• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Push Square FF Rankings poll

User Info: Aeneas11

Aeneas11
4 days ago#1
https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/best-final-fantasy-games

Another FF poll, not sure about the amount of votes cast and this is a PLAYSTATION focused poll so bear that in mind, but it is what it is. Nothing massively surprising but some key points and how it differs from the recent Japanese poll which was the largest ever.

• FFV is quite a few places lower than it's reception in the Japanese poll, due probably to the lack of people having played it in the West. Wouldn't be surprised to see this snake up any rankings in a few years with the pixel remaster (and possibly a future remake)
  • FF14 i thought this would be even higher considering it's growing rep. Again, even though personally I'm not a huge MMO fan, I feel this will probably get a higher place in the future.
  • FF7R gets a very respectable 3rd place. Not sure how I feel about that considering its plot points/changes and the fact that it's part of something much bigger which might alter its perception in time, for better or worse. For now though it rides high.
  • FFVIII-that game people on here say everyone hates gets yet ANOTHER upper tier ranking according to a poll. It got 7th out of 30 games in Japan's largest ever poll, and 6th place in another western poll, and 6th place out of 27 games here. Hmmmm....It's almost as if it's actually generally well liked.
  • FFII gets yet another beating sadly. People really seem to dislike that game :(
  • FF13 gets beat again by FF15. Oh boy!
  • FF12 did not do well in the Japanese poll (15th out of 30) but does much better here in 8th place.
  • FF VI, VII, IX and X as usual get top 5 as they always do in every single poll. I agree with this. Do you?
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: stepan618

stepan618
4 days ago#2
XIII in the pits like always. Bad rpg. Even at 15th place its too high imo. I and III, WoFF and XI are better games.

VIIR would sit down between 10th and 15th for me. Down at the bottom end, but not a terrible game. 3rd is just ridiculous, its pure recency bias.

Aeneas11
4 days ago#3
stepan618 posted...
XIII in the pits like always. Bad rpg. Even at 15th place its too high imo. I and III, WoFF and XI are better games.

VIIR would sit down between 10th and 15th for me. Down at the bottom end, but not a terrible game. 3rd is just ridiculous, its pure recency bias.

In my comment about VIII I think (but would need to check) that the other Western poll i referenced might have been a Push Square poll too; i can't remember but in that poll FFXV got 5th place which does suggest some recency bias seeing as now its 12th (if it's the same poll). People said back then that XV was high to recency bias and that might be the case. I think we can say the dust has settled on that game and I think it's done reasonably well for all the crap that got thrown at it.

EDIT- just checked, that poll that had XV at 5th and VIII at 6th was actually RPG site not Push Square. It came out in 2018.

I still maintain the dust hasn't settled on 7R as yet, for better or worse due to it being part of a wider story scope. The other player rankings are interesting though.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: King_Shortt_IX

King_Shortt_IX
4 days ago#4
That seems like fair rankings albeit recently bias may be working in favor for FFVIIR, but is one of the best entries the series has had in a long time.

Who knows maybe at the end of the remake multiple parts make the top ten if each game is treated separately.
My blade is unbending.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
4 days ago#5
Always nice to see VIII place high.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
"I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live." Fumito Ueda

Aeneas11
4 days ago#6
1Tekkaman posted...
Always nice to see VIII place high.
Yeah, yet again it does well and sits just outside the usual suspects at the top.

Aeneas11
4 days ago#7
King_Shortt_IX posted...
That seems like fair rankings albeit recently bias may be working in favor for FFVIIR, but is one of the best entries the series has had in a long time.

Who knows maybe at the end of the remake multiple parts make the top ten if each game is treated separately.

I think there's more of a tendency to differentiate 10 and 13's sequels as they are separate but related entities whereas 7R is one story (if that makes sense) and we're only a third of the way through. I'm not sure if 7R2 is a flop then people will go back and knock 7R and say 'saw it coming' or whether as you say people will view them all as top 10 worthy if they're great.

To use Game of Thrones as an example, I really found the last two series to be so bad and it has seriously affected my enjoyment of the earlier seasons. Not everyone will think like this and that's fine but for me it was kind of ruined. I just haven't wanted to watch earlier seasons ever since.

User Info: Johnalove

Johnalove
4 days ago#8
I'm glad VII, IX and VII Remake made it in the Top 3, they're my Top 3 favorite games in the series, just in a different order.
Edit: I'm also glad XII made it in the Top 10.
''Everyone is capable of changing themselves, your imagination is your only limit'' - Takuto Maruki
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: Litane

Litane
4 days ago#9
I'm surprised VII:Remake wasn't number 1 tbh. FF fans are notorious for recency bias. I remember when FFXIII and FFXV were the best games ever.
I have somewhere to be but I don't want to go there. pooh truncus!

User Info: Mikexl

Mikexl
4 days ago#10
I'd drop 10 way down, but it looks good besides that. My top 5 is:

FF7
FF8
FF7 Remake
FF9
FF6

FF4 should be higher too, and they should be using the versions that came with the After Years and not the PS1 version
(edited 4 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Push Square FF Rankings poll
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A