• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. I feel like they ruined Sephiroth

User Info: BlazeBluez

BlazeBluez
2 weeks ago#1
Hear me out... when I was a kid playing ff7 this villian was etched into my mind. I was young and I looked up to him but he also had an eerie feeling about him. He's pretty much a full blown psychopath after figuring out the truth...

I found him really well written. He wasn't always in your face but you could feel his presence lingering in areas you would visit.

Fast forward to 2021. What the fu...
I get that remake wants to become kingdom hearts confusing as the last 2 chapters have proved. But why have us fight him so early? He's no longer a presence to me. He's someone I beat in the first installment of the game.

I dont mind the change but he's brought up way too much and we haven't even left Shinra. I liked the game don't get me wrong but wow some of the choices they made... Not to mention they didn't explain who the hell sephiroth is for newcomers it was just assumed you played the OG.

The OG game all came down to stopping sephiroths goal after you treck thru hours of gameplay learning about how he got so messed up and what made him who he is all while discovering why Cloud is linked to him.. Not. "Sephiroth is still out there. We gotta beat him" tf??
I'm that guy who can do whatever he wants cause he has the money to do it. And you're the guy who doesn't have the size or muscle to stop me.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: ShinraRatDog

ShinraRatDog
2 weeks ago#2
I like some of the scenes between Sephiroth and Cloud in this game, one of which is especially iconic and a strong character moment for Cloud himself, but I agree Sephiroth should have never been a boss battle in this game. Especially with how it was executed. If they absolutely needed to have a Sephiroth fight he should have wiped the floor with your party and been untouchable. Basically I hated everything after the motorcycle escape (which was amazing), but I was relatively happy with Sephiroth's scenes prior to that.

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
2 weeks ago#3
ShinraRatDog posted...
I like some of the scenes between Sephiroth and Cloud in this game, one of which is especially iconic and a strong character moment for Cloud himself, but I agree Sephiroth should have never been a boss battle in this game. Especially with how it was executed. If they absolutely needed to have a Sephiroth fight he should have wiped the floor with your party and been untouchable. Basically I hated everything after the motorcycle escape (which was amazing), but I was relatively happy with Sephiroth's scenes prior to that.

I would have preferred this too.

Would have made him very threatening.

Although to be fair, he was basically playing around with us in that boss battle and he was trolling, if we're going by his smug smile before he vanishes.

Still... should have held off on him.

I wonder if we're going to fight him in every instalment? I can see them doing that: Sephiroth and Jenova boss battles for every game. I do think the fear factor would decrease a lot if they were to do that, so I dunno.

User Info: scifi1980

scifi1980
2 weeks ago#4
Sephiroth worked better as a super natural Michael Myers type character, wandering the Earth, leaving corpses in his wake and the gang is following his trail. Wasn't too crazy about him popping up to make bedroom eyes at Cloud and floating vague and cryptic quips at him.

I liked the Sephiroth fight, but it should have been saved for EP 3, then he could go all Kaiju monster like FF games like to have the main baddies do sometimes.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 weeks ago#5
The crazy part is the creators recognized what made him work in the original, and their excuse for the change is that "players already know him". This is why people say Remake was written as a sequel.

I did kind of like the Marco scene though. If they had used that as Sephiroth's first "appearance" it would have been a wild moment. Unfortunately though this came after you get a pointless 5 minute segment of Sephiroth doing stupid taunts like his AC incarnation.

User Info: WTGHookshot

WTGHookshot
2 weeks ago#6
BlazeBluez posted...
Hear me out... when I was a kid playing ff7 this villian was etched into my mind. I was young and I looked up to him but he also had an eerie feeling about him. He's pretty much a full blown psychopath after figuring out the truth...

I found him really well written. He wasn't always in your face but you could feel his presence lingering in areas you would visit.

Fast forward to 2021. What the fu...
I get that remake wants to become kingdom hearts confusing as the last 2 chapters have proved. But why have us fight him so early? He's no longer a presence to me. He's someone I beat in the first installment of the game.
They explained this. He was a mystery in the original game for quite a while (a presence as you put it). But in 2021, everyone knows who he is because the original exists, the compilation exists, Kingdom Hearts exists, Dissidia exists, the mobile games exist, World of Final Fantasy exists, Ergheiz exists, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate exists, etc. Even if you never played the original, it's most likely you know of Sephiroth... After all, he's one of the most iconic gaming figures (let alone villains) in all of gaming. So, his presence is no longer a mystery.
I dont mind the change but he's brought up way too much and we haven't even left Shinra. I liked the game don't get me wrong but wow some of the choices they made... Not to mention they didn't explain who the hell sephiroth is for newcomers it was just assumed you played the OG.

The OG game all came down to stopping sephiroths goal after you treck thru hours of gameplay learning about how he got so messed up and what made him who he is all while discovering why Cloud is linked to him.. Not. "Sephiroth is still out there. We gotta beat him" tf??

The original game also didn't take place purely in Midgar; it went trekking across the world. They need some sort of hook to keep players interested in Parts 2, 3, 4, etc. And they need some climactic battle at the end of the game or else it will feel off.

I'm not saying you have to like what they did; just explaining WHY they did what they did.
Thanos was wrong. Mike Ehrmantraut, "The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way ... No more half measures."

User Info: SoVEoCLoCK

SoVEoCLoCK
2 weeks ago#7
scifi1980 posted...
Sephiroth worked better as a super natural Michael Myers type character, wandering the Earth, leaving corpses in his wake and the gang is following his trail. Wasn't too crazy about him popping up to make bedroom eyes at Cloud and floating vague and cryptic quips at him.

I liked the Sephiroth fight, but it should have been saved for EP 3, then he could go all Kaiju monster like FF games like to have the main baddies do sometimes.

Agree with all this 100%.

Ideally I wish he could've had brief glimpses with his first "appearance" at the end of the highway leading to a Jenova battle to end the game. But obviously that doesn't work for the sequel angle they're taking.

I'd be a little more receptive to his increased presence at least if it weren't the yaoi stalker persona he's had in every appearance beyond the OG game minus Crisis Core. It sucks when they absolutely nailed every other character.

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
2 weeks ago#8
ShinraRatDog posted...
If they absolutely needed to have a Sephiroth fight he should have wiped the floor with your party and been untouchable.

Yeah, but they did have that duel at the end where he does wipe the floor with Cloud.

User Info: SilverDen

SilverDen
2 weeks ago#9
They blew the load way to early with him. It’s a fanservice game after all.

User Info: Sub Tank

Sub Tank
2 weeks ago#10
BlazeBluez posted...
Sometimes less is more. It's kind of funny, because I don't remember the guy having any final boss dialogue at all, or even a snippy one liner when he rid the world of a certain flower peddler. Could you imagine? In fact, the original Sephiroth was so silent and so focused that he reminded me of the Terminator -- an emotionless, objective-oriented character who can't be reasoned with, and who's threat is emphasized by the severity of his actions. That's why he had a presence.

Unfortunately, he's slowly devolved into a standard anime villain who talks too much, and only exists to psychologically torment Cloud. They took a very straightforward character and tried to make him more complex than he actually is. It's really such a shame.
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. I feel like they ruined Sephiroth
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

Can Don Corneo choose Tifa or Aerith? Main Quest4 Answers
How do you equip weapons and armor? Build2 Answers
How to get a 300% Stagger? Side Quest2 Answers
How to beat Hell house on hard mode? Enemy/Boss20 Answers
Can't summon ifrit ? Tech Support1 Answer