legitimately steamroll like 90% of the main story in XIII by hammering auto battle with minimal paradigms.

As for a critique of the alleged ""big four"", I've never really thought that Sephiroth was a good villain. Yeah, his ominous mystery at the beginning of the game is good but then you get the Nibelheim flashback. His decent into insanity literally happens overnight and then you chase his clone for the rest of the game where he occasionally pops up to say or do something comically evil. Big f***ing yawn-arama in my humble opinion.

The final scene between him and Cloud in the Remake is the most interesting he's been for decades because he actually seems to have a personality there.

Made you look
SilverDen 1 week ago#4
I agree with you. I love FFIX but some of my biggest criticism were the underutilization of the world, dropped character arcs(Freya, Eiko, Amarant) and Beatrix not getting held accountable for her actions. The slow battle speed is obnoxious too.

FFVI also suffers from waffling after you get to the world of ruin.
sano83 1 week ago#5
People give s*** to Final Fantasy VIII being only about Laguna, Squall and Rinoa, but Final Fantasy X is trully only about Tidus and Yuna.
The other guardians are there to react to Tidus and Yuna. Wakka has a very small arc about blitzball (that just disappear from the story after Luca, anyways) and hating Al Behd but the others? Just there for the ride. People somehow even claim Auron is a good character, when he is just an a****** that refuses to give all the information he has. The world is laughable small. The whole point of the game is doing a pilgrimage that an out of shape person can do in a bike treck in a weekend.
The lore is contradicting. People can't buy big cities because otherwise Sin would attack, but Luca and Bevelle exist.
The main character is a child. And a stupid one as that. Remember when he rolled through the ground while trying to peep on Yuna? I remember.
[...Whatever.]
Aeneas11 1 week ago#6
marko7 posted...
I mean, that's not disingenuous or false. You can legitimately steamroll like 90% of the main story in XIII by hammering auto battle with minimal paradigms.

As for a critique of the alleged ""big four"", I've never really thought that Sephiroth was a good villain. Yeah, his ominous mystery at the beginning of the game is good but then you get the Nibelheim flashback. His decent into insanity literally happens overnight and then you chase his clone for the rest of the game where he occasionally pops up to say or do something comically evil. Big f***ing yawn-arama in my humble opinion.

The final scene between him and Cloud in the Remake is the most interesting he's been for decades because he actually seems to have a personality there.

XIII is the only game in the main series I really dislike but that criticism of it is false. You will die horribly and repeatedly if you don't get the hang of the paradigm switch and carefully select your strategy. For all its many many faults it's also probably the FF that most necessitates buffs and debuffs in the series meaning there is a lot more to it than just hammering auto-battle.
As much as X was an absolutely stunning game graphically back in its day, by f*** i hated the linearity of it given we had just came from the ps1 and 3 FF titles that had a degree of openness about their world, even in X when you got the airship you could only pick certain places, boring

VII for me was how easily you could become overpowered, once you had decent materia levelled up, decent weapons, you were pretty much invincible bar fighting ruby or emerald weapon

VIII again to do with overpowering, using meltdown then aura then a hero on squall (or holy war on your party) pretty much wrecked every single boss, even omega weapon if you survived his level 5 death move was a piece of piss lol
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts
History will be kind to me for i intend to write it
Aeneas11 6 days ago#8
sano83 posted...
People give s*** to Final Fantasy VIII being only about Laguna, Squall and Rinoa, but Final Fantasy X is trully only about Tidus and Yuna.
The other guardians are there to react to Tidus and Yuna. Wakka has a very small arc about blitzball (that just disappear from the story after Luca, anyways) and hating Al Behd but the others? Just there for the ride. People somehow even claim Auron is a good character, when he is just an a****** that refuses to give all the information he has. The world is laughable small. The whole point of the game is doing a pilgrimage that an out of shape person can do in a bike treck in a weekend.
The lore is contradicting. People can't buy big cities because otherwise Sin would attack, but Luca and Bevelle exist.
The main character is a child. And a stupid one as that. Remember when he rolled through the ground while trying to peep on Yuna? I remember.

I love FFX but the amount of residences and small towns near water doesn't really make much sense. Been awhile since I played it; maybe I'm forgetting something that explains this.
1Tekkaman 6 days ago#9
Aeneas11 posted...
I love FFX but the amount of residences and small towns near water doesn't really make much sense. Been awhile since I played it; maybe I'm forgetting something that explains this.
sano is, however, incorrect about Auron. He has very good reason for his reticence.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
"I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live." Fumito Ueda
AliceShiki 6 days ago#10
For FF VI, the game is way too easy. Like... I tried doing a Single Character run in that game, and the only thing I struggled against was Kaiser Dragon (and I still won in the 3rd attempt or so)... And I wasn't even max leveled IIRC, so like... The game kinda lacks in the challenge aspect? Even the ultimate challenge boss can be soloed after all.

For FF X, I actually kinda have the opposite complaint? The post-game is way too grindy... Like, unlocking the arena bosses in itself is a pain, but like... The ultimate final bosses of the post-game require such an absurd grind to be beatable, that's just... Blegh.

... Though well, I'm aware that if you craft the right weapons and abuse Rikku's OPness, you can beat basically everything without the Sphere Grid, but I honestly never understood how that was possible, and wasn't really willing to try learning how to make that work.

All that I remember was just stumbling upon a random Dark Aeon and it dishing out absurd amounts of damage and wiping my party in no time and the like... I wanted to try out those post-game battles, but I felt like they were locked behind some stupid amounts of grind (or some crazy Rikku setups), so I just gave up on them.

Oh, and one of the post-game bosses being underwater is just stupid. Forcing everyone to level Tidus/Wakka/Rikku to beat that boss is like... Eh? Why? Let me play with the party I want.

... And well, Lulu's attack animation shouldn't be that slow, seriously, who thought that that was a good idea?

Oh, and both FF VI and FF X have the problem of the entire party looking the same by the end of the game due to how the system works, which isn't that fun IMO. Having each character having its own merits and demerits is nice~
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. The big 4 FF's (VI, VII, IX, X) and their faults
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A