• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Has square forgotten how to make good side quests?
Cloud is a mercenary. All the 'fighting' quests make sense. People hire him to kill monsters. It makes perfect sense. If anything, searching for missing cats doesn't make sense.
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: og_megaman

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#12
Im not trying to say ff7r is bad it's one of my favourite games but the side quest aspect is just spoon fed quests, you know exactly where to go l, what to look for and they are all easy af with little to no reward. I feel like thay need to do more complicated stuff and not hand out everything for free heck the most satiafying fights in the game you find by talking to chadly and your simply told where he is and what to do to acess it, there is nothing hidden no mystery. Sure you can say midgar is super linear and its hard to hide stuff but like i said before they could have put some effort into a hidden dungeon or something like other ff games at least considering it's a complete game.
-------------
(edited 4 weeks ago)
og_megaman posted...
with little to no reward

Are you serious?

User Info: tenpowers

tenpowers
4 weeks ago#14
og_megaman posted...
The thing is that in remake all the side quests are shown in menus being so you cannot miss them and there is no mystery. Seeing the dons symbol on the doors was the closest thing to a side quest of old in remake but it's sad that a few talk to this person and do generic fetch was the key to unlocking the doors which had lack luster items anyways.
In reply to the they could not hide much surely they could have made a hidden dungeon with a super boss or something, example is the water way puzzle in ff12 a whole area of dungeon hidden and exposed by a cryptic puzzle once you got a key from killing a hunt which its self was a unique monster.

Pretty sure that's just modern gaming in general.
PSN: VileGlory

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#15
lightningxiii-2 posted...
Are you serious?
if you including gotterdammerung thats kinda invalid because you've done everything hard by the time you get it. i cant even remember whats a super good item other then that.
-------------
(edited 4 weeks ago)

og_megaman
4 weeks ago#16
tenpowers posted...
Pretty sure that's just modern gaming in general.
kind of sad it seems.
-------------
og_megaman posted...
if you including gotterdammerung thats kinda invalid because you've done everything hard by the time you get it. i cant even remember whats a super good item other then that.

All the side quests give you rewards, some are better than the others depending on the quest. I don't know why you're complaining so much. You expect too much. Extremely high expectations will never get satisfied.

User Info: MalakTawus

MalakTawus
4 weeks ago#18
FFVII-R' sidequests were good imo, most of them added something to the world or to the characters......and were not even boring.

Anyway FF games have never been about sidequests since the focus in those game is (with a few rare exceptions) almost always heavily on the main story.

"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."

User Info: Monkeh

Monkeh
4 weeks ago#19
Remake was designed to appeal to casual gamers as much as FF fans.
The side quests are mostly good and enjoyable but aren't long winded and sprawling.
The main quests are the same, mostly very enjoyable but mostly safe and fairly quick.
The quest lists in the log, especially the one showing the total number of side quests in that chapter, helped to show your progress and entice you that there's only a little bit more before you've completed the whole area.

Massive, 1/2-3/4 game spanning side quests are fun for rpg enthusiasts, but most casual gamers aren't interested, so shoe horning something in to Midgar had to either be fairly short (like Behemoth) or really would've had minimal return for their investment because these days, most people are more interested in banging through a game as quickly as they can rather than exploring well hidden secrets.

Maybe now they've hooked a lot of casuals into the series at the start, they'll expand more on the future instalments, but I won't be holding my breath. The chapter system makes it difficult to have the long side quests that had a lot of secrets to find in the same way that a fully open game does.

User Info: VayneSolo

VayneSolo
4 weeks ago#20
OldKye posted...
Another aspect to keep in mind is a lot of FF7R sidequests have to take place in a small area and you need to be able to quickly go back and do only half or all of those to switch out dresses for trophies and whatnot.
What'll be the excuse when parts 2 comes out and is an hallway simulator again where you can't really backtrack?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. Has square forgotten how to make good side quests?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A