• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Does linearity really make a bad game?

User Info: Valentine242fe

Valentine242fe
3 weeks ago#1
Does linearity really make a bad game?

FFXIII used to be considered the worst mainline game for a long time until it became vindicated by history thanks to the polarizing reception of FFXV. I never got why the linearity of FFXIII was such a panned aspect of it. The FF series has always been linear, they just hid it better. FFXV was the first mainline game to have an open world from the start which begs the on why it’s polarizing when it’s the most non-linear game in the series.

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
3 weeks ago#2
If it's in excess, and the game offers you nothing but a narrow path to follow, then yes.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 weeks ago#3
meteora88 posted...
If it's in excess, and the game offers you nothing but a narrow path to follow, then yes.
This. I would add that XIII being vindicated by history is news to me.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: rpggamer29

rpggamer29
3 weeks ago#4
No. But 13 took it to a whole new level it shouldn't have. Also, that is a big discussion point when it comes to the series but I imagine linearity is middle to low on the list of what is bad about 13 for people who hate it. I am one of them.

This is very simple. Linear and open worlds can both be bad, great or anywhere in between. It depends on how each is done. It just so happens that 13 and 15 did the respective style in the worst way possible.
Spoiler warning, my profile includes Trails of Cold Steel 4 promotional material.

User Info: Valentine242fe

Valentine242fe
3 weeks ago#5
rpggamer29 posted...
15 did the respective style in the worst way possible.
How did FFXV get open world wrong?

User Info: Lord Sojiro

Lord Sojiro
3 weeks ago#6
People love FFX and that game is linear for a large portion of the game.

User Info: SplitNova

SplitNova
3 weeks ago#7
I don’t care about having choices if the game is heavily plot focused. It really depends on the game.

User Info: Zennou

Zennou
3 weeks ago#8
The linearity of XIII was bad because all they did for most of its development time was stockpile assets and create hallways that used a minimal amount of them until further direction was given. The hallways were completely bereft of a lot of usual RPG staples like say even the vaguest sense of exploration, and they GREATLY overstayed their welcome, consisting of a solid third to half of the game (depending on exactly how much you loved Pulse in all its sterile glory).

X did it a thousand times better because they knew what the design direction would be from the start whereas XIII was just a mess of bad management. Likewise VII Remake (and even OG's Midgar), also displayed a much greater design sensibility driven by intent and real direction instead of just slapping s*** together while conserving resources until being told to do something else. And what really keeps XIII in the trash heap of bad linear game design is that its world is completely bereft of any sense of life outside of cutscenes and on top of that it's completely bereft of story and narrative even IN cutscenes, all it's got is plot plot plot. Sure you can watch some monsters run around Pulse, but there's absolutely nothing to interact with in any way other than battling, or menus (which is where all the actual story and narrative is hidden, taking you completely out of the game in order to read it).

Lightning Returns is the best of the XIII trilogy not because its combat design or gameplay loop is necessarily better, but because they finally, FINALLY created an actual RPG world to interact with. Even now, XIII's saving grace isn't that XV gave people the stark contrast of an opposite approach gone wrong in their opinion, its saving grace is that once the initial wave of extreme disappointment died down people were able to take it in for what it is, and it's really not bad as a whole. It's even got some incredibly good writing and messaging in that datalog (and holy s*** it's unfortunate that it's completely stuck there). It's just that the design separates all the good things into unrelated pieces and when most people play it for the first time, they experience it insufficient piece by insufficient piece because nothing about the game actively encourages you to look any further than the hallways, the cutscenes, and as much of Pulse as you can stomach before getting sick of it.
We leap from dream to dream, and today we dream anew.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: The_Undying_84

The_Undying_84
3 weeks ago#9
Yes. I have no interest in games when I don't have a choice of what to do, to the point that I often quit games after beating all side quests without ever actually bothering with the final dungeon.
bloop

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 weeks ago#10
Valentine242fe posted...
How did FFXV get open world wrong?
It was empty.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Does linearity really make a bad game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A