• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Did Compilation (AC, CC, DoC) help or hurt the narrative of 7

User Info: Bustersword43

Bustersword43
1 week ago#1
Did Compilation (AC, CC, DoC) help or hurt the narrative of 7 - Results (157 votes)
Tarnish but not severely
32.48% (51 votes)
It severely tarnished it
38.22% (60 votes)
No impact
5.73% (9 votes)
It somewhat helped it
15.29% (24 votes)
It greatly helped it
8.28% (13 votes)
You must be registered and logged in to vote in this poll.
Title says it all.
I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#2
Severely tarnished, save for Advent Children providing the critical service of showing the gang survived Meteorfall (OG's ending was nigh-worthless). Also liked how Shinra was handled, especially Rufus trolling Kadaj. Otherwise, complete and utter drek, especially Crisis Core.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Wiegraf_Folles

Wiegraf_Folles
1 week ago#3
The compilation is mostly s***, but I wouldn’t say it tarnishes anything from the OG.

Like the new characters were awful, it fetis***ed Cloud’s angst, there was too much angst in general, retcons, inconsistent super powers, portions that only exist in Japanese, and a real “milked it for all its worth and kept on tugging” feel to it.

But, much like how I can still go back and read ASOIF years after game of thrones jumped the shark, I’ve never had any problems disassociating the OG from the compilation.

It was very clearly created after the fact, and has little barring on the OG, which wasn’t created with a compilation in mind.
1: Metal Gear Solid. 2: FFT. 3: Xenogears. 4: FFVII.
5: Vagrant Story.

User Info: Aeneas11

Aeneas11
1 week ago#4
Severely tarnished it sadly and the remake is desperately trying to gather it all together (and add new stuff) which is a really difficult task.

User Info: million_suns

million_suns
1 week ago#5
It definitely diminished the impact of the OG.

While I read the ending of OG differently to most people, my biggest issue with the Compilation was how it made Meteorfall just seem like another in a long line of apocalyptic near-misses for the planet.
Given that all of said near-misses are a direct result of Shinra influence, they should by no means be redeemed so easily in AC/DoC.

User Info: shababboss

shababboss
1 week ago#6
I can feel tears flowing down Tekka's face everytime Crisis Core is mentioned. I'll never know how that game traumatized him this bad considering he never played it

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 week ago#7
Someone actually voted "greatly helped"? I am honestly stunned.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Gradieus

Gradieus
1 week ago#8
They're bad but they never tarnished the OG. I've never seen anyone online say "ff7 on ps1 sucks because of crisis core".

It just doesn't make any sense. Don't like it then ignore it problem solved.

User Info: Zennou

Zennou
1 week ago#9
As individual narratives tacked on after the fact? f***ing awful. Crisis Core (not Genesis) and small pieces of Advent Children were worthwhile, but most of Advent Children and all of Dirge of Cerberus was total s***. I can't speak so much on the novelization, but Leslie as a character is also s*** and it's really creepy that he's portrayed in such a positive light.

In terms of what we've got as they try to connect the compilation content within the context of the original story in Remake? What they've done so far has worked very well, connecting the more interesting narrative threads without totally inundating us with the bulls*** associated with the compilation titles. It's difficult to ask for better than that in this first part exactly because it was done well, and in particular because they explicitly wanted to connect it this way so we were always gonna get something along these lines for better or worse. As long as they don't lean into bulls*** like making half of a game's enemies Genesis clones it should be fine. I cannot fathom that it would ever devolve into Dirge of Cerberus's degree of s*** writing at the very least.
We leap from dream to dream, and today we dream anew.

User Info: crono12064

crono12064
1 week ago#10
Gradieus posted...
They're bad but they never tarnished the OG. I've never seen anyone online say "ff7 on ps1 sucks because of crisis core".

It's possible a prospective new fan was introduced to FFVII's universe through the compilation but was deterred enough to the point that they'd never try FFVII.

Even cursory searches of "Final Fantasy VII' on a search engine used to yield Compilation results mixed in with the original game, although nowadays FFVIIR shows up more instead.

Zennou posted...
small pieces of Advent Children were worthwhile

Yeah, as much as I didn't like the movie, I will say that much about it. Specifically how we got to see more of Cloud's true self, with his redesign and new weapon being emblematic of that.

(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Did Compilation (AC, CC, DoC) help or hurt the narrative of 7
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A